Choices and a question... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 10-02-2019, 10:42 PM
Hiker

Default Choices and a question...

Advertise Here

So, i have X amount of dollars to spend. There are 2 seperate ways i can spend it. I am curious on your opinions. The first is a nice go bag, water bladder and battery pack for a portable radio. The other option is a 2 cycle engine kit for my bicycle. The cheap chinese kits that do what they are intended. The bike i could also use to ride to work (8 miles away) as well as have an emergency transportation. The go bag and stuff, i would have a nice set up in my car in case of an emergency. Which way would you guys go and why?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CPLSeraphim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,030 Times in 4,515 Posts

I'd opt for the bag and water blader. The bike motor is limited to better weather.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franklin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 12:55 PM
Hiker

The more i thought about it, i have been thinking that too. Living in the north east, winter would be a bad time for that bike kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Agree on the bag and water bladder. A motor for a bike would be nice, but the others have more use IMO. That, or go for Molle panels in the car to secure an existing pack and add more storage.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,996 Times in 19,129 Posts

Neither.

Platypus bags are cheap, you can even use old wine bags or soda bottles.
Thrift stores are overflowing g with decent to good backpacks cheap, and get rechargeable AA'S for the radio and a small folding solar pannel.

Bike: use your legs, save the money or use it on something like a first aid kit where quality mattets.

It's not about "stuff"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 04:16 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,304 Times in 8,921 Posts

I looked at those bike kits at a bike shop. They said consider it a hobby as you will always be dinking with it.

I have a few MSR dromedary bags. I bought one of those solar/crank/usb/flashlight radio chargers for about $30 Running Snail

Save for a real E-bike Rad Power's Rad Wagon is on my list.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/produc...ric-cargo-bike
Old 10-03-2019, 07:29 PM

Thanked 1,424 Times in 671 Posts

My opinion, get the bike kit, but be prepared to be very patient with it, and possibly to have to get tips from beyond the manual. Apart from the many good reviews, there are a sizeable amount of bad reviews from people who had trouble building those things.

The bike will make you more of an apex guy. Also, when things start to get scarce, it should be easier / cheaper to get ahold of the bag, bladder, and battery pack, or suitable replacements, than to get the bike kit. Seems to me.

Just consider the supply that exists right now, for one thing. My guess is that there are many, many more GHBs, bladders or bladder bags, and battery packs around than bike kits. All it perhaps takes for the bike kits to get super-scarce is for one of the biggest nations to start to get very tense about their gasoline supply. The other stuff, on the other hand--- you could probably find many of them on shelves in your local area, instead of even having to order them online.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:38 PM

Thanked 1,424 Times in 671 Posts

I'm interested in the bike kit myself--- hoping it won't be a disappointment, but I've got other preps on the front burner for now.

Already have a GHB. Kind of was just a fun project to get to work on, also the get-home situation just captures the imagination a lot.

The motorized bike is about more than just the get-home situation (I didn't want one for that, anyway).

During normal times, most people in the USA do not have to walk considerable distances. Instead, whether they do or not depends on whether they enjoy it or not.

Take those same people who have a whole range of opinions about walking--- most of them hate it, actually--- and put them in SHTF / TEOW. How do you think people with that kind of 21st century American relationship to walking will fare then?

When it's TEOW, the question will suddenly be about necessity, not about whether you like walking. A 3-hour walk through a hellscape may stand between you and getting grandmommy's medicine. And when people don't have an alternative like the motorized bike, some people actually will end up deciding that some of those important trips aren't important enough, or just aren't plausible enough. They'll be surviving worse because they don't have the bike.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,126 Times in 1,008 Posts

Work is 8 miles away? How often are you already cycling to work? A bike kit would increase speed but how much would that improve time to work?

Go to work by bike till the weather gets bad. Start again in better weather. How much will you save going by bike? How long until you could buy a bike kit with that savings? Get a backpack and see how you handle that on a non-bike kit bike. You don't like it, get another type/size/style. Everyone is different.

Go for a FAK and a red cross course now.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:39 PM
Hiker

Decent FAK is put together. Still working on classes. My job is not very forgiving on training that is at work time. The bike kit is out for now. I went for the pack and bladder, omitted the battery. I have enough solar and battery kits at the house for the QRP QCX radio. I added a wool blanket, since we do not have one yet.

I appreciate the tips. I do not ride my bike to work do to the highway. PA drivers suck half the time, especially on the back roads. I know it is not about stuff, but it is certain stuff I still need. I have bags, but this one will always be in my car. My work boots are not the best for walking in the woods. Instead, the boots I have for that are relatively water-proof from the days in the oil field.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,316 Times in 979 Posts

Bag, etc.

Bike kit, even if it works great, will still have limitations of all kinds. The already mentioned, weather, the need to power it, the fact that it will be loud. It will weigh you down a bit more when it's not engaged and you just need to pedal.

With the bag, you of course still have the bike. So you get the best of both worlds. Also, you said you have X amount of dollars to spend. That seems to imply, "right now, you happen to have X allocated to preps." But... since you live in the northeast, might it be the case that 6 months from now, (that is after winter when the kit may be limited anyway), you'd be able to afford that by next Spring?
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottPreps For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 04:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,742 Posts

Ditto,there are a couple two-stroke bikes and a skateboard near me,literally can hear them coming a mile away if thats a concern,go electric.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:33 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,077 Times in 945 Posts

I agree. Bag first. Those little bike units are very load. You definitely could hear them a mile away on a quiet day. I would say 3/4 the decibels of a chainsaw with a worse muffler.