Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 57 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 07:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 08:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 08:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 07:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 02:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 09:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 09:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 10:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 10:56 PM

Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 PM

Default Met MMM!

Advertise Here

This month, MMM has had more company than he's had in a long time, ha!

I figured I'd better get up there before the snow hits for real. Dropped off a few things and we took a trip down to town so he could pick up an order that had come in this week (freeze-dried lasagna).

He seems in good spirits and is optimistic about the coming winter. He still wishes he had some good help for his construction projects, but alas, that is not me. Food is an ongoing concern of his and he stated that he's already lost 20 lbs since heading up there in July (this is not a person with a lot of weight to spare). Hopefully that will stabilize as he settles into a routine for winter, but staying warm burns a lot of calories.

Photo posted with MMM's consent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MMM.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	292848  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to oalo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 02:20 PM
begger of beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
I hope that third picture is Mike's new girlfriend to keep him company this winter!!
So the bikini babe is kinda funny story. We were driving over the Snowy Range last Monday to spend the day shopping in Laramie. MMM wanted to stop off at Lake Marie and have a look around. The sun was just coming up and the lighting was "PERFECT'. So prefect was the lighting on the lake and mountains that the parking lot was full of cars with California tags. We commented on the fact the place was so busy for a freezing cold, Monday morning.

As we walked over to the lake there were a couple dudes walking back to the parking lot with an empty cart. Then we get up to the lake and there are tripods and photo gear set up. I was thinking they were doing landscape stuff because the light on the cliffs was spectacular. Then the cart guys come back full of props, antlers, blankets and animal skins. Now I started getting curious. I''m snapping pics and looking around. Then "California Man" starts barking orders at me to not take pictures and that we could not be there. So naturally I started taking more photos and getting more nosey. Still at this point have not seen Bikini Babe. MMM and I kept working our way around the lake and getting cool photos of the view. Also freezing to death as it was 25 degrees with a strong wind.

Once we were around the lake I caught a view of Bikini Babe. She and the crew were tucked back into this low spot along the bank. Protected from view by a slight rise and a few trees from anyone on the main walkway. Now I stepped out on a few boulders on the lake shore to get the right angle and maxed out the zoom on my camera. Started filling up the SD card. If California Man said I couldn't take photos, I was going to load up on photos to share with the fine folks back at SBoards. Finally the cold won out over my desire to catch more snaps. MMM and I were burning daylight. As we still had a long drive to Laramie.

My encounter with California Man and my attitude towards the situation would come back later that day. One of the items on MMM's shopping list was a cast iron stove. The lumber yard and farm supply store both had nothing that fit the bill. We did get word that there was a fire place store down the road. I had a feeling that a dedicated wood stove store would be well out of MMM's budget. We checked it out, I was right. Cheap steel units were $1,500 and went up from there. Mike spotted a stove decorating the vestibule. The owner spoke up that the stove was "not for sale". Well Mike is hard of hearing and kept asking how much was the stove. The message finally gets through to Mike that the stove is not for sale because it is not compliant with Federal Government regulations on wood stoves. Mike comes unglued. If he would have been typing, it could have become a epic thread on SBoard against government interference upon our lives. Fortunately for me, the next grocery shopping stop was just across the street. I was standing guard over the thousands of dollars worth of supplies in the truck bed. While MMM and his rage went shopping.

After a bit more shopping we were headed back over the Snowy Range. Into Saratoga for MMM to handle so more business. I dropped Mike off and I wandered over to the hot spring. Nice facility, open to the public. If you are in the area, check it out. The main pool was 118F with the upper pool being a comfortable 100F. Would have went for a swim, but didn't have shorts and didn't want to leave all off MMM's supplies alone for too long. Although Wyoming didn't strike me a high crime area

More later -K

Photos are a few more of Bikini Babe, the hot springs in Saratoga WY, Lake Marie, a little shack above the Lake Marie parking lot, some of MMM's supplies and a cow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0261.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	292918   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9ea.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	292920   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_9e5.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	292922   Click image for larger version

Name:	goXKcgL0QSGuI+uoPVRuMg.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	292924   Click image for larger version

Name:	BqfcOjBtSNWoMAumZQgtuw.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	292926   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0239.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	292928  

Name:	DSCN0265.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	292930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2641.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	292932   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0274.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	292934  
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:00 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

I see you guys made the trek to Ridleys for the case lot sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 12:31 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,837 Times in 4,805 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

Much I could respond to but maybe someday = possibly not until next summer. It most likely will be next summer such as July or later when I will post new pics. I will try to take as many photos as I can although my phone does not take very good pics and the laptop is more blurry.

About my construction of the 'long garage' which is made of much plywood and 2x4's with as many log poles that I can obtain also is that it is going slow but sure.

I had a long detailed post trying to answer much but this browser quit and I lost it all. I will not go into detail now again but will try to answer a bit more

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
We will see how much construction we can get done tomorrow. We left before sunrise this morning for Laramie to collect provisions. Also spent most of Sunday rounding up supplies. I need to head back to the airport in Denver come Wednesday.

-K

I had the choice of having cavedweller help me with obtaining many supplies or helping me build much on the long garage. I truly needed to buy many supplies such as a new larger 2000 watt generator and a new Milwaukee brand drill - driver - which is the best and most powerful of any of the electric screw drivers. I also bought many wood screws but ran out but the hardware store here in Saratoga had many and I spent another five hundred dollars buying stuff - many many wood screws, more wood stove pipe and much plastic sheeting to cover the long 60 plus foot garage.

I planned to remove most of the many sheets of metal that cover the 1990 A - frame shed but the early snow and cold will likely prevent doing that until next summer. Within five or so years I hope to remove - tear down 4 of the sheds and clean them out well - burning much trash, old newspapers etc. etc. and within ten years only have one shed plus the bunker and likely the 20 x 10 foot partially underground greenhouse cabin.

Quote:
Been a great few days with MMM. Later on will take the time to write some more detailed post. I am just taking a pitstop on my way back to the Denver airport.

MMM is defiantly in a solid position food wise going into winter. As we spent three days traveling to town to gather supplies and take care of his business. Each day we came back with a truck load of supplies. We did a short hike around his property one afternoon. I would have liked to hike more, we did get a lot of work done. Mike still has lots of construction to finish to harden his trailer from the snow load.

The good news is there is a good bit of community around his stronghold. I met a few of his neighbors. Sounds like they come up to their cabins to snowmobile during the winter. So Mike shouldn't be totally cut off for the whole winter. If he climbs up to right spot, there is some cell phone signal. The tower looks to be 20 miles away. His phone works, but mine would not up there.

Here are a few random pictures. I'll be back later with more. -K

Actually I can call from anywhere on my mtn land. In 2002 until 2010 or so I had to climb the sunny hillside but with new cell towers I get good reception. I have two Tracfones but only one has minutes on it. I just dont know why I cannot text as I did in July until Aug 4th. I can at least, make phone calls. I try to have my phone turned on around 8 to 9 or so am every Sunday morning. I gave my phone number in a previous post a few days ago. I will try to post more but I have no new pics. It was a rush trip now and it was also snowing with six new inches of snow when I left. When I get back I most likely will Not be going back to town until possibly July 2020. I will try to keep in contact with the few who I have their phone numbers.

Quote:
So the bikini babe is kinda funny story. We were driving over the Snowy Range last Monday to spend the day shopping in Laramie. MMM wanted to stop off at Lake Marie and have a look around. The sun was just coming up and the lighting was "PERFECT'. So prefect was the lighting on the lake and mountains that the parking lot was full of cars with California tags. We commented on the fact the place was so busy for a freezing cold, Monday morning.

As we walked over to the lake there were a couple dudes walking back to the parking lot with an empty cart. Then we get up to the lake and there are tripods and photo gear set up. I was thinking they were doing landscape stuff because the light on the cliffs was spectacular. Then the cart guys come back full of props, antlers, blankets and animal skins. Now I started getting curious. I''m snapping pics and looking around. Then "California Man" starts barking orders at me to not take pictures and that we could not be there. So naturally I started taking more photos and getting more nosey. Still at this point have not seen Bikini Babe. MMM and I kept working our way around the lake and getting cool photos of the view. Also freezing to death as it was 25 degrees with a strong wind.

Once we were around the lake I caught a view of Bikini Babe. She and the crew were tucked back into this low spot along the bank. Protected from view by a slight rise and a few trees from anyone on the main walkway. Now I stepped out on a few boulders on the lake shore to get the right angle and maxed out the zoom on my camera. Started filling up the SD card. If California Man said I couldn't take photos, I was going to load up on photos to share with the fine folks back at SBoards. Finally the cold won out over my desire to catch more snaps. MMM and I were burning daylight. As we still had a long drive to Laramie.

My encounter with California Man and my attitude towards the situation would come back later that day. One of the items on MMM's shopping list was a cast iron stove. The lumber yard and farm supply store both had nothing that fit the bill. We did get word that there was a fire place store down the road. I had a feeling that a dedicated wood stove store would be well out of MMM's budget. We checked it out, I was right. Cheap steel units were $1,500 and went up from there. Mike spotted a stove decorating the vestibule. The owner spoke up that the stove was "not for sale". Well Mike is hard of hearing and kept asking how much was the stove. The message finally gets through to Mike that the stove is not for sale because it is not compliant with Federal Government regulations on wood stoves. Mike comes unglued. If he would have been typing, it could have become a epic thread on SBoard against government interference upon our lives. Fortunately for me, the next grocery shopping stop was just across the street. I was standing guard over the thousands of dollars worth of supplies in the truck bed. While MMM and his rage went shopping.

After a bit more shopping we were headed back over the Snowy Range. Into Saratoga for MMM to handle so more business. I dropped Mike off and I wandered over to the hot spring. Nice facility, open to the public. If you are in the area, check it out. The main pool was 118F with the upper pool being a comfortable 100F. Would have went for a swim, but didn't have shorts and didn't want to leave all off MMM's supplies alone for too long. Although Wyoming didn't strike me a high crime area

More later -K

Photos are a few more of Bikini Babe, the hot springs in Saratoga WY, Lake Marie, a little shack above the Lake Marie parking lot, some of MMM's supplies and a cow.

Much I could write but I did not realize I was raging. I was going on about not being able to Find any kind of old cast iron stove - one that did not have a catalytic converter etc etc. And that wood stove salesman said something about being 2020 compliant??? Both of my large woodstoves do not have any of that expensive junk. I realize that people in cities and towns Must have them to keep down the air pollution. In my remote mtn area I likely will be the only one burning wood for ten or more miles unless one or two other people a mile or two away will come up to their cabins in winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
I see you guys made the trek to Ridleys for the case lot sale.
And thanks for telling me about Ridley's great grocery store biathlon. It is the best grocery store in Laramie. I bought as much freeze dried food plus many cases of various canned food. From tuna, to peanut butter to baked beans and canned vegetables. I like chefboyardee beefaroni and lasagna best. Much cheaper than freeze dried food although I must eat the canned food before I eat much of the freeze dried. I like Augasun Farms freeze dried and I got as much of it as I could. They have freeze dried lasagna etc and I bought a sealed can of 8000 various 12 kinds of vegetable seeds also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oalo View Post
This month, MMM has had more company than he's had in a long time, ha!

I figured I'd better get up there before the snow hits for real. Dropped off a few things and we took a trip down to town so he could pick up an order that had come in this week (freeze-dried lasagna).

He seems in good spirits and is optimistic about the coming winter. He still wishes he had some good help for his construction projects, but alas, that is not me. Food is an ongoing concern of his and he stated that he's already lost 20 lbs since heading up there in July (this is not a person with a lot of weight to spare). Hopefully that will stabilize as he settles into a routine for winter, but staying warm burns a lot of calories.

Photo posted with MMM's consent.
Thank you great oalo for coming to see me and the great Christmas present. Even though it said do not open until Christmas I Had to open it. I am not Tom Hanks as a Castaway = that interesting but too Hollyweird movie. I choose my remote life far from "civilization" but he could not wait to get back....

I will wait and eat the cookies you put in the metal container. Over the years the metal round cookie box will be very helpful keeping out mice and insects. I can use the hand and toe warmers packets long before Christmas.

It got down to 5 degrees F. that is not the sissy metric C celsius but Fahrenheit. My first big test of the very cold and snow with 8 inches of snow and 5 degrees F. on Thursday Oct. 11th and also Friday. Especially with the snowy cold all day that Thursday all I could do was stay in my arctic sleeping bag and wait it out. I listened to the radio and wish I had my books but they are still packed away. Five degrees F. is mid winter temps but I survived it well even without any external heat since it was Oct. 14th before I set up all of my stove pipe and the metal sheet backing on the wall. I still must set up the barrel stove. And I Must begin burning a lot of wood. Even if it keeps snowing too much I Must get the walls and roof put on hopefully by Halloween.

I hope to see you again at least next summer Oalo even bring you husband and any friends who are brave enough. Yes, it seems to me that for many years now that all of the good survival survivalist prepper type women are already taken.

Anyway, thanks to the few who do read this thread. And the very few who respond. I will likely post pics again but not until next July or later. Here is a great thread Oalo posted a few days ago. Lucky I saw this but she had printed out much of it when she was here I think she was here Oct. 9th the day before the big snow hit. She is very brave and a very good caring kind person. NO one in real life has helped me like Cavedweller and Oalo have helped me since my parents died.

IF I had one or two real life people help me in real life like the very few from Watch Ryder to the two or so others then I would have much more built and done. And I would be more prepared than 90 plus percent of possibly everyone. Anyway take care all and do not worry about me since this is what I have planned to do since 1987 when I first bought my land;

Here is Oalo's great kind thread > https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=928320

Here is the snow survey station which is half a mile from my land and which Cavedweller and I took a few minutes to check out. For many years I checked this link all winter but beginning this winter I Must check it in real life >>>> https://wcc.sc.egov.usda.gov/reportG...ue,TOBS::value

Again take care all and good luck etc. for I truly believe that 2020 and beyond will be very interesting - to say the least....
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 01:11 AM
Bazinga!

Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,079 Posts

Good luck Mike - keep warm and have fun up there!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad-max For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 08:17 AM
begger of beer

Got a few messages from MMM. From what I could make out he ran supplies for building his tunnel/car port/snow defense structure. So he drove his truck into town, last week. Then Mother Nature dumped 2 feet of snow on his mountain. The state of Wyoming shut down the highway. Closed the gates on the highway. MMM got stuck in town. I believe for about 5 or 6 days.

Sounds like yesterday WYDOT plowed open the highway. MMM chained up his truck and made it back to his land. He said it would of been good video. That there was so sliding and hairy moments. Unfortunately no video camera.

MMM asked that I pass along an update and say "Hello".

-K
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Don't get me started

Thanked 30,381 Times in 10,648 Posts

Quote:
Got a few messages from MMM. From what I could make out he ran supplies for building his tunnel/car port/snow defense structure. So he drove his truck into town, last week. Then Mother Nature dumped 2 feet of snow on his mountain. The state of Wyoming shut down the highway. Closed the gates on the highway. MMM got stuck in town. I believe for about 5 or 6 days.

Sounds like yesterday WYDOT plowed open the highway. MMM chained up his truck and made it back to his land. He said it would of been good video. That there was so sliding and hairy moments. Unfortunately no video camera.

MMM asked that I pass along an update and say "Hello".

-K
Being stuck in town is better than getting stuck out in a snow drift along the road. Mike needs to have a way to monitor the Weather forecasts and never travel when the storms are looming. In his remote location it can be a life threatening thing to try to drive to town.

Thanks for the update and "Hello" back to MM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2019, 09:59 AM
Prepared

Just finished reading your updates,please continue to post as you can. Be safe and try to stay warm and hydrated,be careful with your physical activities in the winter. We moved from city to permanent off grid this year Feb,has been a wonderful experience and kids now dread going into "town" for anything.Work every day,always something to do and winter comes way too fast.Still have a ton of wood to cut/split and one more shed to finish.Best of luck to you and have a Merry Xmas !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to highpockets For This Useful Post: