Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 AM

Default Edible plants uk

Advertise Here

I've become intrigued on this topic, so read a few reviews and bought a book. Despite the good reviews, many of the plants feature no photos but only a text description of the plant, which I find very difficult in the real world.

Does anyone know of a UK book complete with seem photos for identification?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 01:33 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,293 Times in 8,914 Posts

I really like America's Green Dean "eattheweeds" guy

Perhaps this guy is as good.
https://www.eatweeds.co.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 04:36 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,850 Times in 19,396 Posts

Foraging is truly a localized hobby. The same is true for good reference books. There would be no way to even print a global forage book due to the sheer size of the tome needed. Even for a large nation their usefulness is marginal. Local books are always the best. But I think the Isle of Britain might be a small enough size to get a useful book about foraging.

I always suggest people contact local arboretums and ask if they have a volunteer teacher or recent book made by someone like that. Local foraging experts tend to gravitate to these plant sanctuaries.

England is very fortunate to have the Royal Horticulture Society and the National Memorial Arboretum. A call to those two on slow days could yield some good suggestions. Maybe even catch a class on the topic. These classes are rarely expensive. Most of the effort is volunteer work, so fees are only about actual expenses. Classes like these are great places to get the better book recommendations.

I have to say that a fast look on Google using "foraging in England" gives lots of book offerings. Foraging seems very popular there. I also found this YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO6...yzsPpDnoRU5pjg

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Foraging is truly a localized hobby. The same is true for good reference books. There would be no way to even print a global forage book due to the sheer size of the tome needed. Even for a large nation their usefulness is marginal. Local books are always the best. But I think the Isle of Britain might be a small enough size to get a useful book about foraging.

I always suggest people contact local arboretums and ask if they have a volunteer teacher or recent book made by someone like that. Local foraging experts tend to gravitate to these plant sanctuaries.

England is very fortunate to have the Royal Horticulture Society and the National Memorial Arboretum. A call to those two on slow days could yield some good suggestions. Maybe even catch a class on the topic. These classes are rarely expensive. Most of the effort is volunteer work, so fees are only about actual expenses. Classes like these are great places to get the better book recommendations.

I have to say that a fast look on Google using "foraging in England" gives lots of book offerings. Foraging seems very popular there. I also found this YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO6...yzsPpDnoRU5pjg

The youtube video isn't playing.
I searched arboretum in my area and it showed the local leisure center, I can't imagine they do classes, it tends to be for swimming or indoor tennis etc. I'm going to phot them tomorrow, and like ask if there's any horticultural classes I guess..
Old 10-10-2019, 02:42 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnharries View Post
I searched arboretum in my area and it showed the local leisure center, I can't imagine they do classes, it tends to be for swimming or indoor tennis etc. I'm going to phot them tomorrow, and like ask if there's any horticultural classes I guess..
It's channel, not a video. Dozens of videos there. The vids work fine when selected. Any troubles getting them to play is a pc problem, not a location problem.

As for arboretums you may have to go further afield. It's why I suggested the national options. A leisure center is not an arboretum. You may require a municipality big enough to have a proper one.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Quote:
It's channel, not a video. Dozens of videos there. The vids work fine when selected. Any troubles getting them to play is a pc problem, not a location problem.

As for arboretums you may have to go further afield. It's why I suggested the national options. A leisure center is not an arboretum. You may require a municipality big enough to have a proper one.
OK I think this is a dead end then, as my local community centre and leisure centre, despite coming up on Google as arboretums, don't do anything horticultural.

I'll check out those videos though

Thanks
Old 10-11-2019, 04:10 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,293 Times in 495 Posts

Start with 'Wild Food' by Roger Phillips.

The River Cottage mushroom book is very good.

I've got a Botany degree, but I don't trust written descriptions. There's very little plant-wise in UK that will kill you, but the fungi aren't generally worth the risk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sorry-no-clues For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 05:10 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Thanked 2,107 Times in 554 Posts

Here's another book you might like:

The Forager Handbook: A Guide to the Edible Plants of Britain, by Miles Irving

It is not cheap, but it has over 400 pages, so it seems comprehensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Forager-Handb...1JMYXV5613WQR5
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Quote:
OK I think this is a dead end then, as my local community centre and leisure centre, despite coming up on Google as arboretums, don't do anything horticultural.

I'll check out those videos though

Thanks
If the local doesn't have what you need then you might need to expand your range.

You can't expect small towns to have everything you need. The calls to the national groups are hardly onerous, are they? Even if you choose not to go visit regional or national locations they still answer the phone.

Old 10-11-2019, 01:58 PM
Crap Creek Survivor

We share many of the same plants on both sides of the Big Pond. More than a few European plants have become naturalized in the United States. So you will find that the plant ID books written for the US will also contain many plants in the UK.

For exploration, I highly recommend the valuable database at this site:

https://pfaf.org/user/Default.aspx

I found this encouraging quote on the "Habitat" page (https://pfaf.org/user/Habitats.aspx )

Quote:
Our database groups plants into 12 different habitats. You can search it in the UK, the US or Australia. Or look at the Habitats index page.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrizzlyetteAdams For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzlyetteAdams View Post
Here's another book you might like:

The Forager Handbook: A Guide to the Edible Plants of Britain, by Miles Irving

It is not cheap, but it has over 400 pages, so it seems comprehensive.

https://www.amazon.com/Forager-Handb...1JMYXV5613WQR5
Yeah it's really weird, but you would think in this kind of book, colour photos would be essential, but upon my research into this books reviews, this one is also criticised for having a lack of photos.

I mean come on. You're not easily identifying by text.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnharries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 07:21 AM
Crap Creek Survivor

Quote:
Yeah it's really weird, but you would think in this kind of book, colour photos would be essential, but upon my research into this books reviews, this one is also criticised for having a lack of photos.

I mean come on. You're not easily identifying by text.
I agree, which is why I have multiple titles for almost every topic in my library. Cross-referencing and all...

I did notice that the choice of plant ID books in the UK is woefully skimpy. Maybe there's not enough interest to warrant the trouble of writing and publishing them.
Old 10-14-2019, 02:33 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,121 Times in 332 Posts

Quote:
Sounds like a great opportunity for you to learn what is edible, maybe take pictures of the plants and make up a booklet and offer to teach a class.

I was just googling to find the name of a seaweed sort of plant I had once and couldn't find it but I did find this site

https://wolfcrafter.blogspot.com/

But I still need to find the name of that plant, it was good, almost asparagus like.

Found it, called Samphire
Old 10-17-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazarine33 View Post
Quote:
Sounds like a great opportunity for you to learn what is edible, maybe take pictures of the plants and make up a booklet and offer to teach a class.

I was just googling to find the name of a seaweed sort of plant I had once and couldn't find it but I did find this site

https://wolfcrafter.blogspot.com/

But I still need to find the name of that plant, it was good, almost asparagus like.

Found it, called Samphire
I'm going to check back here, maybe a full book complete with colour photos will be discovered.
The odd thing is that on amazon you can't ask questions about books, only other items. Not sure why, or I would just ask.

In the meantime I have a portable book and I intend to take my own photos of plants I discover and check them using the Internet. I'll fill in my own personal information in there maybe.
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnharries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:56 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,121 Times in 332 Posts

Sounds like fun as well as being informative. You could self publish it and sell it online or as an e-book, maybe earn a few bucks. Or pounds as the case may be.