Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-01-2019, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,341 Times in 9,075 Posts
Default Off Grid Log Cabin Living In Canada

Advertise Here

I have been watching this man for nearly 2 and a half years. I stumbled onto him when he was putting the floor in the cabin. He's my number 1 channel I watch religiously. His channel is called My Self Reliance, his name is Shawn James and he has built his log cabin by hand with nothing but hand tools like they did in the old days.

Now, he does use a chainsaw for cutting the logs into lumber , he calls it an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, had never heard of it before but everything from chopping the trees down to building he uses hand tools and I don't mean electric or battery powered ones either. He has done all of this by himself. He has Callie as a companion. A Golden Retriever who I think is the real star of the show, lol.

He has built his log cabin, what he calls a forest kitchen with an earthen oven he built himself, an outhouse, a log cabin sauna, a wood shed, he's at the moment building a side porch onto the cabin and he has talked about building a log cabin shop to make stuff in.

He hunts, traps, and he also cooks what he hunts. He finally put in a small garden this year. He has talked about making his own clothing out of leather and hides starting this winter. That's what he's striving for anyway. Whether he get's around to doing it we'll see.

He dosen't talk much in the videos. He might say a couple of sentences about what he's doing but mainly it's just him working and the sound of the wind in the trees or raining. Very relaxing, he'll describe down below in the description box what he's doing or cooking but he has a second channel called Shawn James where he explains any and everything he does or where and what he plans on doing next. Basically a behind the scenes thing.

Anyway, I got to thinking that some of y'all Do It Yourselfer's might like his channel too. He has close to 1 million subscribers. Anyway, I am going to post a couple of his vids. Hope y'all like him too.

For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,768 Times in 952 Posts

You should check out a video called Alone in the Wilderness by a guy named **** Proenneke.. That guy made everything.. Took things like axe heads, hammer heads, shovel heads and made all his handles..

They made at least 2 videos about him and what he did. The first was pretty much every step for building his cabin. This was in the early 60's No generators, no electricity of any kind.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
You should check out a video called Alone in the Wilderness by a guy named **** Proenneke.. That guy made everything.. Took things like axe heads, hammer heads, shovel heads and made all his handles..

They made at least 2 videos about him and what he did. The first was pretty much every step for building his cabin. This was in the early 60's No generators, no electricity of any kind.
Yes, I know about him, I watched him on PBS during the 70's. Used to have a copy of those videos but have lost them. I have read just about every one of his books and he was the reason I have always wanted to build a log cabin.

Shawn went a couple of months ago and spent a few days at his cabin. He also seen those videos and visiting his cabin was on his bucket list.
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,327 Times in 2,751 Posts

There is so much land up here its easy to go off grid . The governments are always looking for people doing it so they can tax them though .
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 AM
Hiker

If fish and wildlife, emnr, or any of the others find you they'll burn you out
Old 10-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenahlake View Post
If fish and wildlife, emnr, or any of the others find you they'll burn you out
Not sure what you're saying but he owns his land so I don't see the problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,905 Times in 1,311 Posts

I watch his videos now and then and they are awesome.

What I really enjoy and it usually wont make it to YT is when a person builds a place like that from the seat of their pants so to speak with very little to no money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 01:55 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,768 Times in 952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarmyguy View Post
There is so much land up here its easy to go off grid . The governments are always looking for people doing it so they can tax them though .
I lived in Anchorage twice, 4 years during a hitch in the Air Force, later a 4 year hitch in Fairbanks, then when I retired from Air Force, my wife and I went back and lived in Anchorage for 7 years before heading to the Outside..

One thing I noticed was more about living in Fairbanks than Anchorage and it's basically, I'm a people watcher, head on a swivel type guy. If I saw a guy walking down the aisle that just didn't look like he belonged there, I'd wander in his general direction, only to never be able to find him again.. It's like they disappeared in plain site. I'd ask store workers if they saw a guy in such and such a jacket, usually carrying a medium sized backpack.. Nope, never seen him..

I guess you can say they had the Grey Man thing down to an exact science but, I considered them ghosts because of the way they'd disappear..

I figured they were living way off grid and only came to town to restock what they couldn't make out in the land they lived on..

I was on a small bush plane and sitting next to the pilot and after I told him that, He said, here, let me give you an example that will rock your world."

Just barely in site there was a small cabin built in a decent area next to a river, woods to it's back and nobody around for miles..

The pilot went a little higher, then cut his engines back to they were extremely quiet. The cabin had smoke coming out of the chimney, then it all disappeared in a matter of seconds. We flew right over the cabin and you could hardly tell anyone was there..

Good times..
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 06:22 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,515 Times in 4,815 Posts

Flying over Western Canada is downright amazing. Nothing there at all. I'm not sure I'd be happy living in a place like that.
Old 10-12-2019, 07:07 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,920 Times in 3,597 Posts

Im to old to try anything like that, but like most folks on here ,we wish we would have started something like that when we were younger,Best i can do now is read about men and women that have done it and i enjoy the books on that subject, Time go,s by way to fast, I remember my dad telling me and my brother DONT BE IN A HURRY TO GROW UP, you wont like it, HOW RIGHT HE WAS.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimbowie1 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 07:37 PM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 17,765 Times in 5,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post

Shawn stayed at Proenneke's Alaska cabin about 4 months ago... he's got Proenneke's books in his cabin in Ontario....

I've been watching Shawn since he started, great stuff. His reason for building the cabin was having a BOL for his family.

He has 2 channels:

My Self Reliance: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIM...XXCeq2UJePJEog

Shawn James: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...iait4FzEbwKCAg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2019, 07:47 PM
Survivor

here's one I built when I was 19 year old. I had nearly nothing for resources but I had a old homelite chainsaw, axes and such. A really low paying job. I scrounged and scrounged.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,327 Times in 2,751 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
Flying over Western Canada is downright amazing. Nothing there at all. I'm not sure I'd be happy living in a place like that.
Way to many antigun liberals up here. If I could I would move to Alaska.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM
Gatorbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXplowgirl View Post
I have been watching this man for nearly 2 and a half years. I stumbled onto him when he was putting the floor in the cabin. He's my number 1 channel I watch religiously. His channel is called My Self Reliance, his name is Shawn James and he has built his log cabin by hand with nothing but hand tools like they did in the old days.

Now, he does use a chainsaw for cutting the logs into lumber , he calls it an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, had never heard of it before but everything from chopping the trees down to building he uses hand tools and I don't mean electric or battery powered ones either. He has done all of this by himself. He has Callie as a companion. A Golden Retriever who I think is the real star of the show, lol.

He has built his log cabin, what he calls a forest kitchen with an earthen oven he built himself, an outhouse, a log cabin sauna, a wood shed, he's at the moment building a side porch onto the cabin and he has talked about building a log cabin shop to make stuff in.

He hunts, traps, and he also cooks what he hunts. He finally put in a small garden this year. He has talked about making his own clothing out of leather and hides starting this winter. That's what he's striving for anyway. Whether he get's around to doing it we'll see.

He dosen't talk much in the videos. He might say a couple of sentences about what he's doing but mainly it's just him working and the sound of the wind in the trees or raining. Very relaxing, he'll describe down below in the description box what he's doing or cooking but he has a second channel called Shawn James where he explains any and everything he does or where and what he plans on doing next. Basically a behind the scenes thing.

Anyway, I got to thinking that some of y'all Do It Yourselfer's might like his channel too. He has close to 1 million subscribers. Anyway, I am going to post a couple of his vids. Hope y'all like him too.

Raising the Roof | The Forest Kitchen | Off Grid Log Cabin Build, Ep.3 S1 - YouTube

Primitive Clay Mud Oven | The Forest Kitchen | Off Grid Log Cabin Build, Ep.10 S1 - YouTube
Had a buddy who built his log cabin home almost entirely by hand over the course of 4 years. He basically just used the Foxfire books for instructions
The Following User Says Thank You to Arch Stanton For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 05:52 PM
I give up

Thanked 18,515 Times in 4,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
here's one I built when I was 19 year old. I had nearly nothing for resources but I had a old homelite chainsaw, axes and such. A really low paying job. I scrounged and scrounged.

That's impressive! Is it still standing?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cujet For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 PM
On phonics

Thanked 2,468 Times in 845 Posts

I've enjoyed following Shawns channel. Another similar channel on YouTube is The Outsider.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujet View Post
That's impressive! Is it still standing?

It is, or as far as I know a few years ago. It's made from yellow pine, staked dry stone piers, the gables are rough oak boards picked up from a local sawmill. The tin roof came from a old house on a adjoining piece of property, the owner gave to me. I ended up leaving due to the lack of work, couldn't make it on 2 bucks an hour. Sold the place to my brother.

A rich man playing in the woods doesn't really impress me like someone that does it on bootstraps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,356 Times in 2,687 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steverino View Post
Shawn stayed at Proenneke's Alaska cabin about 4 months ago... he's got Proenneke's books in his cabin in Ontario....

Proenneke's Log Cabin Tour | Off Grid Cabins in Alaska | My Perspective - YouTube

I've been watching Shawn since he started, great stuff. His reason for building the cabin was having a BOL for his family.

He has 2 channels:

My Self Reliance: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIM...XXCeq2UJePJEog

Shawn James: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5L...iait4FzEbwKCAg
My wife and I spent a week one summer about a decade ago on Twin Lakes. It’s certainly worth a trip out to see Proenneke’s work.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alaskajohn For This Useful Post: