Question on shelf life. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-18-2019, 09:54 PM

Default Question on shelf life.

Advertise Here

I'm curious on the shelf life of two items. Lamp oil and unused Pri-G gas treatment. I've heard that the containers that lamp oil is sold in can degrade over time. Is this true? Is the oil itself shelf stable?

Also, one does not use a lot of Pri-G to treat a can of gas, so is the amount left in the factory container good to treat gas for years?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to davesretired1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 10:59 PM

Im curious too. I have some lamp oil that I moved from the cheeky plastic bottle into heavy plastic bottles used for chemical samples.
That was about 4 years ago amd I have lost a couple of ounces. Eventhough it is in a leak proof container. You can see where it was at and where it is...about 1" on the bottle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15714538580991295688533_1571453905000.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	293040  
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,949 Times in 3,609 Posts

ANY plastic container will eventually leak. Lamp oil should last forever if stored in a properly sealed metal container.

I'm unsure as to Pri-G but iirc Sta-Bil states to use the product within a year (or possibly 2, I don't have a bottle handy to check) of opening it.

Shouldn't be much of a need to stockpile Pri-G for long term storage, as a year or so into the event there won't be any viable fuel around to need treatment anyways. Just keep what you need on hand to treat current stored fuel and rotate through stocks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 11:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,670 Times in 7,397 Posts

A shelf's life depends on how much weight you put on it.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:40 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 66,586 Times in 20,403 Posts

I think oil will oxidize and gum up from polymer reactions after a few years, thus clogging your wick.

If you have a kerosene lamp, you should not be using lamp oil (paraffin) anyway.

Kerosene is what they are supposed to burn.

Having a lot of spare kerosene lamp wick material is a good idea if you will rely on these lamps.

Nomenclature always muddies the water.
Kerosene or diesel, used to be called "fuel oil". (probably still is). So when these old timers referred to lamp oil, they probably meant kerosene (or diesel).

Some old timers used 100% "mineral spirits" for their lamps. Most authorities will say this presents a fire/explosion hazard, and or the fumes will kill you. I tried it out in a couple lamps for 2 years when I was living in a bucolic paradise. My impressions were that it burned super clean and gave a superior light. And I didn't die or explode.
The stuff does noticeably evaporate from the lamp. Let it sit unused for a month and you lose level very noticeably.
it is probably dangerous as the experts likely know their subject. But in the short term, it worked for me anyway.

But what is in 100% mineral spirits? Who the heck knows? Probably includes some carcinogens of the benzene aromatic family.
I think it is just a temperature cut they get from the refinery. A bit lighter cut than kerosene, hence the flammability concern as it would have a higher vapor pressure. Depending upon the lamp design, ambients, etc, could present a hazard.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:03 AM
Prepared

Last night after reading the OP I thought I should check on some old jugs. About 11 years ago I purchased 5 - 128 oz. jugs of Klean Heat when they were on sale. They are the original jugs unopened stored in a cool area so I opened a jug and filled a lamp. It still burns like it was new and none had evaporated. I agree with Justme that if you leave fuel in a lamp it will gum up the wick and create problems with the burner. I would say that Klean Heat is good to go for at least 10 years and possibly indefinitely.