Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,097 Times in 6,119 Posts

Advertise Here

I do not go any where without my drawing gear (Graph paper and mechanical pencil. it's my life style .
I have roughly a dozen different things I'm working on some in process and some still on paper.
Long as I can stay dry I can work .
As for lights I never go any where without lights and spare batteries.even a small solar panel and rechargeable.
I have a lantern that is a crank generator and can charge most things.
If I knew the adverse conditions I was going into I might add other charging capabilities for wind.
Having flame light means a certain amount of extra care needs to be exercised and you don't dare fall asleep. LED lights are such a boon to camping and living off grid, relieves this concern.
I value my sanity, such as it is , so the added weight is worth the investment.

Some camping excursions I take one of my Autobon Society books on insects or other of my many interests.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to arleigh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 05:54 AM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 12,352 Times in 5,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
Learn to design things in your head. Its very rewarding when you can actually build something without written plans. No paper, pencils or lighting required, no computer/electricity needed either for rudimentary stuff.

I design stuff all the time, it's a hobby. More entertaining that crossword puzzles and almost anything on the idiot box.
I like to write. My "Ability" to write in such a way as to tell the story is...lets say....lack luster.

However, I do come up with really good stories.

Part of my writing consist of laying there and "Story boarding". This is where I kind of lay out the framework of the story in my head. Then I go through each section and visualize the story as if I was watching it on TV.

It gives me time to work out details, think through various options for story line and all that.

The process can take all afternoon before I am actually ready to begin writing it all down.

So when I am caught in the rain, thats what I do.

The other thing I do, is I have a 10x10 tarp that I can set up over/ in front of my hammock. This gives me an area in front of it that I can stand up and move around a little.

This gives me the ability to do some light Kung Fu, like work on footwork drills, deep breathing exercises, posture holding, drill my hand combos etc... and all that kind of stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 08:21 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,429 Times in 4,396 Posts

Coldest I've ever been camping is -10 in Ohio. A mud covered debris hut, w/Dakota firepit. Pretty cozy. I'd make cordage, arrowheads, whatever I needed to do to make survival a little easier. Never board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 01:42 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 12,550 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragunov View Post
Coldest I've ever been camping is -10 in Ohio. A mud covered debris hut, w/Dakota firepit. Pretty cozy. I'd make cordage, arrowheads, whatever I needed to do to make survival a little easier. Never board.
MY COLDEST on a tent camp was -18 on a moose hunt. The fire in the little stove had gone out.
The water was frozen in the bucket.

What woke me up were the 3 other guys in the tent shivering making those vivivvivivivvishsshisisish sounds of people really cold.
I woke up, I was sweating in my bag. Sometime during the night I had double zipped my bag and pulled the hood tight. A big old fashioned real down Slumberjack mummy bag that was the longest one they made. I would keep my clothes in the foot so they would be warm for the next morning.
my danger...
I knew if those guys had any idea how warm my bag was they would kill me for it. I slowly zipped open and let my body temp come down then got into my clothes in the bag(another reason why BIG is good. It was definitely crisp that AM. Have been on lots colder hunts but usually had more protection than a canvas wall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,336 Times in 7,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
Bump uglies with the significant other.
Even that can get boring surprisingly fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 11:37 AM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,429 Times in 4,396 Posts

Just saying... I wouldn't be caught dead in a tent in the winter. I always built a debris hut, with a Dakota firepit. MUCH warmer!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dragunov For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Bugged out already

Thanked 8,808 Times in 3,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Even that can get boring surprisingly fast.
You might be doing it wrong!
The Following User Says Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 03:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,964 Times in 1,981 Posts

Years ago, a friend of mine went on a guided hunt in Montana and shared a tent with Mike Mansfield. He said Mike's guard was a a little uptight but Mike told him it was OK. He said Mike was an interesting guy, full of stories.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 05:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,009 Times in 2,878 Posts

When it is really cold I sleep in my Expedition. I have an electric mattress pad. At night I plug it into my battery pack. I also bring a DVD player and watch movies. When it is light outside I read. A nice glass of crown royal also helps the time pass
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 08:46 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 25,745 Times in 5,114 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I don't remember ever being bored in a tent since I have slept in tents as long as I can remember all over the Rocky Mountains and mainly on my mtn retreat since 1988. All kinds of tents although not tents that cost over $200.

And most people likely would get bored since I set my tent up around mid June and took it down in October sometimes into Nov. I did that for 23 summers from 1988 to 2014 sleeping in a different tent each summer.

The time I almost got bored was when I had to stay in my tent for about two weeks since I had slipped on a wet slippery slope when I was digging the 20 x 10 x 9 foot deep hole for my bunker. I was sure my ankle was just slightly sprained but still hurt to walk on it. If it was worse, bleeding or broken I would have driven myself to the nearest hospital 60 miles away.

Like most times when I was sleeping and living in my tent tents I did whatever I could. That time I was injured so that I could not walk very well and many times when it would rain for 3 or so days or was snowy I would mainly read. I don't read paper books hardly at all in a city but I have read many dozens of books etc. on my mtn place.

I also listen to the radio and best reception is at night getting some stations many hundreds of miles away.

Plus thinking, planning, especially planning the next day's work, hiking etc. And especially that almost two weeks I had to be in the tent I watched wildlife. A tent is I think, a great blind and animals easily get used to it.
I have seen about every Rocky Mountain animal except grizzley bears and I would just as soon not see grizz.

I also had a good bird identification book and I checked most of the birds off in that book, I think well over 100 different birds. Even a hermit thrush which is well camouflaged and I only saw it that one time since 1988.

I also saw bears, many deer even a herd of elk - all cows and calves - walking - grazing - down my private dirt road. That was in September 2002 on a Tuesday when almost no neighbors with distant cabins were up there. I remember that real well. Two deer were looking down at the herd of elk while I was way above looking at them all.

I also saw a chipmunk almost get caught by a small hawk and another chipmunk that did not make it since a pine marten chased the chipmunk up a tree and ate it.

I have not been "trapped" or stuck only in tents but the one pic below shows the large pickup truck I slept in for 4 days during a blizzard. That was in October 2009 and I did get a couple more pics even one especially of a black bears claw that I saw real close up through the back window of the truck. I also read 3 books those days in that truck and I had about two weeks of food and five gallons of water in the truck. I did not have to start the truck for warmth except a couple times since I had a good sleeping bag.

Lots more I could tell about but maybe someday with some new pics about my cold very snowy time this past Fall until Nov. 29th. Below are a couple pics and I had more old pics but the greedy photobucket deleted all the pics. My newer pics over the past few years are on Imgur. These two pics I found on google since I guess, they are archived and glad I found these ten plus year old pics. The pickup truck pic I took in a break of the snow when it snowed for 4 days.

The other pic shows my tent with a fence around it. I usually did not sleep in a tent with a wire or any fence unless I saw and heard bears around. It would slow bears down anyway. But I also marked my area and anyway when I woke up one morning in late October more than ten years ago I felt the tent roof only 2 inches from my face. I pushed and got out of that tent fast. There was about a foot of heavy wet snow that crushed the tent. Here is the old photo which only shows the part of the tent sticking up out of the snow.

More later if / when I create a new long pic thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 09:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,002 Times in 1,068 Posts

I dont really tent camp, I usually build something. Depending on where, when and why i am where i am. I usually go to the mountains for archery deer season in august and stay through bear season at the end of december. My camp continually evolves through the seasons (hunting and weather). So by the end of general deer season, a summer lean to has morphed into an A frame with a fireplace, front porch, benches and a bunk. So I'm pretty comfortable to begin with and busy hunting and getting comfortable. I'm also a huge Louis Lamour fan. Cant count how many times I've read all his books. I usually take 4 or 5 books with me. When the weather starts getting really cold and the snow starts flying I've usually got a shed shelter built for the horses so we can share fireplace heat, although southern Idaho mustangs dont really need it. Sometimes I'll retell the books to the horses, lol. They seem to enjoy it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cowboypapa For This Useful Post: