Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Article - bug out stoves kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 09-13-2017 02:32 AM
Armytek 18650 headlamp review...for backpacking ROCK6 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 05-12-2017 06:32 PM
Coleman Max Stove Review AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-06-2017 07:30 PM
Coal stoker to wood stove Skeptical1 DIY - Do It Yourself 12 10-28-2016 02:19 AM
Review of the Coleman 533 dual fuel stove kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 05-20-2008 01:39 AM

Old 05-23-2017, 12:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,196 Times in 622 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedElk View Post
I have used a lot of camp stoves. All mentioned above, and all are very nice.

Recently I found these, and they are amazing for the money.

https://www.amazon.com/Gearupz-Cookw.../dp/B01LXZAXLV

I got mine for around $5.99 each, and they are cheaper when you order more. Make great Christmas prepper gifts, birthdays, weddings, you name it.

Hard to beat for the cost...

I have a couple of those, I have a Stanley nested mug thing, fits nicely inside it and boils it full pretty quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
I've given kudos to Bunkerbuster for that DIY grill on other threads. Well... I'm doing it again. After seeing his, I built a nearly identical one (mine has extra leg sections that thread onto connectors to raise height). Just an outstanding idea for car camping, fireplace cooking, backyard grill work, etc. It's my #1 solution for cooking over a wood fire place. Wife loves it.

When not needed, it can be slipped inside closet or kitchen cabinets to function as a really heavy duty shelf for pots, pans, and cast iron cookware. Or broken down for storage inside of a camp kitchen box.

And (obviously), you can slip just about any sized/fueled stove underneath it for a big cooking area.

Inexpensive, adaptable, super sturdy, easy to assemble, and easy to disassemble for storage.
Thanks for the kind words..................

I built that grate for vehicle camping & so it would fit as a cover lid on a sturdy milk crate. So, I could pack pots, pans, 533 Coleman's, silverware, oven mitt, small cutting board, etc in the milk crate & insert the grate over the top.

Milk crate flipped over serves as a seat.

Beside over various stoves, that grate has been used over campfire coals, with skillets, pots & Dutch ovens, etc.
Built like that, it will outlast me.

Have since built one for all our other BOL families.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,764 Posts

I have an early MSR multi fuel it's been a great stove and still have it.
That said, i picked up a couple of these Chinese made ones on ebay they work great at less than 1/3 the price to keep in the cars.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camp-Stove-P...QAAOSwvzRXyQ-d
Old 05-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,274 Times in 692 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wefly4u View Post
All you MSR fanatics may want to rethink your options. First night at winter camp, Wisperlite International fuel bottle was inadvertantly dropped about 3 feet onto hard surface with pump attached, Pump operating rod instantly snapped rendering the stove unuseable for the remainder of the trip. Fortunately had the old reliable SVEA as a backup, so from now on MSR with replacement pump will only be carried as an addittional stove, not my primary.
So you abused it and it broke?
Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 PM
Third World'er Lunatic

Thanked 34,347 Times in 11,462 Posts

bought this stove a couple of years ago at a flea market, pots are its container. its a civilian model Coleman #530 B-46 the civilian copy of the old military Coleman GI pocket stove. cooks like a dream, dual fuel, Coleman fuel or "White" gas have burned it on both. I installed a new leather washer on the pump , that's all it needed besides a tank of fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman stove 001.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	209497   Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman stove 002.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	209505   Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman stove 004.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	209513   Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman stove 007.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	209521   Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman stove 008.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	209529  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goblin X For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 AM
1, 2, 3 - HAM I am!!

Location: in a house...sometimes, someone's else house...other times, contracted house made of tarp or canvas

MSR for the world!

Has never let me down when using at the beach or at 14k feet up in a mountain.
The Following User Says Thank You to Propofol For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 03:23 PM

Verify the ban type. We've had bans here and there when out hiking that limit open fires but for us it's always generally worded that a DIY alcohol stove is out. A trangia as a manufactured stove was still ok.

That said I've also seen where I live where a particular park had an explicit wording that ALL alcohol systems were out. For that we got a mini BSR titanium gas canister stove. Basically a tiny pocket rocket. Weight in at 25 grams and goes on the usual canisters. Just a nozzle really so no parts to break except a gasket. Light with a match.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoldyFish For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,823 Times in 6,938 Posts

Yet another MSR Whisperlite fan since the '90's. Every decade or so, you might need to refresh the pump. Haven't had to replace it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harbinger1972 View Post
I have used this type stove for 20 years and its been great. Never had to do a rebuild. Its made by Optimus ...
I have that one, it was my dad's, it rode under the seat in his truck for decades, and now it's in mine. Heated many a can of soup or some MCI or C-rats, or boiled some water for a hot drink.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 11:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,790 Times in 3,503 Posts

whisperlight
The Following User Says Thank You to TMcArthur For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2017, 06:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,029 Times in 4,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
The point of the fire ban is generally to avoid accidents. A gas stove (or liquid fuel stove with a canister) can tip, and you can shut it off. If a Trangia tips over (i agree, very unlikely), it spills the liquid and that can cause tons of trouble.

I'm a big fan of alcohol stoves, i almost exclusively use one when hiking, but i can see why you wouldn't want to use it in a fire prone environment either. If you're safe you always clear the place where you have your fire (whether it's an actual fire, alcohol stove, gas stove) and make sure that any spillage wouldn't set anything on fire. Unfortunately you can't rely on people actually doing that, as evident by the amount of forest fires which start due to campfires or similar, so they forbid everything which can spill and go out of control.
I've camped in any number of areas with a fire ban and there never was a rule against liquid fuel stoves. I'd suggest checking the rules in the area the OP intends to camp first but more than likely it would be allowed.

Most fire bans are intended to eliminate sparks flying into adjacent areas and also smoldering coals that are left on the ground.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM

Default How I choose.

Which stove I use, what task I am doing, whats my goals. Boiling water for freeze dried, gourmet eggs? I use MSR white gas stoves if just boiling water and light kitchen work. I love my coleman 550 for 442 if simmering. If fast and light and general work. Cant beat a snowpeak canister stove gigapower. So many options.
Old 10-03-2019, 06:15 PM

Here is a fantastic simple dirt cheap and super easy to build alcohol stove design. I have built this design it works great I have also scaled it down into smaller cans with similar results. Works like a charm. You can also us this stove to burn charcoal and get an hour burn. You don't want to use a can any wider than say a standard soup can. Small bean cans work well as to small tomato juice cans which are tall and narrow work very well. Too narrow a can and you end up with a deep well for your alcohol and the flames will not vaporize the liquid well. I have had good results with small cans 3" tall by 2 5/8" wide if you want compact this is your stove I prefer it to pop tin gas stoves much more rigid and as I said you can scavenge an old camp fire and burn charcoal in it if you run out of liquid fuel.

The Following User Says Thank You to moray james For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 07:00 PM
BASS

Thanked 2,640 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettny View Post
The good old MSR wisperlite has always been good to me. Next to no maitence and its light. Yes theres newer and more fancy stoves out there but lets face it a stove is a controlled leak of gas with a pot stand and thats about all it takes to work.
MSR WhisperLite gets my vote. I wouldn't winter camp without it. It never failed me. Always test fire it days before going off on your trek. Always take the maintenance/jet cleaner kit with you.

When I winter backpacked with my buddy we both took a liquid fuel stove and extra fuel. In the winter in the NY mountains you never take chances.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:26 PM
Old Fart

Since you necro'd this thread ill post what stove i have been using of late. while i was using a MSR Whisperlite universal for a while i recently swapped to a Primus Omnilite TI Stove. It does basically everything the MSR stove does except it's a lot smaller, lighter, and works better with smaller titanium pots.

https://primus.us/products/omnilite-...29444434264147

The Following User Says Thank You to trinity93 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,056 Times in 933 Posts

This is the third old post for you to bring back so you can plug your YouTube video. Seriously this has to stop.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,269 Times in 513 Posts

Wow, ghost thread.

FWIW, what I ended up taking was a generic Chinese-made isobutane burner. I don't remember the manufacturer now, but this one appears to be very similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Backpacking-L...572043&sr=8-14

It now has +100 hours, easily, of use on it and it's going strong. I'm going out tomorrow on a three day trip and it's tucked into a pocket on my pack. It went on the long trip I took last summer @ 7500 feet -- intended to be 9 days, ended up being five because endless rain. I took it car camping with me last month rather than a big coleman stove, and I propped a cast iron pan over the top of it (supported the weight of the pan with some rocks) and it worked well. I've used it in freezing cold, pouring rain, and howling winds and never had it go out.

Is it the most fuel efficient or lightest stove? Nope. But it was cheap, gets the job done, and is "good enough" that I've never seen the need to replace it.

(Side note -- I really like that there's a hose. Makes for a much safer setup.)
Old 11-02-2019, 09:49 PM

I love my MSR. I also like the SVEA and my Optimus 8R. I always take the MSR Whisperlite Universal. The other stoves are just too LOUD and if you get the silence cap your adding more weight. I actually use my Universal with a Primis ergo pump.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:12 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 22,928 Times in 7,100 Posts

I like "Trangia" type alcohol stoves. With a twig burner as a pot stand.
Gives you the option of using the twig burner alone. If you run out of alcohol fuel.

Durable, compact, fuel efficient & put out a lot of heat

Good price ($10) & USA stock.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Ca...53.m2749.l2649

Best readily available fuel is "HEET" in the yellow container.
Burns clean & no black soot

Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 AM

Lots of good options.

For ultralight backpacking I use a MSR PocketRocket with a Toaks titanium pot. Stove, pot & isopro fuel can weigh less than 2 lbs.

For car camping I use a old school Coleman stove if there's a fire ban in effect.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,684 Times in 785 Posts

Coleman Apex II. I have a few.