Farming with draft animals - Page 14 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foraging vs Farming souldier66 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 30 05-06-2017 12:24 PM
Review: Deer Dragger Harness for Recovering Big Game Animals AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-27-2017 03:00 PM
Why I can't bring myself to keep animals. Nomad, 2nd Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 29 02-02-2017 12:11 AM
Rainwater For Animals Robidoux Food and water 35 01-18-2017 03:03 PM
First Steps To Backyard Farming AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 12-23-2016 12:00 PM

Old 10-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,138 Times in 5,435 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
My Question, How many of you guys have ever plowed or cultivated with a horse or a mule?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,911 Times in 2,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvtater View Post
There's a neat video on you tube that's wit worth the watch. I don't know how to share the links , but northmen is the poster and grandfather. Full documentary is the title

Tater, I'll look it up. Thanks

Your post caught my eye when I checked the sub forum.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbanger View Post
Just recently near my family there was a rash of "drive by" cow shootings. The animals were shot and partially butchered leaving the carcass laying including a $30K bull. People start getting hungry your draft animals will be prime targets and depending on your security and location situation worked fields will scream "come rob me I have food" as you would have enough seed to plant? If it came down to a no **** we have been reduced to draft animals for survival a more intelligent course of action would be small hidden plots in several semi remote areas. It is hard to hide a horse or oxen and unless you rig "apple catchers" use on a roadway will leave a feces trail direct back to your position(most people couldn't tell goat from deer scat). Unless you are running a commune large animals are not needed. Goats can be harnessed to pull wagons and plows and sickle bars can be "cut down" to scale. If they go lame, eat them and you won't have the waste of a whole horse in a time of limited refrigeration and take less feed? Subsistence living throughout human history most people never travelled more than 50 miles from where they were born and few would want to travel that far from their home base if things got that bad so you don't "need" horses. Eventually as "civilization" returns going back to horse power would be the next logical step?

There are "different strokes for different folks".

I see nothing wrong with choosing any available power for farming now or in the future. There is and will be many methods used. What is best for one area or situation will not be best for every other.

'Drive by' shootings have been taking place since man was invented. One learns to cope with present situations as they occur or one dies and one prepares for the future possibilities as he sees fit.

Much depends on 'if' events occur that drive us back several centuries and what is available to work with when the 'if' occurs and how well you've second guessed the possibilities and prepared.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:38 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
Most are talking horses and such. In the southeast historically oxen were much used. They can live off of lower grade fodder than horses, but you will not get as much work out of them since they do chew their cud and a significant portion of their body wt is devoted to the ruminant stomach.
Below is how it is still done in some places.

The most interest has been in horses (Draft animals is the thread title) but the thread has covered most of the possibilities.

Oxen are used quite extensively in third world countries. In the US they are mostly used by hobbyists although some are still used efficiently in logging.

They would be a real consideration in a future subsistence world. There are advantages and disadvantages (and limitations) on any of the many choices. Horses became so very popular because they have many advantages. Speed and train-ability had a lot to do with it. Climate, terrain and relative wealth also are factors.

PS: I find this photo interesting because the man is the drover and the woman is handling the plow. And I wonder why the picture in my quote is so big?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 08:50 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
My Question, How many of you guys have ever plowed or cultivated with a horse or a mule?
I've plowed one long, very crooked furrow.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,426 Times in 541 Posts

Quote:
Sure did, briefly and a long time ago.
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...&postcount=153
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 01:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbanger View Post
Just recently near my family there was a rash of "drive by" cow shootings. The animals were shot and partially butchered leaving the carcass laying including a $30K bull. People start getting hungry your draft animals will be prime targets and depending on your security and location situation worked fields will scream "come rob me I have food" as you would have enough seed to plant? If it came down to a no **** we have been reduced to draft animals for survival a more intelligent course of action would be small hidden plots in several semi remote areas. It is hard to hide a horse or oxen and unless you rig "apple catchers" use on a roadway will leave a feces trail direct back to your position(most people couldn't tell goat from deer scat). Unless you are running a commune large animals are not needed. Goats can be harnessed to pull wagons and plows and sickle bars can be "cut down" to scale. If they go lame, eat them and you won't have the waste of a whole horse in a time of limited refrigeration and take less feed? Subsistence living throughout human history most people never travelled more than 50 miles from where they were born and few would want to travel that far from their home base if things got that bad so you don't "need" horses. Eventually as "civilization" returns going back to horse power would be the next logical step?
Well if someone doesn't keep and raise livestock. Where will you get them when things calm down?. Raising food gardens and livestock will give a person good trading materials. If you have problems with thieves then catch a few and make an example out of them for others to know better.
Seed as long as your not raising hybryd. Plants keeping your own seed should not be a problem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
The most interest has been in horses (Draft animals is the thread title) but the thread has covered most of the possibilities.

Oxen are used quite extensively in third world countries. In the US they are mostly used by hobbyists although some are still used efficiently in logging.

They would be a real consideration in a future subsistence world. There are advantages and disadvantages (and limitations) on any of the many choices. Horses became so very popular because they have many advantages. Speed and train-ability had a lot to do with it. Climate, terrain and relative wealth also are factors.

PS: I find this photo interesting because the man is the drover and the woman is handling the plow. And I wonder why the picture in my quote is so big?
The last major use of draft livestock in the USA just as tractors were taking over used many mules. The mules is a superior draft animal to a horse. But there was a large industry devoted raising the diverse kinds of mules. The horse and donkey breeds used were important relative to type of mule that was produced.
There were mules for every purpose including riding.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnetmill For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Tater, I'll look it up. Thanks

Your post caught my eye when I checked the sub forum.
I waa thinking you would like the video

The Following User Says Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 03:57 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
The last major use of draft livestock in the USA just as tractors were taking over used many mules. The mules is a superior draft animal to a horse. But there was a large industry devoted raising the diverse kinds of mules. The horse and donkey breeds used were important relative to type of mule that was produced.

There were mules for every purpose including riding.
Some folks get along better with mules, some don't. I'm not a mule fan but I know there's some good ones out there. Some folks preferred oxen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Some folks get along better with mules, some don't. I'm not a mule fan but I know there's some good ones out there. Some folks preferred oxen.

On never hears of people using oxen in the 1940's or '50's. Does not mean it was not done, just that I have never seen a picture or read of it from that time period. Typically they were associated with share croppers growing cotton on small plots.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Survivor

modern use of mules
Mule drawn quail hunting wagons for luxury quail hunting
Georgia
Quote:
A Gentleman’s Game: The Art of Quail
Welcome to the gentlemen’s club on wheels
Images may be subject to copyright. Learn More

http://porterbriggs.com/a-gentlemans...quail/quail-4/
Old 10-31-2019, 09:39 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
There's a neat video on you tube that's wit worth the watch. I don't know how to share the links , but northmen is the poster and grandfather. Full documentary is the title

Thanks for the tip tater. Reminds me a lot of my late Dad.
Old 10-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,849 Times in 6,946 Posts

Local guy out here a LONG time back had a pair of bear cubs he rescued and raised, there's a picture of them hitched as a team to a small wagon, I've seen it, but can't find it on the web.

Probably not much good for real work, but in those days, you had to make your own entertainment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2019, 11:02 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Thanks for the tip tater. Reminds me a lot of my late Dad.
Thanks. I was hoping you would like that.