Colt stops making long guns for civilians. - Page 8 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-23-2019, 12:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,641 Times in 3,755 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
I suspect a few inner workings. They are the same quality built to the same specs, but by spreading the work between two companies the military can have greater assurance of an unbroken supply network (in case one company fails).

Also, one company might not be able to fulfill the entire order, so it's spread among two.

My sole point is that FN supplies a lot of arms (IIRC the M240, M249, maybe others) to the military whereas I don't think Colt does. And FN also sells guns to the LEO and civilian markets, whereas I don't think Colt does or certainly not significantly.

Colt has failed to learn the lesson which had driven them to Bankruptcy in the past. You can't rely solely on military contracts which can be fickle, canceled, and not much money. The article said their contract was for $89 million dollars. Okay, sounds like a lot of money. But what is the profit margin and over what period of years, 2 years? 10%? 20%? Will Colt survive over a period of 2 years on a $10-20 million profit? Not much profit there for the company.

Contrast that with making 10% on civilian sales. Say you sell 50000 guns at a profit of $100 per gun. That's $50 million in profit.

Check out this list. Top gun makers are making and selling over 1 million guns per year in the US without big contracts. Ruger, Smith, Remington.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2017/...in-the-us.aspx

FN is far more relevant than Colt. Between longguns and handguns, about 20+ different FN models right now available for civilians to buy. Not so much with Colt.

With Colt, you can buy a 1911 or a revolver, both of which are excellent designs but really falling out of favor every year given the cost and weight and low capacity. They're doing away with their civilian AR15s. Colt hasn't innovated in decades. That's what I call becoming irrelevant.

With FN, they have innovated significantly and you can get hammer fired or striker fired pistols, bolt rifles, semi-auto rifles of all flavors, bullpups, 5.7 caliber pistol or rifle, shotguns, etc.
Five Seven
FNS lineup
FNX lineup
FNP lineup
249 for civilians
AR15
FNAR
PS90
Bolt Action rifles
FN SCAR
Shotguns

Simply because a company has a deeper product line doesn't necessarily mean they make a better product. An M4 made to military specification is an M4 military specifications, meaning the only distinguishing characteristic between an FN M4 and a Colt M4 made under military contract would be the roll mark on the magazine well.

Colt not innovating is a credible point, however Colt discontinuing their civilian version of the M4, (LE6920) carries some weight, especially among those who want a civilian version of the rifle they carried while in the service. The reason an LE6920 is called an M4gery, is that it is as close as you can get to the real thing. Sure there are other AR's, tons of them actually some quite good others not so much. Yet they are not a Colt and to some that matters.

For some people it's not how broad a companies product line is or how successful their marketing is. These people are looking for a specific product made by a specific company, in this instance it's a Colt AR. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if FN started selling a civilian version of their M4. Will it have the same draw as the Colt?...probably not and if they sell for less some may even suspect they are an inferior product.

My suggestion is that if you have a LE6920 you may want to hang onto it while scarcity drives up the price. Think Colt Python. Wish I had bought a new Python way back when the shakers and movers were telling us they were over priced...
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 03:50 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 2,500 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Good thing I got mine before I was told to boycott Colt.
Love mine have it loaded with 10+1 PDX1 230 grains ; also so much for Colt not coming up with anything other than the same ole same the Defender is awesome IMO

I may have a 6920 as well
Old 09-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,112 Times in 3,889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
I may have a 6920 as well
Lost mine in a fire in 2011 and haven't been able to find a replacement locally. My patrol rifle was an HBAR for a long time.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 09:56 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Item number:832358567 on Gunbroker

A NIB 6920 that SOLD for $2626.00 with 46 bids

Waiting another month before I begin listing skinny barreled Colts...
Old 09-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,186 Times in 4,918 Posts

Local shop that I do the internet advertising for has three of those Colt .308/.223 rifles in his private collection, NIB.
He is totally computer illiterate.

Yesterday I took the pictures and he is letting me judge when to list them.
Anything over his cost and auction fees he is splitting 50/50 with me.

There is a semi-local auctioneer that does bimonthly gun auctions near Pittsburgh.
Mostly all collectible stuff, no run of the mill Savage Axis or Hipoint crap.
I going to call him Monday and might have him run one instead of doing the internet.
The crazies at his auctions typically will go 25-50% over what Gunbroker selling prices are since his auction is cash and carry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Yesterday I took the pictures and he is letting me judge when to list them.
Anything over his cost and auction fees he is splitting 50/50 with me.

The auction I referenced above was one of those penny auctions I believe. Price ran up FAST.

Watching another that ends on the 11th and it is getting way on up there as well.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:51 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinter View Post
I just bought a Colt 1911 and I'd buy another one tomorrow.

For a floundering company this move makes sense. The AR market is saturated and by announcing this they just sold every one they had in inventory.

They'll focus on defense contracts for a few years, then bring their ARs back out to the public for a "limited time" and sell them like hot cakes.

In the meantime they can continue to focus on refining their handgun line for the civilian market.
Check.

It's a business play. They look good to anti's, while dumping products only in a saturated market where their price point didn't work anyway, allowing them to focus on contracts instead of lawsuits.
Not to mention most of us can still walk in to a gun shop and buy or order an "LE" model if we want to pay that price for it anyhow.

Fake news. Good for them, bad for ignorant. Shuts the door in the face of Fuds before they can ask "how much?".
Old 10-16-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG23 View Post
Item number:832358567 on Gunbroker

A NIB 6920 that SOLD for $2626.00 with 46 bids

Waiting another month before I begin listing skinny barreled Colts...
I've got a 6920 or two I wouldn't mind turning in to an sr15 or two.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swamp_Yankee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp_Yankee View Post
I've got a 6920 or two I wouldn't mind turning in to an sr15 or two.
Sell it and build like 6 better rifles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post: