Bedliner on Pickup Truck "Paint" Job? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 05:00 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,025 Times in 18,709 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Advertise Here

I did a little checking locally. There's a guy who used to do this for a living who's going to give me a quote as a side job. He no longer does it but may be willing to do it for the right price. Still waiting to hear back from him.

U-POL Raptor claims that one gallon of liquid liner is enough to coat a full sized pick up truck. That doesn't sound like muck weight would be added to the truck. Even two coats (two gallons) would weigh much. I watched a few more DIY videos and it appears that the results could look pretty good.

My truck is a 2003 and the black paint is oxidized (especially on the roof and hood). It has all the usual dents and dings. So far, there isn't a single rust spot on the body or underside. Since it only has 131,000 miles on it and has been well maintained (mechanically speaking) and runs like a top I may as well run it for another 130,000 miles which, if my calculations are right, should be another 15 years. No sense in making giant monthly payments on a new truck (not to mention in the insane cost of insurance). But, since I will be hanging on to it for awhile I'd like to find an inexpensive way to make it look a little nicer and to protect it from any future rust issues.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:03 PM
Longing For True Liberty

Thanked 54,025 Times in 18,709 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin90 View Post
When I was stationed in Alaska, one of the civilians at the range had his Toyota painted with the green CARC paint and it looked good. I would go that route or a regular paint with a satin clearcoat before I would add all of the weight of completely painting it with bedliner.
I used to work for Birdon America (Namjet) where we made Bridge Erection Boats for the US Army. We painted all of our boats with CARC and it was pretty awesome. We had the painter include a rough, sand-like finish for added durability and anti-slip properties. Had I thought about it back then, I would have purchased a couple of gallons of it for myself at cost since I was the purchaser at the time.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,205 Times in 8,092 Posts

One of our guys with a truck had a liner, it was good for a good 15 years before it started getting a little worn, and that is hauling a bed full of vending supplies every week.

I would do the liner.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 08:28 PM
Target Shooter

I had a Jeep CJ that the previous owner had professionally sprayed with white bedliner over the entire exterior and most of the interior. Because of the texture it was difficult to clean and over the years became impossible to really get back to white.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:38 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,486 Times in 1,169 Posts

AS SOMEONE else said.. about using bedliner on the paint for protection..

I taped off the top half of my Cherokee and used the Rustoleum rattle can bedliner from Wally world and other places to provide rock and brush protection for my Jeep. Goes on easy and put on several coats while it was taped up.

Stopped all the nicks and scratches from road debris and brush from trails.

I also use it for bed protection for my various trailers. It isn't as thick using the rattle can as some other applications but it has been pretty good protection for my uses and it touches up very quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,991 Times in 3,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I did a little checking locally. There's a guy who used to do this for a living who's going to give me a quote as a side job. He no longer does it but may be willing to do it for the right price. Still waiting to hear back from him.

U-POL Raptor claims that one gallon of liquid liner is enough to coat a full sized pick up truck. That doesn't sound like muck weight would be added to the truck. Even two coats (two gallons) would weigh much. I watched a few more DIY videos and it appears that the results could look pretty good.

My truck is a 2003 and the black paint is oxidized (especially on the roof and hood). It has all the usual dents and dings. So far, there isn't a single rust spot on the body or underside. Since it only has 131,000 miles on it and has been well maintained (mechanically speaking) and runs like a top I may as well run it for another 130,000 miles which, if my calculations are right, should be another 15 years. No sense in making giant monthly payments on a new truck (not to mention in the insane cost of insurance). But, since I will be hanging on to it for awhile I'd like to find an inexpensive way to make it look a little nicer and to protect it from any future rust issues.
One gallon is NOT going to coat an entire truck. It would barely coat just the bed but would be sprayed on so thin it wouldn't provide much protection.

Since you apparently don't care how the truck looks (bed liner always looked like ass on the vehicles I have seen it used on the exterior) simply get a few cans of automotive spray paint and rattle can it.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:58 AM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,330 Times in 838 Posts

My sons first car, a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee, was fully sprayed with Rhino lining. Or something very similar. It was obviously professionally applied and looked really good. Very durable. I can't compare before and after but I don't think it added to the weight significantly.
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 AM
Deo Vindice

Thanked 33,515 Times in 9,054 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_In_29 View Post
One gallon is NOT going to coat an entire truck. It would barely coat just the bed but would be sprayed on so thin it wouldn't provide much protection.

Since you apparently don't care how the truck looks (bed liner always looked like ass on the vehicles I have seen it used on the exterior) simply get a few cans of automotive spray paint and rattle can it.
If you know what you're doing, a rattle can paint job can look phenomenal. 90% of it is prep work.