Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If you had to pick a 10mm semi auto or a 44mag revolver, which one would it be? Illinois Crackpot 66 Pistol and Revolver Forum 156 06-01-2018 09:11 PM
22 semi-auto pistol that eats anything Revision Pistol and Revolver Forum 68 12-05-2014 11:26 PM
First pistol. Semi or revolver? WildCard Pistol and Revolver Forum 36 12-16-2013 02:43 PM
Revolver or semi auto handgun? For long term survival. Sleepnasty Firearms General Discussion 43 04-05-2013 12:36 PM
ultimate survival side arm. semi auto or revolver? dowg Pistol and Revolver Forum 83 04-01-2012 07:18 PM
One caliber: revolver, semi auto, AND rifle MattNC Firearms General Discussion 32 03-19-2012 05:41 PM
Revolver Guy moving to Hi-Cap semi auto Dansanman Pistol and Revolver Forum 38 08-26-2011 09:21 PM
Revolver vs. Semi-Auto Brad in Seattle Pistol and Revolver Forum 35 03-16-2010 05:01 PM
.17 HMR semi auto pistol? MH12194 Pistol and Revolver Forum 11 01-31-2010 01:12 AM
Revolver or semi-auto for first pistol? kev Firearms General Discussion 33 06-13-2008 11:48 PM

Old 03-31-2016, 12:15 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

Advertise Here

If your life is going to depend on this gun, save up some more money and buy a decent gun. Your life is too important to waste it on cheaper model firearms.

If you have to scrimp and save, so be it. And quit being a gun snob. A good used gun is every bit as reliable as a new gun. Also take a look at the next line up above the pistols you named. Have you looked at Taurus guns? They make some pretty good guns but you have to be careful when you buy ANY gun. It is definitely buyer beware out there no matter which company's gun you purchase.

Now, here's the thing: There is a reason that the 4 inch revolver was a rookie cop's pistol. You leave a rookie in a room alone with an anvil for 5 minutes and I swear he will break that anvil some way, some how. Rookies are just proned to breaking things. The 4 inch revolver is a good, basic and accurate pistol that is pretty easy to conceal when needed. If you can get one in .357 magnum it will let you shoot both .357 and .38 Special ammo as you already know. But you will also need accessories for your revolver which is what you may have missed. You need speed loaders to help in quick reloading.

Here's an example of what I mean by speed loaders:

http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/revolver/

Good luck in your pistol search.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2016, 05:27 PM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,174 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH12194 View Post
So I've fallen into some extra cash and am in the market for a budget type pistol for $300 or under.

I came across two choices. An EAA Windicator .357 4" barrel for $309

Or a Kel-tec PF9 in OD for $280

Here are my issues. This isn't going to be a daily carry. But could end up as one in the future.

Pros of the 357 is it can shoot 38 special. Longer range and harder hitting.

The PF9 is cheaper to shoot and with an extra $200 slide and barrel can shoot .22 adding to the value.

It's hard to deside which is a better buy. I need to make a choice soon as gun prices keep rising and budget pistols are becoming less of a budget buy.

Any input is awesome.

1. Save your money so you can buy something a little nicer later on.

2. I will always recommend a Glock / Sig / XD / M&P 9mm over a revolver unless you are going to hunt. Then .460 s&w is a great option.

3. "Longer range" with a pistol... unless you are hunting deer or something, I wouldn't worry about it. And if you are, .460 s&w.

4. If it will eventually become a daily carry, then as others have recommended, your budget is thin.
The Following User Says Thank You to DadeMurphy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2019, 10:55 PM

My Advice is to hit GT Distributors and check out their used section. The trade in's are mostly in your price range.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH12194 View Post
So I've fallen into some extra cash and am in the market for a budget type pistol for $300 or under.

I came across two choices. An EAA Windicator .357 4" barrel for $309

Or a Kel-tec PF9 in OD for $280

Here are my issues. This isn't going to be a daily carry. But could end up as one in the future.

Pros of the 357 is it can shoot 38 special. Longer range and harder hitting.

The PF9 is cheaper to shoot and with an extra $200 slide and barrel can shoot .22 adding to the value.

It's hard to deside which is a better buy. I need to make a choice soon as gun prices keep rising and budget pistols are becoming less of a budget buy.

Any input is awesome.
Do yourself a favor and get a new shield or walther. Kel tec? Really?
Old 10-10-2019, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,217 Times in 2,863 Posts

He's had 7 years to figure out what to buy, I wonder what he ended up with.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,677 Posts

Pony up a few more bucks and get a Glock. I know, boring, but it's where its at.
For revolvers buy quality, that means Ruger or better. Other than a couple Spanish revolvers that are cheap and surprisingly good copies of S&W (hunt around for a Llama or Astra if you want a cheap revolver better than the crap going around for twice as much) , I'd never trust my life to anything less.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 08:03 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,926 Times in 1,718 Posts

If you are not experienced with a handgun, take a class (or two), which will enable you to become familiar with a variety of pistols and revolvers. You should not make a decision on what to buy until you have been trained at least to a basic level, such as the NRA Personal Defense in the Home class AND have put at least 1000 rounds down range, not less than 100 rounds from each specific model and caliber of gun you might consider.

Most ranges have a variety of guns available for rental. This is a start. Knowledgeable shooters you know may be willing to let you try theirs and to familiarize you with their operation. If unfamiliar with any particular gun, always some one-on-one coaching from a regular user. What paid instructors, guys behind the gunshop counter or self-described "experts" on the Internet say means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if you don't have at least basic familiarity with the specific gun to determine whether you shoot it well and can maintain it competently.

If you are a military veteran who qualified with a pistol, your prior experience will simplify things. But do not make your choice just from reading and talking. Make it based upon shooting, learning how to field strip, clean, reassemble and properly maintaining the gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:59 PM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,355 Times in 921 Posts

What my thoughts are on this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	necrothread.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	292774  
The Following User Says Thank You to DisgruntledPatriot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 10:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Pony up a few more bucks and get a Glock. I know, boring, but it's where its at.....
Then get training wheels for your bike and something Apple.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 PM
Wayfinder

Since you need to ask advice on such a basic question, you obviously know nothing about guns. Such people should always buy revolvers since they are the most forgiving of handguns. You will probably never clean the thing and will always buy the cheapest ammo you can find. Go for the revolver.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
If you are not experienced with a handgun, take a class (or two), which will enable you to become familiar with a variety of pistols and revolvers. You should not make a decision on what to buy until you have been trained at least to a basic level, such as the NRA Personal Defense in the Home class AND have put at least 1000 rounds down range, not less than 100 rounds from each specific model and caliber of gun you might consider.

Most ranges have a variety of guns available for rental. This is a start. Knowledgeable shooters you know may be willing to let you try theirs and to familiarize you with their operation. If unfamiliar with any particular gun, always some one-on-one coaching from a regular user. What paid instructors, guys behind the gunshop counter or self-described "experts" on the Internet say means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING if you don't have at least basic familiarity with the specific gun to determine whether you shoot it well and can maintain it competently.

If you are a military veteran who qualified with a pistol, your prior experience will simplify things. But do not make your choice just from reading and talking. Make it based upon shooting, learning how to field strip, clean, reassemble and properly maintaining the gun.
Your advice sounds great and it is in fact very accurate for people that already have some firearms culuture. But for real begginers that know nothing the idea of just going to the range, see what they like and take it from there can end up with some terrible choices. Ive seen people go with very crappy guns because they liked how it "fit" their hand, often it was just looks and esthetics that honestly they just liked or appeal to them in some way, maybe it was similar to some childhood tv series or cartoon, adn they went with that.
These people often have no idea which brands or models are reliable or have a poor track record, or what goes along best with their level of training for high stress situations. I know its not the same thing but if you need medication for a certain illness or need a part to repair something in your car, the mechanic or doctor doesnt just show you a bunch of boxes and tells you to pick the one you like the most, they give you something specific. I think this applies here as well. My wife for example, not a gun person, at all, and oviously she likes shooting a 22LR better than anything, but I also had her shoot my 357 magnum and she can hit several targets at 7 yards reasonably fast, so even if she likes the 22 best, since I know the difference of stopping power between 22lR and 357, I tell her to go with that for defense rather thant the 22 she likes best. Having said that, there plenty of women out there that go with a 22 for defense, "because they shoot it better and it doesnt hurt thier hand". They are thinking long plinking sessions and not 5 rounds shot in self defense.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,386 Times in 1,546 Posts

When we first made our GHBs to line by the door, we had this discussion. The kids were teens and pre-teens so strength levels varied widely. Skill levels did too, even though they had been raised in a gun and archery culture. Pistols were always understood to be for very personal protection. I carry a 9mm and my wife a 380, by preference, but our backups are 38 revolvers.That ended up as five 38 wheel guns along with two 9s, a 380 and a 22. And our long guns. 38 revolvers are outstanding for no skill shooters: cheap point and squeeze guns. Minimal training, literally minutes worth.

Your pistol should always be something you enjoy shooting because pistols require a regular amount of practice. Cheap ammo availability is also crucial. Your back-up needs to work every time under high stress and near panic at extremely close range. Found what I like. Works for me.

That’s the secret. Try many to find one. Have a revolver for your OMG moment, your backup gun.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,677 Times in 2,012 Posts

I have not read a lot of positive things on either pistol. If the weapon is not going to be fired, it does not mater much. If it is going to be shot and used for social work or hunting, I would opt to stash more cash and pick up a good 357 mag revolver. Say Smith, Ruger, or Colt. New or used. One should always invest their money wisely.
Old 10-12-2019, 10:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,217 Times in 2,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian View Post
Since you need to ask advice on such a basic question, you obviously know nothing about guns. Such people should always buy revolvers since they are the most forgiving of handguns. You will probably never clean the thing and will always buy the cheapest ammo you can find. Go for the revolver.
Type louder, I don't think he heard you from 2012
The Following User Says Thank You to Kalifornia Guy For This Useful Post: