Microsoft Office 365??? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

The Tech Zone Discussion on computers, software and games.

Advertise Here

Old 10-16-2019, 08:21 AM
VIP Member

Default Microsoft Office 365???

Advertise Here

Are any of y’all using Microsoft Office 365?

What do you think of it?

Does it actually install on your local computer, or is it a web app? Does save your files to your local hard drive, or only to some nebulous, abstract “Cloud” on a server in East Egypt or someplace?

I have searched Micro$ofts web sites trying to answer these questions and more, but I think they are deliberately vague.

Thanks,
Joe
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2019, 10:45 AM
Republic of Texas

Thanked 1,642 Times in 462 Posts

Functions the way it always has with the apps if you want to use them.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,292 Times in 8,913 Posts

I refuse to rent software. Use Libre Office for free and tell Bill to shove it.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

If you like it, you can chip in a few bucks
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:24 AM
Priorities. Col. 3:1-4

Yeah, MS is even subtly putting "service" language into Windows now. "Windows is a service and needs updates to continue functioning properly. When would you like to install these updates?"

Conditioning users to eventually accept renting it instead of buying it. When you have a near-monopoly, might as well wring your customers for a few more bucks. I might have a Mac in my future, as much as I also don't like Apple.
The Following User Says Thank You to Surviving Suburbia For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 08:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post

What do you think of it?

Does it actually install on your local computer, or is it a web app? Does save your files to your local hard drive, or only to some nebulous, abstract “Cloud” on a server in East Egypt or someplace?

I have searched Micro$ofts web sites trying to answer these questions and more, but I think they are deliberately vague.

Thanks,
Joe
Different tiers of Office 365 give you different features. There are tiers that only have web versions of the Office programs and may (or may not) restrict you to only being able to save files online. Other tiers give you access to the "desktop apps" which are the traditional Office programs. I believe that Publisher is now only available as part of O365.

O365 is a decent deal IF you would be using Office on more than one device. The Personal tier allows you to be signed in on up to 5 devices at once with no restriction on how many you can have it installed on. The family version does the same thing for up to 6 people.

A perpetually licensed version of Office Home and Student is about $150, can be used on only one computer, and only includes Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. A new version of office is released every three years. O365 gives you access to the latest versions of the programs, usually some time before they are released as perpetually licensed software.

Full disclosure, I work at an IT company where we sell O365 alongside other Microsoft software, but I try not to recommend things people don't need. If LibreOffice or one of the other free suites works for you, great! If you only need Office on one device, get the perpetually licensed version.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:09 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 5,739 Times in 1,370 Posts

Fought going to it for years, but am on it now and love it. We have multiple machines and it is nice to have the latest and greatest on all of them.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:18 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 8,558 Times in 3,231 Posts

I hate it. I won't use it on my personal computers. I have been able to save to my local hard drive. I don't believe you can use it offline, which is one of the things I hate.

And they are indeed deliberately vague. They don't want a lot of questions because they know you won't like the answers.

All this is an attempt to minimize your access to and control over the product. They don't make changes like this because it benefits YOU, only because it benefits them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ankylus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 08:12 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,888 Times in 7,549 Posts

I don't know what I'm going to do when MS obsoletes 8.1. I don't see any viable OS from MS after that. Their goal is to have all users paying a monthly fee and have all your work/files out on the cloud somewhere, and you PC will be nothing more that a dumb terminal. Windows 10 was their first step toward that goal. Its already been shown that the cloud isn't safe or secure. Do you feel comfortable with that? I don't.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 06:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,224 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose View Post

What do you think of it?

It is both. You can choose what to do or use.

Our office moved from traditional Office/Exchange to 365 couple years ago. 90% of the time I use Office programs, mostly Outlook on my laptop, only very rarely I do something with word or excel. My files are in my laptop and synced to company's file server. They are not in the cloud.

Additionally today when I got home from work, I accessed my Outlook web version and added couple calendar events using this very computer I have home.

I personally started had o365 Home edition (6 users, 5 devices each) since couple years ago. It normally costs 99/year. I won't do that, I hunt discounts and buy 29 or 39/year subscriptions instead.

I actually started to use Office 365 when Dropbox effectively killed their free accounts. So my main incentive is the Onedrive file sync between computers. Getting my own Word/Excel is a bonus. Before that I used not-so-valid version of Office 2007

As of right now I have O365 installed on two laptops, two iPads and my personal phone. That's 5 installations. I also have 1TB onedrive included and 60 minutes Skype calls every month (that I never actually use..).

I gave one user license to my friend, one is for my kid and I still have three left.

Should I want not to have O365 but I want to use Outlook, I could buy Office Home and Business. Right now its price is 279 for one computer.
Onedrive 1TB is 20/month (2/100GB).
No idea how much 60 minutes of Skype credits are worth.

For the price of one Office Home and Business I can get between 3 to 8 years of 365 for up to 30 computers. Which includes 720 to 1920 euros worth of Onedrive subscription (4320 to 11520 euros, if utilizing all 6 accounts) at that time. And 360 minutes of Skype calls every month for free.

If I needed just two Office H&B licenses more, the price difference would be huge, should one multiply it by 30 which is the max...

You could count how many months or years it takes to make Office Home and Business profitable vs. O365 subscription, especially if there is more than one user (husband, wife, two kids and they all have their own computers). I'm pretty sure the computers will die of old age before that date comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
I hate it. I won't use it on my personal computers. I have been able to save to my local hard drive. I don't believe you can use it offline, which is one of the things I hate.

And they are indeed deliberately vague. They don't want a lot of questions because they know you won't like the answers.

All this is an attempt to minimize your access to and control over the product. They don't make changes like this because it benefits YOU, only because it benefits them.
Web version obviously won't work. Offline versions of the programs work just fine offline.

The good part is Onedrive integration, I made an Excel sheet that has my van's expenses listed. I can edit it on my desktop, it saves automatically after every edit. Then I can continue editing it with my iPad. I can add fuel costs to the Excel sheet with my phone right after I've filled the tank.

Just one use scenario. I don't use Outlook at home, I prefer my webmail client.

Office 365 is subscription, yes. But it is a cheap one. Microsoft gains more if it keeps you in their ecosystem vs. should you use something else like free OpenOffice or Libreoffice and pay 120-200/year for Dropbox.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,224 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
I don't know what I'm going to do when MS obsoletes 8.1. I don't see any viable OS from MS after that. Their goal is to have all users paying a monthly fee and have all your work/files out on the cloud somewhere, and you PC will be nothing more that a dumb terminal. Windows 10 was their first step toward that goal. Its already been shown that the cloud isn't safe or secure. Do you feel comfortable with that? I don't.
You could make your own cloud: Nextcloud or Owncloud. Benefits of accessing your files online but they are stored where ever your desktop is. Just as secure as your desktop is, too.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:04 PM
VIP Member

Thanks, Y’all,

I really appreciate you guys input and insight on MS Office 365. I went ahead and got the multi-user, multi-device version for about $100 per year. I am not exactly impressed by it, but went with it anyway.

This all got started when my wife declared she must have Outlook on a new computer. We couldn’t find a reasonably priced, readily available copy of it anywhere. The O365 version seems to work OK, but I am not convinced that it is really very secure. She does like the Outlook365, but she (we) are having some issues with the other O365 programs.

I have used various incarnations of Linux for 25 or 30 years. I cut my teeth on SunOS, Solaris, and other flavors of UNIX, and I prefer them to other operating systems. I have preached Linux to her for years to no avail.

Finally she’s started reading articles on Linux, and she thinks the security, stability, price, update methods, and such that I have taken for granted for years maybe make sense after all.

Really, all I had to do was get her sufficiently PO’d at Microsoft that she has determined that she really can learn a new OS after all. I set up a user account for her on my Linux Mint laptop and she is now plugging away at Thunderbird and Libre Office, which I’ve liked much better than Microsoft products anyway.

She is an ex-school teacher, a retired RN, and just about as stubborn as a Government mule. But she’s finally come around to the Linux mindset, and she thinks it’s her idea.

I am currently running Linux Mint version 18.something. I I ran RedHat and CENTOS for years, but I really like the simplicity of Mint. I just might have won her over.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:07 PM
2nd Amendment zealot

Thanked 1,294 Times in 430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post
Yeah, MS is even subtly putting "service" language into Windows now. "Windows is a service and needs updates to continue functioning properly. When would you like to install these updates?"

Conditioning users to eventually accept renting it instead of buying it. When you have a near-monopoly, might as well wring your customers for a few more bucks. I might have a Mac in my future, as much as I also don't like Apple.
Apple is not any better.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Suburbia View Post

Try a free Linux version.
The Following User Says Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 05:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,033 Times in 1,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
Linux. Research which free version you might like to play with...and try it.
https://www.linux.org/pages/download/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thess02 For This Useful Post: