Geo-Bachelor survival… - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-07-2019, 07:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,903 Times in 4,202 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
With all due respect. I disagree.
You might consider a used Honda CT 90 or 110.
Small, light, quite, reliable, frugal on gas, will go 55 mph on pavement, street legal & go off-road.
Will carry you, a pack & small spare gas can.
I have toted a 1/4 of an elk with one, several times.
Will fit in the trunk of most cars, with the trunk lid secured down with a bungee cord.

If you can ride a bicycle, with an hour or 2 practice, you can master one of these.
They are not a macho machine, but they get the tasks done.
Sweet bikes! Yeah, I'm just really limited (like really limited) on storage and workspace. I have very few tools and getting a used one would be just money thrown at a local shop to tune it up. The more I do the cost benefit analysis, the less feasible that option becomes. If I prioritized having one as a hobby, it would be easier, but it just isn't and while I'm a geo-bachelor for the next 5-6 months, I will be putting more time into phsyical conditioning and backpacking/mountain biking.

I do like the option and it's a future consideration when I get back home, but would be a little difficult to get into out here...have you seen traffic in Alexandria, VA at rush hour! Besides given the winter weather, they become even less feasible as a short term option here. Stop temping me Bunkerbuster!

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 08:43 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,921 Times in 2,650 Posts

Rock, with all due respect, you sure come up with a lot of reasons to reject your best options to get out 'Hell' safely and quickly.

There is almost no 'winter weather' in Alexandria. The rare snow disappears in a day or two. Most winters have no snow whatsoever. My Hondas, and most of the ones I've seen have 'knobby's' and do quite well in soft snow (within reason). Otherwise you can sit it out for a day and the snow will be gone.

The beauty of something like a trail bike is that you can get it through stalled traffic, even riding down a sidewalk when necessary, lift it over obstacles, etc. Then the potential of 50 MPH on open stretches.

A tankful of gas and a 5 gallon can on the back will get you home (potentially in one long hard day).

Of course you have the 'option' of getting in superb condition and can jog home with a 50 pound pack in a safe 2 weeks and never have to be concerned with either weather or hordes of people (scavenging food on the way).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 34,699 Times in 9,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
Rock, with all due respect, you sure come up with a lot of reasons to reject your best options to get out 'Hell' safely and quickly.

There is almost no 'winter weather' in Alexandria. The rare snow disappears in a day or two. Most winters have no snow whatsoever. My Hondas, and most of the ones I've seen have 'knobby's' and do quite well in soft snow (within reason). Otherwise you can sit it out for a day and the snow will be gone.

The beauty of something like a trail bike is that you can get it through stalled traffic, even riding down a sidewalk when necessary, lift it over obstacles, etc. Then the potential of 50 MPH on open stretches.

A tankful of gas and a 5 gallon can on the back will get you home (potentially in one long hard day).

Of course you have the 'option' of getting in superb condition and can jog home with a 50 pound pack in a safe 2 weeks and never have to be concerned with either weather or hordes of people (scavenging food on the way).
I thanked this post, now Im going to take issue with part of it.

I worked for the US Navy for 32 yrs. I traveled to the DC Cesspool many times, and drove thru snow and ice many times. Rocks Subaru is far better suited than a cycle during the mid winter.

During the other nine months of the year, i completely agree with your suggestion. If I were forced to spend several months in the Cesspool, I would figgure out several transportation methods to escape.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I'm an expert at rationalizing any decision I want to make Seriously, I just have to factor in a lot of aspects that limit that choice. Honestly, if I was to permanently live in this area, I bike would be a significant part of a bugout plan. I had to drive up to north again this morning and just imagining the worse-case traffic horror, anything with four wheels would be locked down. A motorcycle (specifically an Enduro-type) would be about the only way to navigate significant SHFT gridlock; sure you could maneuver on foot and even a bicycle, but a motorcycle would actually make more progress and distance.

So, I have to balance a budget, storage space, work space, hobby dedication, licensing, maintenance, etc. Too many eggs in one basket. I did see a tube-video of a guy who had a "bugout van" and stored his motorcycle inside...that was cool, but I have to look at feasible options that make the most sense from a cost-benefit analysis. Heck NW GUY recommended I get flight lessons Both are good suggestions, but I have to look at more than just an extra set of wheels (or wings) to get me out of the AO.

I am looking at a tiered approach with the car, mountain bike, and on foot. With a motorcycle, I only have two means, and while weather may not be as severe as other areas, I would feel safer on four wheels than two.

Right now, my focus is on having spare gas, well-maintained vehicle/bicycle, some extra stores of food, and route planning. I still think the biggest focus is on intel and getting both weather and news alerts as often as possible (hard to do where I'll be working)…

So, I'm not outright rejecting those options, as they are sound, but they're simply not too high on the priority and planning list...

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 09:07 PM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hick Industries View Post
I worked for the US Navy for 32 yrs. I traveled to the DC Cesspool many times, and drove thru snow and ice many times. Rocks Subaru is far better suited than a cycle during the mid winter.
Hick, you were based in California. You might have traveled to DC a bit but I can guarantee you, you didn't travel through snow and ice many times (you would have had to be extremely unlucky if you can call it anything but occasional).

Without a doubt a Subaru is a much better travel option if the roads are unblocked for automobile travel.

The whole premise for this thread was for an alternative means of travel when the automobile was not an option. We're not talking about an everyday commute, we're talking getting out of Dodge in an emergency.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:16 PM
Homesteader

@ Rock, some of those smaller engine powered bikes do not have the same licensing requirements (in some states) as a real motorcycle and can easily be carried on a hitch carrier. Oh, if you don't want a Honda, you can get a two cycle engine on ebay to power your mountain bike for about $90 (full kit) or a 4 cycle for about $160. It ought to go at least 500 miles before it dies and then you could pedal the rest if necessary (no idea about their endurance). Just another viable option and they weigh very little, plus you say you are set up already to maintain a bike. I'd lean towards the 4 cycle because they are quieter and probably have a longer life and you don't have to mix fuel.

I have a neighbor who bought one (complete) locally and buzzes up and down our rural road about every day for fun. He has to have at least 500 miles total on it just poking around our neighborhood.

And you said I-95, is home somewhere in eastern Jawgiah? I'm thinking of other possible options.
The Following User Says Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 07:23 AM
Survivor

Quote:
And you said I-95, is home somewhere in eastern Jawgiah? I'm thinking of other possible options.
Near Lorton. Right now, I'm planning routes to get over to 81 (somewhere near Fort Valley), just to get out of the immediate area and give me more options. Unless I'm a SHTF psychic and get a several hour head-start, I really want to avoid the whole 95 corridor.

While transportation has become the main topic for obvious reasons, my current focus is really on feasible routes and mapping several alternatives. I'll get to do some physical recons in the next few weeks.

ROCK6
Old 10-09-2019, 07:42 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,080 Times in 959 Posts

Don't rule out the Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway either. May be a viable option, or portions thereof.

No towns.

Services, yet limited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 08:06 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,430 Times in 543 Posts

An excuse for me to play with GE this morning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fort_Valley.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	292646  
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Mjolnir For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Homesteader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelfilter View Post
Don't rule out the Skyline Drive & Blue Ridge Parkway either. May be a viable option, or portions thereof.

No towns.

Services, yet limited.

This This is an option I would choose but naturally the initial problem is getting there from the metropolitan area . You would have much, much more potential for winter storms than I-95 but lesser chance of complete gridlock in dry weather.

I-81 is slightly better than I-95 but not enough to make it a good choice, with the added problem of just getting there (I believe I've read where it has the highest volume of truck traffic in the US). Best to just choose the most direct route. I can almost guarantee you that both will be gridlocked in a get out of Dodge situation. Even in normal conditions there is always a good chance they will be blocked for a few hours. Imagine what it will be like in a widespread emergency. I was caught by a snowstorm in Kentucky a few years ago and the interstate was closed for a couple of days (but if the interstates are closed you won't be moving on the back roads either with an auto or motorcycle). I was also caught a few years ago in an exodus from a championship football game (and I wasn't at the game) coming out of Florida, and it was stop and go and crawl for many hours, took probably 6 hours to go a hundred miles until the traffic eased. Again imagine if everyone (not just football fans) was trying to flee.

Without knowing what part of Georgia you wish to reach it is difficult to advise but in all situations, a powered bike would be high on my list of options. This would give you FOUR options (with a bike on a carrier). First choice, auto as far as you can go (if you are lucky, all the way home). Second, a powered bike (cheap option), go as far as the engine is functional. Third, pedal as far as that is an option. Fourth, backpack, on a trail or cross country, or paralleling the highway where you have a couple of caches (depending where you are at when you reach this last option).

There is always the possibility that even with the "best laid plans of mice and men" you'll still not make it but with all those options I'm pretty sure I could make it a mere 600 miles. Particularly since you have a known starting point and a known destination (and a selected route) and the real opportunity to place a few caches, you'd have to try real hard not to succeed.

Life being what it is, a person might catch a bullet in the first hour. And life being what it is, you'll likely go for the next 6 months without needing any of this.

Your choice!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM
Survivor

Quote:

Life being what it is, a person might catch a bullet in the first hour. And life being what it is, you'll likely go for the next 6 months without needing any of this.

Your choice!!
Yeap. Still it's a good academic exercise and there are several breweries I want to visit which will allow me to 'recon' routes Survival and bugout planning should be some fun!

ROCK6
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:

No towns.

Services, yet limited.
I don't know about Skyline Drive, but the Parkway gets closed (gates shut and locked) during the winter because the Park Service can't (or won't) plow the road.

The parkway is a fine option in the summer. But its gated in the winter, and many stretches stay covered in snow and ice for months on end.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to John McNeil For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Quote:

Life being what it is, a person might catch a bullet in the first hour. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] And life being what it is, you'll likely go for the next 6 months without needing any of this.

Your choice!!
Yeap. Still it's a good academic exercise and there are several breweries I want to visit which will allow me to 'recon' routes[IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] Survival and bugout planning should be some fun!

ROCK6
Check out the River Company brewery if you ever come near or through Radford VA.

I never had a beer there that wasn't excellent. The food is good too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John McNeil For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,080 Times in 959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McNeil View Post
I don't know about Skyline Drive, but the Parkway gets closed (gates shut and locked) during the winter because the Park Service can't (or won't) plow the road.

The parkway is a fine option in the summer. But its gated in the winter, and many stretches stay covered in snow and ice for months on end.

From: https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

"...The Parkway is open 24 hours a day, but visitor services may be limited during the evening and off-season. The gates only close due to inclement weather, which occurs most frequently during the winter months, from November through April..."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 03:11 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,015 Times in 3,632 Posts

Quote:

No towns.

Services, yet limited.
Keep in mind that while those routes aren't crowded now (due to lack of commuters) during a shtf event they could still end up clogged as people desperately take any route away from the metropolitan areas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2019, 02:21 AM

Used to work oil field off shore as an ROV tech, being in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico I pondered getting home in a SHTF situation. If mass communication went down our ability to communicate with the Heliports we contracted out to would be non existent, so there goes that ride unless they're already docked with the rig. Boats of course are the second option, which there was always emergency craft on hand, but not our larger crew boats. If I managed to get back to Louisiana, I still had to make it home, which honestly if I had a boat sticking to the intercostal wouldn't be that hard, still ride it on jet skis for fun.

Why did I stay in a job that put me that far out? The money of course, 6 figures at 21 was a dream, and I got half the year off due to rotation work. It was a risk vs reward scenario, and the rewards out weighed the risk. Sure in a SHTF event it would be hard getting home, maybe impossible, but it gave me opportunity most guys my age never get. I'd do it again, gainful employment opens up more doors if you keep at it, it's worth the risk, I'd take the job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acadian For This Useful Post: