Gaining/losing weight with bpv - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 10-10-2019, 03:18 AM
Hiker

Default Gaining/losing weight with bpv

Advertise Here

I understand that changes in weight can be fatal for the bullet proof vest you own. Is there a fudge factor? I also guess that losing weight does not have to be so terrible - can you wear more clothes underneath? It may not be so comfortable
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2019, 03:34 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,125 Times in 3,376 Posts

It depends on the vest, how it fits in the first place, how much weight is lost/gained, and how that weight loss/gain is distributed.

Contact the manufacturer or the place you got it from.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:01 AM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,009 Times in 3,629 Posts

Most vests are adjustable, so unless you are doing gastric bypass and dropping a hundred pounds you should be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2019, 07:27 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,509 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengyou View Post
I understand that changes in weight can be fatal for the bullet proof vest you own. Is there a fudge factor? I also guess that losing weight does not have to be so terrible - can you wear more clothes underneath? It may not be so comfortable
ARE YOU talking about backface deformation and impact damage that would be more severe with weighing less not more?

It really isn't that critical, if you are a beanpole, maybe yes but if you have normal height weight specs then not a problem.

I used to work for Second Chance back in the 80s and 90s as a field tester and odd job things that required certain skills. Anyway, I used to get prototype vests and go wear them on the street for 3-6 months then go back to the factory and give a report, and they would examine the vest, rip it apart see how things were going..

anyway, they had more cops shot than all the other vests combined at the time..(and YES, Rich Davis is crazy but in a good way.) and they never had anyone get fatally injured because they were too thin when they got shot. One guy from Texas took a 12ga slug to the ribs, and he was about 5'8" and looked like he would blow away in a stiff wind. He got a broken rib out of it along with a very interesting scar where the vest sort of ground away part of his skin on impact, but he still was able to continue the fight. The perp eventually blew himself up in his own house.

I tested one vest that was so light even I had my doubts so I went to the lab shed and tried to punch holes in it myself. No penetration but the backface deformation in the clay was impressive. SO, I hit the street with it in summer and IT WAS WONDERFUL. It was like wearing a Tshirt. No heat build up, Forgot about what it would feel like if I got stupid. At 6'1" 225 I wasn't that concerned. So after a long hot summer I went back to the factory and they took the vest back and said they weren't going to put it into production. Just too much impact possibilities for harm. But it sure was nice.

SO, I wouldn't worry about weight loss unless you are skin on a frame. A lot of the backface issue also has to do with how stiff the vest is. If you can barely fold it a couple of times it will have a lot less impact than one you can crush into a ball.