Fabric Backpack Vs. Hardshell backpack - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
I travel light

Thanked 3,234 Times in 730 Posts

Advertise Here

Good arguments!

As I mentioned somewhere, zippers in my reputed brand backpack (swissgear) went to loose and almost cause me an accident. The responsible? aging. I take care of my gear exactly because of these things. However, itīs hard to find anything imported in Venezuela these days. And thatīs what I would like to avoid. Iīm starting to think about getting a hard case for my laptop and tablet, and shove it into my Alice, and get some smaller hard cases for fragile items. I would have to look for some other space for my cookies though :D
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 02:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,902 Times in 6,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5791 View Post
Good arguments!

As I mentioned somewhere, zippers in my reputed brand backpack (swissgear) went to loose and almost cause me an accident. The responsible? aging. I take care of my gear exactly because of these things. However, itīs hard to find anything imported in Venezuela these days.
I have a Swissgear laptop bag as well. It's a good bag, but not a "GOOD" bag, I can see it breaking down with hard use. Targus fits that same classification, IMHO.

I like the Jansport day bags for my PC. North Face makes some solid day bags too.

Quote:
Iīm starting to think about getting a hard case for my laptop and tablet,
Good idea.
Can you Amazon there? Look up a Pelican 1075 for a tablet.

Quote:
I would have to look for some other space for my cookies though :D
They might fit inside another MSR cooking pot.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 11:09 AM
I travel light

Iīve been thinking lately that, with the same amount of money I could get a really "GOOD" backpack, without too many zippers, and with a top loader configuration. After the zipper fiasco I would not advice anyone to keep trusting in those things.

Maybe theyīre a modern invention but no thanks. Top loader backpack for me.

There must be a good framed pack somewhere.

Yep, Iīve tried pelicans, those things are just awesome. Iīve been reconsidering the hardshell thing: a top loader, no zippers backpack, with a bunch of non-zippered top loader pouches MOLLEd all over is way lighter.

Dang...and I used to mock my ex a lot for being so picky. Now Iīm being worst.

However, Iīd consider a hard shell for electronics (HAM radio, PVP, battery, tablet/laptop,inverter) and other stuff, but in a trolley to drag. This could be attached to the backpack, and carry some heavy stuff.

Yeup...I think thatīs the why Iīd go. A good backpack (hard shell I found and is in the picture posted is almost 350$), a pelican laptop case, and a pelican top loader clone (under 80$ plus shipping), with a trolley (Iīve got old bike parts already to build it). That should be enough for say 50 kilograms. 10 in the pack (I canīt carry too much weight) and the remaining 40 in the trolley.
On the other hand...maybe I should keep the ALICE. Itīs got an inside pocket where the laptop case can fit. Iīm already used to it. And the eyelets in the bottom is a feature that interests me a LOT, to drain water. Iīll got a cover in blue for city use, though.

Jeez, this has been one of the most useful threads in life.

Will leave it open just in case someone else wants to join and comment.

Thanks everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 12:55 PM

My world was shattered open after years of using Mil-Spec bags when my cousin introduced me to Osprey Packs. Light weight, durable ( I’m by no means gentle on my gear), rip stop nylon, some models come with a packable rain cover, and it’s low key. I now own 3 bags 1 EDC that comes to work with me, 1 extended trip pack for those weeks out in the woods, and a hardcore duffle that will take one hell of a beating. My edc is 20L and I am constantly amazed at the endless space I have to put gear in there. Worth taking a look hopefully you’ll find something that fits your needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GraniteState911 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 03:20 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,009 Times in 3,629 Posts

Hardshell pack is just a waste unless you have something that you specifically need to protect. The hardshell allows for MUCH less versatility while adding weight and bulk.

As for Pelican "clones" you will find that they seal less well (if at all) and the plastic tends to be more brittle thus prone to breakage.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 10:44 PM

I prefer simple business backpacks. Black color, nice materials and all the necessary pockets I need. For example, eBags professional slim edition (from here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/). Isn't it great in it's simplicity? And there is no need to overpay for some additional things, if you won't use them for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to thomas321 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 12:01 AM
I travel light

Post Thatīs what I opened the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas321 View Post
I prefer simple business backpacks. Black color, nice materials and all the necessary pockets I need. For example, eBags professional slim edition (from here: https://10luggage.com/best-business-backpacks/). Isn't it great in it's simplicity? And there is no need to overpay for some additional things, if you won't use them for sure.
Exactly. What I like of hard shells itīs their ability to withstand abuse that a fabric backpack wonīt endure.
And as Iīm starting my very own anti-zipper crusade...

I just watch those incredibly expensive "Emergency backpacks" being sold for 1000$ or even more, and filled up with tons of stuff that perhaps you hardly will use. I mean, an average guy who works in the middle of a medium or large city is really going to walk, bugging out for say 50-60 miles for 2 or 3 days? is he/she going to need hooks and a fishing line? is he really able to fish and eat whatever he can catch while woods surrounding the city are probably being invaded by tenths of marauders looking for...whatever?
Maybe he would have to jump, swim across water bodies silently at night to avoid dangerous places. If heīs not in good shape he will need some buoyancy other than his own "onboard" lifesavers. Iīd rather to have 10 kilos of water, food and clothes, spare boots, just one simple multi-tool and some other basic items than anything else. Duct tape? heavy and perhaps wonīt needed an entire roll. For the field, I believe it could be better to use heavy duty paracord, lighter and you could carry a huge amount in a compact setup. A good Brazilian made bowie or my tomahak, in a thigh sheat, and a smaller knife in the lower back, horizontal sheathing. A folding rocket stove, a portable filter, a couple of army canteens and a 4 liters bladder inside the pack for drinking water, and thatīs it.

I know a business pack wonīt do it for me. I had a couple of good quality ones and just the sun, rain and wind resistance tore them apart in months.
On the other hand I canīt use my 80s Alice nor my more recent 90s Alice model. They would stop me at gun point, take me down and thrown in jail if I dare to carry something that says USMC on it. Without asking a question.

Maybe for someone in the USA or some other country where carrying military spec material is not dangerous, perhaps combining the old faithful Alice with a couple of good waterproof cases for the electronics is the way to go after all.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Exactly. What I like of hard shells itīs their ability to withstand abuse that a fabric backpack wonīt endure.

I just watch those incredibly expensive "Emergency backpacks" being sold for 1000$ or even more, and filled up with tons of stuff that perhaps you hardly will use. I mean, an average guy who works in the middle of a medium or large city is really going to walk, bugging out for say 50-60 miles for 2 or 3 days? is he/she going to need hooks and a fishing line? is he really able to fish and eat whatever he can catch while woods surrounding the city are probably being invaded by tenths of marauders looking for...whatever?
Maybe he would have to jump, swim across water bodies silently at night to avoid dangerous places. If heīs not in good shape he will need some buoyancy other than his own "onboard" lifesavers. Iīd rather to have 10 kilos of water, food and clothes, spare boots, just one simple multi-tool and some other basic items than anything else. Duct tape? heavy and perhaps wonīt needed an entire roll. For the field, I believe it could be better to use heavy duty paracord, lighter and you could carry a huge amount in a compact setup. A good Brazilian made bowie or my tomahak, in a thigh sheat, and a smaller knife in the lower back, horizontal sheathing. A folding rocket stove, a portable filter, a couple of army canteens and a 4 liters bladder inside the pack for drinking water, and thatīs it.

I know a business pack wonīt do it for me. I had a couple of good quality ones and just the sun, rain and wind resistance tore them apart in months.
On the other hand I canīt use my 80s Alice nor my more recent 90s Alice model. They would stop me at gun point, take me down and thrown in jail if I dare to carry something that says USMC on it. Without asking a question.

Maybe for someone in the USA or some other country where carrying military spec material is not dangerous, perhaps combining the old faithful Alice with a couple of good waterproof cases for the electronics is the way to go after all.
You could be naked and venzeula would still be dangerous.

What law covers camo clothing havn't seen any laws prohibiting wearing 20 year old camo patterns in Venzeula. Alice is archaeic and not USGI currently.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,899 Times in 4,200 Posts

Quote:
It also depends on the hard-shell; I've seen cracked rifle cases from lesser brands. Never seen anything damaged from Pelican or Storm-Cases. I still think your experience with fabric packs didn't include combat-environment built packs. I could list the amount of abuse my packs have endured, and some have zippers. Zero issues. Even when navigating sharp coral, you can see wear spots, but not punctures or rips. Add in typical combat travel and packs are tossed, stepped on, ratcheted down, pulled, smashed, endure sleet, snow, rain, dust storms, etc. I can understand your viewpoint, but I would suspect it's from lower tier packs. This issue is always that quality costs.

Quote:
I mean, an average guy who works in the middle of a medium or large city is really going to walk, bugging out for say 50-60 miles for 2 or 3 days?
I hear this and don't disagree. However, I think anybody who serious about having a bug out bag they actually expect to carry on foot would take their phsyical fitness serious. I do a ton of distance backpacking. For 50-60 miles, I would realistically average about 10-12 miles a day. Once I hit that 50-60 miles and get my trail-legs, I can stretch (trail terrain) my pace to 15-18 miles a day. But your point is spot on, many are clueless about pack weight and realistic travel distance; even with that, my backpacking conditions don't include extreme weather, non-permissive conditions, or security stressors...

Quote:
Maybe he would have to jump, swim across water bodies silently at night to avoid dangerous places. If heīs not in good shape he will need some buoyancy other than his own "onboard" lifesavers.
While location drives requirements, we have numerous areas where water-crossings are necessary. While we always used a waterproof pack liner, it wasn't just for keeping dry kit dry. If appropriately sealed, your pack becomes a very effective floatation device. I've done numerous tests of swimming across rivers, swamps, lakes, and simulating "falls" from diving boards with a pack and waterproof liner. You have a very feasible flotation device and if done properly, will keep you kit dry if not submersed for long term.

Quote:
Iīd rather to have 10 kilos of water, food and clothes, spare boots, just one simple multi-tool and some other basic items than anything else. Duct tape? heavy and perhaps wonīt needed an entire roll. For the field, I believe it could be better to use heavy duty paracord, lighter and you could carry a huge amount in a compact setup. A good Brazilian made bowie or my tomahak, in a thigh sheat, and a smaller knife in the lower back, horizontal sheathing. A folding rocket stove, a portable filter, a couple of army canteens and a 4 liters bladder inside the pack for drinking water, and thatīs it.
While this is pretty common sense for an emergency load, 10-kilos of water could be mitigated with a quality water filter...seriously. Water is that single item that really adds weight to your pack and if you have any access to water sources, you can free up a significant part of your pack weight. The challenge is location and water sources, but where I've backpacked, I rarely carry more than 2-3 liters of water and filter/re-fill every few hours. On the flip side, I've backpacked into camp areas in deserts where we had to haul in water...it wasn't more than few miles and it sucked carrying 4-5 gallons of water.

Quote:

Again location dependent, we are subject to scrutiny with a very military-looking pack; some have zero concerns. Even if you had a military designed pack or even a hunting pack (civilian camo), a rain pack cover is an option to mute the look. I've actually reversed the concept. I have a hunter-designed Seek Outside pack that looks more like a typical backpacking pack. The material is waterproof so I don't need a rain cover, but I do have a camo cover for the purpose of stashing my pack in a cache. Camo is really not a necessity as most know it's movement that attracts attention. Solid, muted, drab colors are often more than effective if the user isn't sprinting through the woods.

I know you don't care for zippers and having seen a blown-out pack on the trail (and the poor guy was carrying most his stuff in a garbage bag), but I also have to say that quality zippers and quality fabric packs are more than capable for extreme bugout scenarios and will take significant abuse without failure. Now, if cost and access are issues, that's more than understandable and would likely push you into different directions.

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 10:59 PM
I travel light

Angry "Laws"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
You could be naked and venzeula would still be dangerous.

What law covers camo clothing havn't seen any laws prohibiting wearing 20 year old camo patterns in Venzeula. Alice is archaeic and not USGI currently.
Do you think that national guards there need to mention a law to kick peopleīs butt and drag them to jail?

Dude I lived there until 2 years ago. Even those thugs accusing you verbally of being "enemy of the revolution" will get you in deep biological waste.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:16 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,952 Times in 7,101 Posts

Ty strapping a Pelican/Hardigg Storm case on your back, as a pack.
It doesn't work out well. Hard cases have their place, but IMHO …...NOT on your back.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:34 PM
I travel light

Yep...I canīt spend any more money though. Maybe I will need to repair my old backpack and will find some day a couple of waterproof cases to use with my Alice pack. The little detail is, that backpack is in Venezuela and I need it here. Dang.

And it is an army original issued, not an aftermarket cheap clone. Good thing is, I made a small research today and thereīs plenty of cheap old new stock of pouches for that packs, something I donīt have. Anyway I bought an army canteen back in Ecuador, and want to buy some other 3 and the flat shelf but the military thick original plate, not the civilian version, which is much weaker. A good feature I like of my Alice is the grommets in the bottom of everything. A not so good, is rust.. it is really an issue. I already lost one of the belt hinges...but considering I was like 15 when bought it, and now I am over 40, well, it held up pretty good.

If someone there has an idea how to replace it or repair it, let me know
Old 10-21-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Do you think that national guards there need to mention a law to kick peopleīs butt and drag them to jail?

Dude I lived there until 2 years ago. Even those thugs accusing you verbally of being "enemy of the revolution" will get you in deep biological waste.

OK thanks for clarifying there is no law in Venezuela prohibiting use of camoflague backpacks.

Dude if this was the case the entire Opposition would be in jail. Good day

The national guard isn't in the business of beating people up at random.

If you were really from Venezuela you'd be talking about abuses by the colectivos, not the national guard.

The national guard are there to protect people, not to attack innocent people.

Now if you were protesting with the backpack on you might be targeted but it would be because you were a dissident not because you were wearing the backpack.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:31 PM
I travel light

Post So, you say I am not Venezuelan because....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Ashley View Post
OK thanks for clarifying there is no law in Venezuela prohibiting use of camoflague backpacks.

Dude if this was the case the entire Opposition would be in jail. Good day

The national guard isn't in the business of beating people up at random.

If you were really from Venezuela you'd be talking about abuses by the colectivos, not the national guard.

The national guard are there to protect people, not to attack innocent people.

Now if you were protesting with the backpack on you might be targeted but it would be because you were a dissident not because you were wearing the backpack.
Ashley, youīve been trolling everyone in every post you happen to get into.

Itīs fine by me.

But you are spreading misinformation.
1. This thread is not intended to be a political one. I just mention that using my Alice pack is going to be a huge inconvenience in a roadblock because the National Guard IN MY COUNTRY will take it. Simple and plain.
2. I have written enough about this colectivos stuff, just not here because I have limited time: Iīm elaborating content in some of my own sites.

Feel free to visit http://www.theorganicprepper.com/cat...from-venezuela
The website owner knows me and she has provided me with space for writing for more than one year, giving advice about how we have been dealing with things and an update of the collapse of the economy.