Opening a locked car trunk from the inside. - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-12-2019, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,588 Times in 1,716 Posts

Advertise Here

1. As mentioned earlier, newer cars have an escape mechanism.

2. BUT ALSO - how about those remote control fobs?

3. Most cars now have a switch someplace that the driver can control...
What if you extended that into the trunk itself?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 02:15 AM

I agree completely that a locked truck would be a good place to hide, take shelter, or even sleep if you wanted to save a few bucks in the summer. Unfortunately, most newer vehicles don't have the huge trunks that some older cars did. My grandpa had a big old Caprice Classic that had a trunk big enough easily sleep two people. He kept it garaged and it only had about 10K on the clock. Can't hide from the zombies in an SUV that has more windows than a greenhouse.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:40 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 9,482 Times in 3,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
IF CARS were airtight you would see them floating down the rivers instead of under them when people are trying to get rid of them. Every four or five years we would get a strong wind blowing in the right direction and one of the rivers would drop 4-6 feet and you could see the cars that were on the bottom.

If they were airtight you would have to crack a window when closing the door otherwise the pressure would blow out your eardrums.

Some have better seals than others but they all SINK The only dead bodies found in trunks are mob hits.

If you couldn't get out and were parked in a place in the sun on a hot day you could probably overheat like kid car cooking, but you are not gonna run out of breathable air.

If water can get in air can get in.

IF they were airtight they would be used as weapons. "Yeah.. I offed the kid...I put him in the trunk of the car." "Did you shoot him or stab him?" "What for? Why get blood all over? I let the airless trunk kill him."
Some old cars can float. How many, who knows?

Proof that the Volkswagen Beetle floats. Another 60s print ad introduced us to Stanley Siegel, a journalist who decided to expose the myth around floating Volkswagen Beetles. He drove a Volkswagen Beetle into Beetle Creek in Wisconsin, expecting it to sink to the bottom, and it floated.

https://www.arnoldclark.com/newsroom...-beetles-float

I would say its safe to say that not all cars have the same amount of
water proofing.

The OP asked a vague question, so there are a lot of answers.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,408 Posts

It is true that most vehicles sink but I have seen a pick up truck floating down the Shenandoah. It went by fast and just the cab was above the waterline but it seemed to be a later model truck. At the time, anyway. This was 1996. Definitely not a representative sampling.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 10-13-2019, 01:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,597 Times in 1,408 Posts

In '05 I bought what was then the Ford 500 sedan (later they changed that body style to be the redesigned Taurus).
It had a freakin' huge trunk. I jokingly called it a mafia disposal unit for the number of bodies that could fit in there. They advertised it as being able to carry like six golf bags.
Anyway, in the trunk there was this big, glow-in-the-dark handle. It had silhouette cut out-out depicting a man pulling the handle and jumping out of the trunk in a definite running position. It used to crack me up. Like....if you come to and find yourself lying in this trunk, pull this handle, jump out and run like hell!
Edit to add: After posting, I found this image of it. I guess it was painted on, not cut-out, but you get the idea.
Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:17 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Quote:
What? He asked a few straight forward questions. I gave him a straight forward answer. He responded.

The next few pages were a smorgasbord of back and forth nonsense.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:25 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,074 Times in 20,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL1 View Post
ALL cars built since the 60's have flow through ventilation to prevent any buildup of carbon monoxide. They are not air tight.
The car I drove into the water was definitely water tight.

The car floated over to where the road started uphill again. Water was up to the side windows.

Policeman waded in and pushed the car uphill a bit so I could open the windows without water coming in.
The trunk and passenger compartment stayed bone dry.

The engine died of course. Had to buy a new engine for the rental company.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,102 Times in 7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Vet View Post
Some old cars can float. How many, who knows?

Proof that the Volkswagen Beetle floats. Another 60s print ad introduced us to Stanley Siegel, a journalist who decided to expose the myth around floating Volkswagen Beetles. He drove a Volkswagen Beetle into Beetle Creek in Wisconsin, expecting it to sink to the bottom, and it floated.

I would say its safe to say that not all cars have the same amount of
water proofing.

Holy freaking cow.

You DO understand that AIR is ALL AROUND the car while the water you keep talking about is ONLY under the car and up the sides a certain distance, right?

You know that heater and AC unit? You DO realize it allows outside air in, right?

Being sealed on the bottom 2/3 of the car is NOT the same as "airtight", nor "watertight". Boats are water tight on the bottom...and they sink too.

Take your car, and drop it nose down into water until it is submerged, and see how long it takes to fill up. Let us know how that goes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:10 PM
Let the Debate begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Holy freaking cow.

You DO understand that AIR is ALL AROUND the car while the water you keep talking about is ONLY under the car and up the sides a certain distance, right?

You know that heater and AC unit? You DO realize it allows outside air in, right?

Being sealed on the bottom 2/3 of the car is NOT the same as "airtight", nor "watertight". Boats are water tight on the bottom...and they sink too.

Take your car, and drop it nose down into water until it is submerged, and see how long it takes to fill up. Let us know how that goes.
You first, find an old VW Beetle, get in the Trunk, (front of course)
and let us know how long you can last in there with it closed and
sealed.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,314 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoveman View Post
Is there a way pick a locked car trunk from the inside?
if you were locked in your car trunk, what tools would you need to escape?

Is there a way to install a trunk release inside a car trunk?
If you could open a car trunk from the inside, the in and out access, would make a carís trunk a living space, where you could hide, take shelter or sleep.

Go look for a car with a trunk today. VERY small market. Find a way to hide in a black "SUV" and you might have a concept.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:30 PM
Let the Debate begin

Is that a crowbar in your pants or are you just happy to see us?