Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-14-2019, 01:12 PM
Hunter

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 View Post
Does anyone here have any? You tube views dosent count

Im working on getting a well at my property, I would like to do this myself. Ive tried to find shallow water by digging down 27 feet in a couple of places with my hand auger and extensions. No water to be found, moist sand but nothing worth getting excited over.

Im considering this https://www.drillawell.com/complete-kit but would like to talk with someone that has actual experience with jetting in a well. Id like to discuss depths achieved and equipment needed.

Any takers?
Our 40+ yr. old well failed last year and could not be repaired. Cost $5462 in 8/2019 for a 40 ft. well, and I'm in SE MI where it's mostly clay and gravel under me. I could have saved a couple hundred by dealing with all the permits myself, but my wife was very pregnant and having complications, so I didn't have time to fool with that. This included a new, larger pressure tank. I did not shop around for quotes, but should have.

Assuming water is within a reasonable depth, and you are just going through clay, sand, and gravel, it is feasible. If you need to go 100'+ feet through a lot of rock, I think you are in for a lot of work. That kit you linked says it only goes to 100 feet...what do you do if you need to go deeper?

Where are you located?
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 692 Posts

To the OP. That kit contains what looks like harbor freight junk and a gator aid bottle of white stuff.

You tube "air pump" there simple to make and can pump gravel and sand with just an air compressor. Not being able to see that cutting head very well but it looks like it jets water backwards.

I say thats about $250 in piece and parts max in that kit. I bet you could drill a 100ft well for the same price as that incomplete kit. Weather you hit water or not IDK.

Theres more to a well than just drilling a hole in the ground.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,973 Times in 956 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930 View Post
Does anyone here have any? You tube views dosent count

Im working on getting a well at my property, I would like to do this myself. Ive tried to find shallow water by digging down 27 feet in a couple of places with my hand auger and extensions. No water to be found, moist sand but nothing worth getting excited over.

Im considering this https://www.drillawell.com/complete-kit but would like to talk with someone that has actual experience with jetting in a well. Id like to discuss depths achieved and equipment needed.

Any takers?
I worked in the oilwell drilling industry in my youth and this kit looks like junk to me. Save your $ and hire someone in your area that knows the geology and can give you an idea of the average depth of water wells in your area. We need to know where you live and we can probably give you better advice. Water can be found in some places as shallow as 2 feet (ground water) and in some places water may be as deep as 1200 or more feet and require drilling through thick layers of rock. When I lived in the US in Texas we drilled a couple of oil wells that were dry holes for oil and gas but has great water down around 1200 feet. I do know that often times there will be found ground water in many areas can be less than 25 feet...another source down between 100 feet and 250 feet and possibly depending upon local geology another deep source below 400 feet to 1200 plus feet. You can find granite/shale type rock very shallow and sometimes be on a thick bed of clay and sand/gravel more than 500 feet deep before hitting bedrock...well drilling for fresh water is a gamble.

Drilling a water well is regulated in most US states and drilling a well requires permits and failing to get that permit can come with expensive fines. Why is well drilling regulated? To protect freshwater for ALL people from contamination. Do it wrong and you can damage or wreck wells for other users. When we drilled oil wells in Texas, we were told by the State of Texas the average depth of surface water in an area and MANDATED to set and cement steel casing to a depth that was below the freshwater table in the area of the oil well being drilled to protect the environment and also prevent oil well blowouts. There have been situations were a water well driller hit a shallow pocket of natural gas at less than 150 feet( very seldom but has happened) and had a blowout and an ensuing fire, how can an inexperience homeowner deal with a blow out he was not expecting or capable of dealing with? This is also why water well drilling is regulated. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news. Hope this helps
Old 10-30-2019, 08:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,243 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valveman View Post
Been drilling wells and fixing pumps for 50 years. Be glad to help if you need to talk.
Cary Austin 806-885-4445
Same valveman that's on the Terry Love Plumbing forum?