Kindle in the Go-Bag? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-15-2019, 12:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,197 Times in 623 Posts

Advertise Here

I try to watch for them at pawn shops but they always want like 10 bucks below new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2019, 12:34 PM

I love my Kindle. It's been a great space saver for when I have flights since it has so many books in that tiny thing by comparison to the hard copy books that I carried around on flights before Kindles were a thing.

Personally, I like the idea of having things in a Kindle, but would have to agree that there would need to be a way of being sure that you can easily charge it should power not be an option. However, I am also a big proponent of having a hard copy back up in the event that a re-charge isn't an option for some reason.

Depending on the situation, I would have a hard copy version in my bug out supplies, in some kind of hidden cache along the way to the bug out location or at the bug out location itself.

However, if you can memorize the stuff in the books, I think that is even better because then you don't need the hard copy or the kindle.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
Old 10-15-2019, 02:26 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,800 Times in 6,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivethrive View Post
I love my Kindle. It's been a great space saver for when I have flights since it has so many books in that tiny thing by comparison to the hard copy books that I carried around on flights before Kindles were a thing.

Personally, I like the idea of having things in a Kindle, but would have to agree that there would need to be a way of being sure that you can easily charge it should power not be an option. However, I am also a big proponent of having a hard copy back up in the event that a re-charge isn't an option for some reason.

Depending on the situation, I would have a hard copy version in my bug out supplies, in some kind of hidden cache along the way to the bug out location or at the bug out location itself.

However, if you can memorize the stuff in the books,
I think that is even better because then you don't need the hard copy or the kindle.

Happy Prepping,
SurviveThrive
And that's the ending of Fahrenheit 451.
Old 10-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Absolutely. I save all my old iPhones and load them up with Wikipedia offline, local maps, etc. I think stuff like that would be invaluable.

Technology is the key to living as anything but a caveman, which while not bad, is a much shorter and harder life.

And we are an interesting point in technology where the most reliable ones are the very old...or the very young. We very well may not have cars we can drive, but instead will be charging our iPhones with 19th century steam engines and using them to research medieval agriculture while working fields by hand, with an LED headlamp.
Same here. Keep the Kindle App loaded with good reading material and onX maps saved. Like others, I have a tiny solar charge with a USB port. It'll keep any handheld device charged. Both the phone and charger weigh less than 2 lbs.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,985 Times in 993 Posts

I have mine set up in an elaborate way. First off, I have an old one that uses the old cell phone networks for communication. You can email and browse the internet with it without having a wi-fi. It uses the old cell phone networks (CDMA, I believe it is) and they don't require usernames/pwds etc. It just runs. My hunch is that these old lines may still be serviceable after an event.

Secondly, I have spent time emailing useful PDFs to it so it is loaded up.

And last, I keep it in my Faraday cage. On occasion, I will open it up and let it sync up for new files I have sent it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post: