Best 22LR Ammo - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 10-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,830 Times in 7,527 Posts

Advertise Here

I stopped by Wally World and picked up a pack of CCI 40g minimags. When I got home I noticed it said "Target" on them and 1235 FPS. I'll make another trip to see what else they have in CCI 40g. I'll give the Target ones a try, but know nothing about them. Are they any better or worse?

I was polking around on the Internet and I read that Remington has improved the Thunderbolt, but they didn't say how.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 06:22 PM
Just One More Gun

My favorites are CCI , any flavor. Killed a lot of squirrels and bunny rabbits with Stingers in my old Marlin 600 ( same as the model 60, but with a better trigger). The velocitors are also good. Mini mag were less accurate in my rifle (1” at 50yards), but still plenty for what I do with open sights.

I also like Aguila standard velocity plated round nosed.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:02 PM
Wayfinder

CCI Velocitor hollowpoints. Yeah you can't go deer or hog or bear hunting with them, nor should you try with a 22.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitbull_Dallas View Post
The title says it all really. What, in your opinion, is the best, most accurate 22LR round? I've got a new, scoped, Marlin bolt rifle and I'm about to go out and sight it in. I've got a couple of bricks of Remington, but I'm sure there's better stuff out there. I always like to sight with the ammo I plan on using, so now would be a good time to change if necessary..

Edit: I did search, but didn't find an answer..
Check out RimfireCentral.com

CCI SV is gonna be the best bang for the buck in domestic ammo. Solid accuray, very few duds and a case of 5k delivered for 250ish.
After that...SK Magazine/Standard plus is going to be 45-60 a brick. Same goes for RWS Rifle target.
SK,Eley,RWS,Lapua...all vastly better than the domestic producers.

Right now, SGAMMO has 5ķ rounds of RWS SSHP for 260.00 it is some of the 22 hunting ammo going and that is a banging price. I have bought two cases of it this year. I bought 4 bricks at 55 a brick about 5 years ago.
Old 10-18-2019, 11:29 PM
In the woods

Quote:
I stopped by Wally World and picked up a pack of CCI 40g minimags. When I got home I noticed it said "Target" on them and 1235 FPS. I'll make another trip to see what else they have in CCI 40g. I'll give the Target ones a try, but know nothing about them. Are they any better or worse?

I was polking around on the Internet and I read that Remington has improved the Thunderbolt, but they didn't say how.

Ok, so when a projectile moves through the air it makes two different waves, one at the front of the round, one at the back. As the round moves closer to that magical 1125 fps (sea level) those waves move closer together, eventually making a mini "sonic boom" as the round crosses the plain. This causes a little disruption in the flight of the projectile, and can lead to minor inaccuracy. Most benchers shoot subsonic rounds to eliminate that variable of passing through the window, allowing them to eliminate one variable when trying to dial in a shot. At long distances you can effectively turn your .22 subsonic into a mortar shot ( holding 10 feet over POI to hit the gong at distance ).

What you bought is a compromise between accuracy and energy. The round, at 1235 fps (CPRN or LRN? Referencing my DOPE says that's most likely) will pass through the sound barrier where as pure CCI target LRN rounds have a muzzle velocity of around 1070 fps, well below the sound barrier. Keep in mind that the slower a round moves and the lighter it is, the more it is effected by atmospheric conditions.

This is what I find so fascinating about shooting .22 LR at distance, trying to mentally dial in all these variables while physically performing under pressure. ARMTX77 made a great point, rimfirecentral is full of charts and info from geeks more obsessed with .22 shooting than me, and you can find my profile there under the same username.

The whole Remington Thunderturd thing was a poop-show years back. We shot a few bricks out of our semi autos and you could literally hear the difference in the pitch of the crack when you pulled the trigger. Obviously a crappy powder or terrible quality control in the amount of powder loaded. I haven't bought any since.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Billy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 AM
Survivor

The CCI I got is CPRN. I'll see what else they have this morning. I do have a brick of the Golden CPRN. I may just use that to zero..

Edit: While this thread has been running, I've been searching the net. I have to admit the CCI seems to have the best overall ratings for accuracy and dependability. Haven't seen much said about the Remington Golden and the Thunderbolt still takes the bottom ranking..
Old 10-19-2019, 08:55 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,275 Times in 380 Posts

Ditto. Test and find out what "your" gun likes. That being said, there is a reason 99% of rim fire benchrest competitors use Eley and Lapua.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milsurpfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
The CCI I got is CPRN. I'll see what else they have this morning. I do have a brick of the Golden CPRN. I may just use that to zero..[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

Edit: While this thread has been running, I've been searching the net. I have to admit the CCI seems to have the best overall ratings for accuracy and dependability. Haven't seen much said about the Remington Golden and the Thunderbolt still takes the bottom ranking..
If you are going domestic, go with CCI. Stay away from GreenTag, just based on price..at that price point, you are getting into some high end ammo prices and GreenTag is not shooting at that price point.

FOR ME(emphasis mine) I stay away from bulk packaged ammo unless it is SK Magazine or ELEY CMP. The juice is just not worth the squeeze in terms of accuracy, dirtiness, duds and QA/QC.

I recently gave a good friend of mine a 10/22 Delux, with Nikon 2-7 mounted on it and a Montana sling. He wanted to spend 250.00 on one type of ammo...RWS SSHP because is can be found so cheap and is a great small game round. Had RWS not been so cheap, it would have been CCI SV.

If you really want to squeeze every bit out of your rifle? Lighten the trigger to 2 1/2lbs and bench test 5 or 6 flavors of ammo.

Go spend some time in the Marlin section and 22LR ammo section of Rimfirecentral.com. You will learn more in a weekend, reading through there, than most could hope to find in a lifetime. Truly one of, if not the best firearm forum in the internet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 04:54 PM
Survivor

Well, went to the woods and zeroed using the CCI MiniMag Target rounds I got yesterday (love the one shot zero technique by the way). I'm consistently hanging 1/4"-1/2" of center at 50 yards. Had to stop because the sun was in my eyes and washing out the scope. Love the crack those rounds make and the repeatability.

Picked up some CCI 40g minimag varmint and Winchester super X at Cabellas to add to the Thunderbolt and Gold that I already have. Tomorrow, I'll check my zero using the CCI Target and then see what the other four do in comparison, without any sighting changes.

I really do like the way the Target rounds performed today. At least for now, you've made a CCI believer out of me..

I found some CCI MiniMag 40g CPRN on Ammoseek for $29/500. I may order those tomorrow as well since the CCI selection in the stores around here sux..
The Following User Says Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 06:52 AM
MortarMaggot

Thanked 3,137 Times in 1,195 Posts

My favorite is CCI, especially Mini-Mag. I stock a wide variety of stuff though, especially when it's on sale, but try to stick with copper plated U.S. Mfg. I do have a lot of bare lead stuff too. Back in the late 90's or early 2K's I bought 10K rounds each of Remington Thunderbolt & Cyclone as it was on sale dirt cheap & came with some throw ins when you ordered a certain amount. If you only have a couple 22's you can probably get by stocking just 1 or 2 types of ammo once you find out which ones they like.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Lots of good points here, primary are try lots of ammo, find what you’re particular rifle likes, then buy it deep, now.

Also great point finally brought up to buy NOW, since now is so boring in comparison to 2013-15. No excuse to not be stocking up on ammo now if you didn’t prior to ‘12 and got caught empty through ‘13 and beyond. Thread hijack I know, just good to see someone point out the invisible obvious.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,817 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
What was/is the problem with Thunderbolts? One of my bricks is thunderbolt. Bought it during the shortage..
They used to be the worst...many duds, no accuracy, no consistency.

They’ve gotten better in the last few years.

I’d say take your brick out and see how it works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 10:38 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
They used to be the worst...many duds, no accuracy, no consistency.

They’ve gotten better in the last few years.

I’d say take your brick out and see how it works.
Gonna do that and compare to that and several others. I'll try to get photos of each target and kind, and I'll post them up. Should be a good visual comparison and should be pretty accurate since I'm shooting using a sled. I've got the .22 with the CCI Target loads pretty well zeroed, so the difference should be evident..

Unfortunately it will be a few days since the storms rolled through last night and left behind 2 1/2 inches of rain. Where I shoot will be a mud bog for a few..:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,817 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
Gonna do that and compare to that and several others. I'll try to get photos of each target and kind, and I'll post them up. Should be a good visual comparison and should be pretty accurate since I'm shooting using a sled. I've got the .22 with the CCI Target loads pretty well zeroed, so the difference should be evident..

Unfortunately it will be a few days since the storms rolled through last night and left behind 2 1/2 inches of rain. Where I shoot will be a mud bog for a few..:
I hear that...and our mud is iced over in the AM....

Looking forward to that, like I said, they’ve gotten better, but my bias still makes it hard to trust them, so I haven’t gotten serious about how good they might be. Your efforts will be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2019, 11:42 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,765 Times in 6,388 Posts

Quote:

Don't forget that it's best practice to shoot at least a coupla dozen rounds of any ammo you try, to "condition the bore", before you start judging it for groups. Not so critical with bulk ammo and consumer-grade rifles, but it does make a difference in my single-shot target rifles. Only rifle I ever tested where it didn't matter at all was an older 10/22, which couldn't hit a barn from the inside anyway, not matter what it was fed.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM
Survivor

Went to check out my shooting spot this morning since my yard is drying up and no joy. Muddy as hell and there's standing water where I sit my shooting bench. Beautiful day for shooting too. There is rain in the forecast for tomorrow, so it's gonna take a while, but I will do what I said and post up the photos..
Old 10-28-2019, 05:59 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,318 Times in 1,026 Posts

Quote:
What was/is the problem with Thunderbolts? One of my bricks is thunderbolt. Bought it during the shortage..
You already bought it- go shoot it.. The worst case is you're going to have some or too many duds; maybe lead up the barrel some; .. Some people have lots of duds with the brand; aka Thunderduds. Some boxes have a high amount of duds; some OK; I expect a few duds in a bulk pack of 500 or more.. Thunderduds were the only one I ever shot that leaded up a barrel completely, but it was probably more me than anything.. Another box shot fine; nowhere near as many duds. Personally, I'll avoid buying Thunderduds; you bought the box during an ammo shortage; go buy a few more boxes of something else, and shoot what thunderbolts you have; have fun doing it..

FWIW, I don't know if I have any packs of thunderduds left. If I find some, probably will either shoot them, or give them away.. Anyways, they'll get shot..
Old 10-28-2019, 06:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,461 Times in 3,873 Posts

I like the bulk pack Remington Golden Bullets and Federal ammo for plinking.

If you are wanting to show up at a competition where they shoot 22LR at 100yds off hand. You probably want to look at RWS & Eley.