Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-13-2019, 05:30 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,347 Times in 4,315 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
That's your opinion butt nugget.
Yes......I'm the one saying it..... If you where the one saying it would be your opinion....and also wrong.

Quote:
And yes, Zippo's are a great survival tool. It's just your hatred for doing any maintenance that blinds you.
Hatred is pretty strong......I at the best what I am feeling is mild annoyance....at once again having to argue survival topics with people who are really only interested in politics and religion but think their drug habits somehow apply to survival gear.

Quote:
I have 30 years experience telling me you're wrong,
Really???

Quote:
Fortunately, of all the times I've used a Zippo and all the times I started fires were NOT in a survival situation.
Again why am I not surprised?

Quote:
Study up on Venn diagrams buddy.
Okay.....buddy....Here's one for you.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2019, 06:01 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,835 Times in 10,440 Posts

Quote:
I have 30 years experience telling me you're wrong,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Really???
Really. I really have 30 years experience using Zippo's to start fires, seeing BIC lighters fail more times than I can count.

Quote:
Fortunately, of all the times I've used a Zippo and all the times I started fires were NOT in a survival situation.
Quote:
Again why am I not surprised?
Because you know I am smart enough to mainly avoid survival situations by being proactive. If anyone started a thread titled, "Avoiding Survival Situation - Good Old SAK," you can be sure I'd post fondly there as well.

Quote:
Hatred is pretty strong
But hate is accurate. If someone wanted a thread about good old Coleman fuel tanks, I would not rain on their parade using some pretext like how I don't think they make a good survival item compared to alternatives that I prefer.

Quote:
think their drug habits somehow apply to survival
gear.
See above.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 07:22 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
If someone wanted a thread about good old Coleman fuel tanks, I would not rain on their parade using some pretext like how I don't think they make a good survival item compared to alternatives that I prefer.
Just one of many differences between you and me. I don't have to hate something to simply say its obsolete. A good deal of the stuff I own is obsolete, (including my zippo) I would never recommend it to anyone as survival gear. I don't hate it, often far the contrary...but I do know their is a difference between what I like and what is practical.

I would however say I hate it when people lack critical thinking skills, when they are so caught up in their own confirmation bias they can't objectively judge their own thoughts and actions anymore. When they will flip mental gymnastics to avoid simply saying "I just like it, thats all"
Old 10-13-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
its obsolete.

I would however say I hate it when people lack critical thinking skills, when they are so caught up in their own confirmation bias they can't objectively judge their own thoughts and actions anymore. When they will flip mental gymnastics to avoid simply saying "I just like it, thats all"
LOL. Projecting your own confirmation bias. I doubt your hatred would be satisfied by me simply saying "I just like it, that's all." You have to condemn Zippo's as obsolete by closed-mindedly considering only a minimalist survival standard of judgment! Which shows your motivation for posting in this thread.

Not being a minimalist, I reject the minimalist survival standard of judgment. Calling Zippo's obsolete is your opinion and does not change the fact that the Zippo fire starting survival tool still works better than BIC alternatives when properly maintained. I don't trust not knowing how much fuel is in a BIC or its fragility compared to the refillable steel Zippo. Besides, this thread is not about which is better but appreciating Zippo's. Obviously, you cannot do that, making you a troll.

Your confirmation bias cannot deal with me saying "I just like it because it is a great non-minimalist fire starting survival tool based on 30 years of field experience." My own counsel will I keep on effective survival tools, not defer to some keyboard warrior spewing hate and insults on the good old Zippo and fans.

Why don't you pretend I simply said "I just like it, thats all" and move on to other threads to hate on?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,045 Times in 452 Posts

I like mine don't use it as much as I used to but you need to keep a bick inside your jacket or sometimes it wont light or sometimes gets full of fluff from your pocket when we were kids you carried wooden matches in a waterproof case or a zippo and made hundred's of campfires usually to thaw out your sammich that was frozen solid
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wldrbob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 08:43 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Why don't you pretend I simply said "I just like it, thats all" and move on to other threads to hate on?
Three reasons.

1, I don't want anyone who doesn't know better from experience to think just because you are the loudest voice in the room that you somehow are speaking truth.

2. The more I refute your, let's just face it, outright lies about this argument, (which is easy to do as its all posted in black and white, well, everyone's posts but but yours.), the more mentally unstable you seem to become, which only helps goal 1.

3. Everyone enjoys dishing out a little mockery and you provide low hanging fruit in this regard.

You see, pretending that the other person said something they didn't is your modus operandi, not mine.

Perhaps you should just pretend I never posted here and go back to whatever it is you get up down in the religious and political section while enjoying your drugs of choice lite up by whatever means you find the most satisfying, safe in the knowledge you won't have to face up to any arguments from me down there. With a little luck months will pass before we happen to cross paths on a thread again.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM

Quote:
I don't want anyone who doesn't know better from experience to think just because you are the loudest voice in the room that you somehow are speaking truth.
Agh, your motivation for spewing hate in this thread is altruistic. Gotcha!

If you haven't noticed, besides you and me, most other posters here are found of Zippo's and not engaging in Zippo and bashing. Haters got to hate.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post

If you haven't noticed, besides you and me, most other posters here are found of Zippo's and not engaging in Zippo and bashing. Haters got to hate.
I didn't see anyone saying they where fond of zippos besides you and the OP....everyone else was talking about how hard they are to keep working and tips and tricks to make them fail slower. "They suck" seemed to figure prominently. (I see you didn't go after bunker buster for 'spewing hate" which shows you at least have some common sense.

The thread was pretty open and shut until you decided to.....get excited, to put it politely.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:24 PM

Quote:
The thread was pretty open and shut until you decided to.....get excited, to put it politely.
Yea, to refute the BS you are peddling.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:01 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

Some vintage flint wheel lighter fluid fueled lighters SEAL much tighter that Zippo’s.
Which GREATLY slows down fuel evaporation, which Zippo’s are well known for.

For instance, vintage Ronson Typhoon lighters are a good example:

They have a protruding ridge around the top of the insert, that the lower case & upper lid seal fairly tightly against. Once ranger banded, that seal area is that much tighter.

SEE BELOW:

Smaller compact No 4, 5 & 6 brass pull top lighters also seal tightly
(because of the way the case is constructed)

Both can be found on eBay cheap, with careful patient shopping.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:03 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,943 Times in 924 Posts
Exclamation

Man if you guys put half this much energy and effort into maintaining your equipment there wouldnít be any issues or questions about if a zippo will work for you or not!

Iíve never smoked and yet carry a Zippo every winter and have for years! Itís a piece of gear that will work in pretty much any temperature and at any altitude. It is also very unlikely to rupture on you since itís not sealed!

Itís made out of real stuff in this country and designed to last for a very long time!

You ďpayĒ for these advantages with regular fueling and minimal maintenance.

SD
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SheepDog68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 01:27 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,150 Posts

Kind of funny that we have an argument going on about the merits of a cheap disposable, non refillable, non repairable, vs. a multi-fuel, serviceable, that could be passed on to the next generation...

Bic are okay. Much like the cheap clear body pens, they do a good job of non critical work. I'll say that it is somewhat less common to get a dud, but it happens. Seals fail, or a seam leaks, and that is the end of it. Not wind proof in the slightest, and challenging to keep going due to ergonomic restraints, while adding material or getting the flame in the right spot occasionally.

Found that Zippo style lighters are much more forgiving in the wind, and when it's challenging to get a fire going. I don't believe that I have any Zippo brand lighters, but the Star lighters are very similar and work well. Adding fuel isn't really a draw back, more of a maintenance. Just like flashlight batteries. Melting a little candle wax around the edge of the insert seems to help. When I go out, I usually have a little extra fuel. It's easy to carry a small UTS(?) vial. Or a small lighter fluid dispenser.

I also like the small peanut style lighters that look like a large stainless pill. They aren't quite as wind proof, but with the o-ring top, they are water proof, and have used one to start a fire, having not filled it for about 4 months.

I always have lighter fluid in the door pockets of my vehicles, but if I am in the vehicle, I can use gas, or other fluids, or a mixture of fluids in a pinch.

I used to think pretty highly of a piezo sparked micro torch that I carried hunting, camping, and exploring. I would also carry a spare Ronson style lighter as a refill for it as well. It was a good tool, but I recognized that it could quit. A little moisture in the wrong spot could mess it up for while. Finally the ignition quit, and that was it. Also carried a few refillable jet lighters, but eventually they seem to quit, or leak.

Read an article on a survival Zippo in Backwoodsman, and I did kind of dismiss it at the time. I've come to realize that I took the simplicity and durability of these lighters for granted. Now, more often than not I'll find that I tend to slip a Star into my watch pocket as part of EDC.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:19 PM
read more, post less

Quote:
As a single zippo is good for a fire a day for at least ten years, no, I donít think you will.

Post anything you want in whatever section you like. You where simply wrong about the zippo being a good survival tool. Thatís no big deal. Peter on the other hand was arguing against the very nature of what survival means, and that is annoys the heck out of me. I still havenít figured out a good catch all term for these people, survival groupies? Gear whores? I donít know. You can identify them though by their post history. People who just like to hang out on a survival forum but all they do is talk politics and occasionally wander up into the survival section to troll.
Wow, just wow. What the hell did I do to you? I thought we here were all pretty much like minded individuals and on the same page. Obviously, not with you. We get it. You don't think the Zippo is a good survival tool. But the vitriol and hate in which you've used to express that is as if I had posted this thread like this: "The world is coming to an end and if you do not have a Zippo, you're all going to die for sure!!".

I know most of your 'argument' here has been with Peter, but you still make sure that "and the OP" is thrown in there and now you have this reply directly to me where you resort to name calling.

Well Bless Your Heart for that. I have found in my years that when a person realizes that their position may not be factually as firm as they are trying to make it out to be, they get to name calling. So thank you. NO really, thank you.

I feel sorry for whatever group/team you wind up on. With the attitude you've shown here, I doubt you would tolerate being led by others, and God have mercy on your followers, or you since they might 'accidentally' shoot your ass.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 09:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

Resolves the ZIPPO weather, moisture proofing & fuel evaporation issues

Housing accepts standard Zippo lighter & similar clone lighter inserts including both fluid and butane torch models

O-ring seal keeps the elements out and minimizes evaporation

Low-profile MOLLE/PALS webbing clip

Spring loaded cap for one-handed operation

Made of rugged, heat-resistant reinforced polymer

LINK
(I am not affiliated)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Un...53.m2749.l2649

If (by chance) you want a wholesale deal on a 100 or more, I have a link - PM me
Old 10-25-2019, 12:16 AM
read more, post less

Sold! Well, one at least. Gotta try before one buys in bulk.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,339 Posts

And Zippo has that lifetime guarantee.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 03:12 AM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Wow, just wow. What the hell did I do to you? I
Nothing. I thought I made that clear.

Actually nobody 'did' anything to me at all. One person decided to get very excited because we where replying to a topic from a survival viewpoint rather than....well, I still don't really understand...entertainment? viewpoint? For some reason that got focused on me...which is fine...if kind of confusing but if I'm going to be lighting rod so be it. But you where neither the perpetrator or target.

Quote:
I know most of your 'argument' here has been with Peter, but you still make sure that "and the OP" is thrown in there and now you have this reply directly to me where you resort to name calling.
Um...what? Who? What name did I call you? What name did I call anyone? Are you confusing me with peter? HE certainly was name calling. I think the phrase he likes is 'Butt nugget' if I can recall.

I haven't been so confused since the maglight thread last year. I guess some people really really love certain pieces of obsolete gear.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
One person decided to get very excited because we where replying to a topic from a survival viewpoint rather than....well, I still don't really understand...entertainment? viewpoint?
We were NOT replying from a survival viewpoint but from a minimalist, Zippo bashing standpoint.

You donít understand still BECAUSE you are a butt nugget. Venn diagrams are beyond your intellectual capacity.

This thread is not about minimalism but fire starting and holding Zippo lighters as dear. Bashing them makes you a troll. if you were a decent human being youíd let this thread go to Zippo lovers.

BTW, had a cigar last week with a dear friend by a camp fire. Told him, then showed him how a flame from a Zippo is 5x the flame of a BIC, in terms of width, thickness and height. Much better!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2019, 05:10 AM
Abnormality biased.

I'd really rather not hear about people smoking 'cigars' and comparing width, thickness and height.

You are of course free to 'love' whatever you want but generally its best to keep that kind of talk in the general sections of the forum and keep the survivalism sections clear for practical survival discussion if you can't tolerate critique from that perspective.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,181 Times in 3,809 Posts

I have a zippo, a dispenser of flints and a bottle of lighter fluid in a ziplock bag in my main pack. The lighter came with extra wick material under the cotton flap. When I smoked a bottle would last more than a year and that was lighting 20-30 cigarettes a day.
I figure whatís in my pack will last longer than a person would likely survive if things ever got so bad you couldnít get another bottle.

I think sometimes people overthink things. Zippos still exist because theyíre durable and reliable, itís one of the few products that was 98% perfect from the day it was first made.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Revmgt For This Useful Post: