New one on me. AR - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 09-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,910 Times in 1,199 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
Tagging this to see how it ends.
Hopefully not with a news article.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,888 Times in 5,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalifornia Guy View Post
Tagging this to see how it ends.
Me too

just because there is a firing pin in the charging handle doesn't necessarily mean that it is from the BCG. It could have been dropped down the barrel or tossed into the chamber by someone. It wouldn't be the first time that someone sabotaged something at a large sale.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:14 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
Me too

just because there is a firing pin in the charging handle doesn't necessarily mean that it is from the BCG. It could have been dropped down the barrel or tossed into the chamber by someone. It wouldn't be the first time that someone sabotaged something at a large sale.

So with bolt locked into the barrel extension someone dropped a firing pin through the muzzle and and it wiggled its way around the bolt, bolt carrier and into the charging handle?

or someone tossed it into the chamber which is blocked by the BCG

those pesky mercury firing pins are a P.I.T.A. they get themselves into the darnedest places.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

The firing pin dropped out this the cam lock up in turned.... thus the bolt will not release you get the joy of shaking the rifle till the cam turns.. releasing the bcg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to recklessdriver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 11:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 58,781 Times in 19,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Just leave it at that and move on. Just think of the level this guy is on buying a loaded gun and never checking it to be cleared. Or even function testing it or even breaking it open to inspect it.

Ignore is the best thing this dude can do for you, they wouldn't listen to you anyway and only spout off on how wrong you are until another person their level made up some fantasy fix to have them work the rifle over.
You've never bought a collection before have you?

I bought $15k worth of guns and ammo (not counting the accessories) for $6k. And the guy was HAPPY and HE set the prices because of how much less he was going to get at the local gun store.

So when he's saying $500 for the M1A, $450 for the tanker M1, $300 for the commemorative winchester, yea, I'm not going to blink over the $350 AR with surefire and aimpoint...
It could of been broken in half and I'd of paid it because after that I got .45Acp and .223 for $0.05 per. (Before you complain about me ripping him off on all but a couple things I paid asking price.)
The .308 (mostly Radway Green) Cost me $0.20 per.

We would agree, my paid help would bag or box it up and put it in the truck and we would be opening the next case or can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
The firing pin dropped out this the cam lock up in turned.... thus the bolt will not release
Thats exactly it. I can see it's the actual firing pin, and the entire bolt carrier is in the upper.

I'm running a serious sleep deficit (Monday night I was juicingpears till 1:30 AM) and didn't even think about the obvious 'drop a rod down the barrel dumbass'
But I have 55 gal (and counting) of pear juice.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 12:32 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,864 Times in 6,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
But I have 55 gal (and counting) of pear juice.
Holy crap! I have to admit I like the idea...pears suck, IMHO, so this is a great way to utilize the resource.

But what on earth does one do with that much pear juice? Make jelly? Mix it with other juices? Make syrup, or some sort of more potent home brewed beverage of some type?
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 01:26 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Holy crap! I have to admit I like the idea...pears suck, IMHO, so this is a great way to utilize the resource.

But what on earth does one do with that much pear juice? Make jelly? Mix it with other juices? Make syrup, or some sort of more potent home brewed beverage of some type?
When I say "I"... Half belongs to a buddy with whom I conspire for many things. But we aren't done.

I plan to can 20 gal, and drink it weekly for the next year.

He is going to make wine with 15 gal.

I will probably try sake with 5.

No doubt some will go for jelly.

Most of the rest we are/have given away (gave away 7 gal today.)

I have access to a walk in fridge it's all in, this gives us plenty of time.
(Still have probably 30 gal to juice, then 11 buckets (5 gal per) of apples.

we are refining our skills, at the beginning were only getting a little over 1 gal per 5 gal bucket.

Add in a finer strainer cloth and run the pears through an electric sausage grinder vs the mounted manual chopper before the press and it's not only easier, but our yield exceeds 2 gal of juice per 5 gal bucket.

I have to sterilize jars as we are out of carboys and other glass jars.

Eta: most of these are "sand pears" or cooking pears. Not pears you would enjoy eating... And the juice is SO MUCH BETTER than apple.juice.

Asian pear juice is even MORE amazing.

But be warned: it's RUINED me for that crap water with a few drops of juice in it they sell at the store as juice.

I've used my steam juicers in the past.... This wins hands down.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
So with bolt locked into the barrel extension someone dropped a firing pin through the muzzle and and it wiggled its way around the bolt, bolt carrier and into the charging handle?

or someone tossed it into the chamber which is blocked by the BCG

those pesky mercury firing pins are a P.I.T.A. they get themselves into the darnedest places.
lock bolt back, drop in firing pin, (paper clip, other skinny object) release bolt,
or
drop pin down barrel, pull back bolt.

Stranger things have happened.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 05:43 AM

So did you pull off the buffer tube and separate the lower from the upper or is that what you mean when you say that you broke it down shotgun style?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:49 AM
Prepared

Quote:
lock bolt back, drop in firing pin, (paper clip, other skinny object) release bolt,
or
drop pin down barrel, pull back bolt.

Stranger things have happened.
locking the bolt back and dropping a firing pin into the charging handle will prevent the bolt from even going fwd into the barrel extension in the 1st place.

dropping something down the barrel and pulling the bolt back also pull Ch handle back thus preventing anything form depositing in the charging handle.

I will agree strange things do happen but I dont see either of those being feasible.

but as stated seems as if either the FP retainer was missing, FP fell out and cam pin lodged itself in the receiver.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 273andme View Post
locking the bolt back and dropping a firing pin into the charging handle will prevent the bolt from even going fwd into the barrel extension in the 1st place.

dropping something down the barrel and pulling the bolt back also pull Ch handle back thus preventing anything form depositing in the charging handle.

I will agree strange things do happen but I dont see either of those being feasible.

but as stated seems as if either the FP retainer was missing, FP fell out and cam pin lodged itself in the receiver.
I'm liking the missing firing pin retainer thought. I have had a buffer retainer break while shooting. That's a real pain.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:23 AM
Prepared

Quote:
I'm liking the missing firing pin retainer thought. I have had a buffer retainer break while shooting. That's a real pain.
I cracked a bolt carrier in half, getmech suppressed bolt carrier to be exact, back in april they still havent sent me a replacement. they said they would refund my money if I had the over 1 year old receipt. lol
The Following User Says Thank You to 273andme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 09:58 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I'm liking the missing firing pin retainer thought. .
That, it broken, or going in in front of the firing pin and not holding it in is obviously the issue.

It's rotating the bolt in the carrier so that it can be retracted that's the question.

Honestly I took the upper and carried it out to the garage after I started the thread, and it'll probably be next week before I pick it up again.

I have boxes ofscopes, mags, gun parts, cases, holsters, Palladan press type books to sort, and all manner of crap sitting around my bedroom now that I need to 'clean up' (sort what I'm keeping and what I'm selling) before I get back to it.

Don't you hate it when you've been dragging yourself out of bed early every morning, so you set aside a recovery day where you plan on sleeping till noon.... And then you wake up before 8!?!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 03:37 PM
Survivor

Been turning it, shaking it, tapping the forward assist etc when I walk by it in the garage.

Today (as I have done several times before) I grabbed the charging handle and the handguard and tapped the butt on the stairs... (standard way of clearing a jam since the POS design doesn't have a REAL bolt handle) And the bolt retracted.

Broke it down and as suspected its missing the firing pin retaining pin.

Colt 1/7 barrel, Bushmaster upper

...now where did I put that firing pin....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2019, 03:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,864 Times in 6,951 Posts

Awesome. That was easy!