Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Home Made Wood Burning Camp Stove fortknox0 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 35 10-06-2019 08:28 PM
Mountain Ranger MKII: DIY Wood Burning Camp Stove KarlOS DIY - Do It Yourself 41 06-30-2016 01:20 PM
Wood cook stove vs wood heating stove DREESEPAC Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 29 02-26-2016 05:51 PM
DIY Bio Bricks for a Wood Burning Camp Stove KarlOS DIY - Do It Yourself 13 12-03-2014 08:10 PM
cheap, quick DIY camp stove (from stove pipe) Schneb DIY - Do It Yourself 1 12-09-2013 04:04 AM
Emberlit Stainless Steel Wood & Charcoal Burning Camp Stove theberkeyguy For Sale 4 05-07-2013 08:01 AM
Emberlit Camp Wood Stove Redneck Survivalist Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 91 08-18-2012 10:30 AM
Help with Wood Stove/Fireplace Insert Mix - Hearth-Mount Stove snowpeasandcarrots Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 12-05-2011 07:21 PM
Interesting wood/gas camp stove Lastboyscout Reviews and questions 2 07-08-2010 05:53 PM

Old 01-15-2015, 08:12 AM

Advertise Here

ClassiCut, KarlOS,

Ok y'all, I'm kinda getting confused here, so I'll describe the situation to the best of my ability. However at this point, my conclusion is the issue is either me, or the local supplies available to me. Either way, if we get nowhere after this discussion, I'll just wish everyone best of luck, move on, and continue with my alcohol stoves.....

Let me start with a simple question, then I'll go into the dissertation:
If you put your assembled stove on a completely flat surface, does it rock a little? In other words, does the assembeld stove rest ONLY on the lid?

Picture this:
A)
If I take an ordinary paint can - for instance, while painting, and want to stop for a short period of time, say a break for lunch or even for a few hours, I can press the lid into place on the paint can by hand. I can usually get the lid on evenly all the way around, and I can use a paint can "key" to pry the lid off, which pops off fairly easy, but I could also pry it up with my fingers but it is rather hard to do and is much easier with the key. In this situation, the paint can lid protrudes ABOVE the top of the paint can (slightly). NOW, with the lid in place as I just described, imagine if you turned the can upside down and place it on a completely flat surface - the can will rest on the LID, and the rim/edge of the paint can WILL NOT touch the flat surface.

B)
Now if I'm finished painting and need to store the unused paint for an indefinite period of time, I place the lid on the can and tap it all the way into the top of the paint can, completely seating it into the paint can top "ring". I usually use a rubber mallet or a piece of wood and hammer to do this. The lid will seat tight and FLAT with the very top of the can - I can only remove the lid by prying with a paint lid key (cannot remove by hand). In this situation the lid is even with the entire top of the can - if I turned the can upside down and placed on a flat surface, the edge of the can WILL touch the flat surface.

I have summized that for the Ace, HD, & Lowes cans I purchased, the only way to achieve the "1/4 inch gap" is to apply the lid as I described in "A)" above. This IS NOT what I did for my build - I applied the lid as described in "B)", which causes the soup can to sit higher in the stove assembly.

Therefore, if the lid is applied as described in "A)", the stove assembly will rest on the lid and probabaly should rock a little, to the limit of the paint can edge. This is also why I inquired about the "shadow under the edge of the stove bottom in Post #250. Is this the intended way to build the stove?

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2015, 09:49 AM

Privateer,

Man I'm so sorry for your confusion and I can see how hard you have been working to figure this out. To be honest I started building the MkII of KarlOS and only built this one as a reference to compare the two. I have forgotten much about it and had to run to the basement to have a look at it.

Apparently I must have lightly installed the lid after everything was in pieces and never used a hammer. The paint can is just a base and held in place with the screw in the bottom. I can't speak for KarlOS..... But here is a shot of my bottom! Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421332936086.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	94805   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1421332971952.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	94806  
Old 01-15-2015, 09:54 AM

If you want to see the one that I have enjoyed the most...... Roll over to the Bushcraft forum. It is based on this stove and the MkII but taken one size smaller.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=
Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 PM

Classicut!! Now we're getting somewhere!!

Take a look at your pic, if you were to place a straight edge along the blue line, would the straight edge touch the red lines (paint can edge)? Looks like it wouldn't!!!

Take a look at my pic, when I place a straight edge on along the blue line, it touches ALL red lines (lid and can edges).

Therefore, my error in building was I hammered the lid into the paint can ring too far!! This places the soup can too high in the stove assembly and restricts (or in my case eliminates) the air flow needed by the 1/4" gap!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 1.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	94812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic 2.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	94813  
The Following User Says Thank You to Privateer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2015, 12:34 PM

Yes! I don't remember the building process......but try to lightly place the paint lid on. Really it is just a stand and held in with a screw so the hammer probably just hurt you here.

That said I can't remember where you live but I am in SE TN and I found I never got this thing to work perfectly for me. Keep at it and see how it works. I found with my Pumpkin can stove that half the air holes then my calculations worked hotter and easier for me here. It's cold here and I have switched to inside hobbies but it is addicting! Lol
Old 01-15-2015, 01:04 PM

Excellent!

I'll try this for the next new build and post results. I've heard about the altitude issues so it'll be good to compare notes about that too (im at sea-level) - once i get it running regularly which it should now.

If I understood correctly, the screw just holds the soup can to the paint can lid - it doesn't secure the lid to the paint can, that's just a "friction-fit" right?
Old 01-15-2015, 01:08 PM

Start with a light fit..... It can be pressed in later if you want.

Yes sea level....... I am at 800. I think Karl is at 7000 ASL. Don't get hung up here...... Try another one or two and see how they work. Please give mine a shot too...... I also have video of it in action and it works great in the damp, soggy South
The Following User Says Thank You to ClassiCut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Yesterday I acquired a Lowes quart paint can, some step drills from HF, an OXO safety can opener and had Progresso Corn Chowder soup for lunch. Will be acquiring the 12oz tuna today. Little bit of cleanup yet to do on holes drilled and fabricate concentrator holes. It appears, to me anyway, that this particular Lowes paint can will allow the soup can to seat properly. Time will tell. Feedback welcome.

Thanks Karlos for the design, available download and videos!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by GT_Sharp; 04-12-2015 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: To post photos
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GT_Sharp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 01:52 PM

Sorry! Couldn't get photos to post.
Will try again later.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT_Sharp View Post
Yesterday I acquired a Lowes quart paint can, some step drills from HF, an OXO safety can opener and had Progresso Corn Chowder soup for lunch. Will be acquiring the 12oz tuna today. Little bit of cleanup yet to do on holes drilled and fabricate concentrator holes. It appears, to me anyway, that this particular Lowes paint can will allow the soup can to seat properly. Time will tell. Feedback welcome.
Nice work my friend! Can't wait to see it in action. Is that a CnC table the stove is sitting on? If so, I'm jealous! I've wanted to build a good CnC machine for years, but just can't seem to scrape up enough cash (or time) to make it.

k.
The Following User Says Thank You to KarlOS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM

Here's an update:

You guys RULE! I haven't been here for awhile now because you've been keeping me very busy. Since I published the plans, I've received many purchase requests. Many more than I expected, actually. I'm wondering if the Mountain Ranger is too hard to make and it's just easier to buy one (or more)?. You tell me.

I've also been asked (repeatedly) about a website. O.k., you win. It's funny, really. I used to build websites for a living, and the very last thing I wanted to do was spend the better part of 6 months hand coding another website. (Yes, I hand code everything). That said, you asked for it, so I'll forego some sleep to make it happen. I'm currently coding the basic framework. Hopefully that will be done in about a week. Once that's finished, I'll start writing the content for the pages. I won't publish the website until I have a minimum of 30 pages - so, please, be patient.

Here is a short list of the sections I will put on the website:

1. Overview. This section describes various stoves, where they came from and how they work. (Yes, I have more stove designs than what you've seen!) Can you say Mountain Ranger 2.0?

2. Homemade/DIY. Here you will have access to download the plans, read the step-by-step instructions online, and watch DIY videos.

3. Fuels. This section will show you how to burn alcohol, wood, hexamine, trioxane, wood pellets, and more in your Ranger Stove. I've almost perfected bio-briquettes that work amazingly well, but I'm going to save that information for the website.

4. Tips and Tricks. This section will contain information about my stoves that I haven't released yet.

5. Cooking. I'll leave it up to you to figure this one out on your own...

6. Stove Gear. Set-ups and accessories that make your Ranger Stove better. Here's a teaser: Ranger oven/smoker/bbq...

7. Emergency/Survival. You need a stove in your emergency/survival gear. Bug in or bug out you need a source of heat, a way to purify water and a way to cook food. This is the primary reason why I shoot almost all of my videos in the woods and not in the back yard.

8. Videos. I have a lot of raw video that needs editing, and I'll be shooting more in the next couple of months and over the summer. I'll also put YOUR videos here.

9. Mail Bag. I get comments, questions, requests, suggestions, complaints, rants and whines all the time. Unlike others who want to show you only the good things people say about their stoves, I'll publish the good, the bad and the ugly (I hope you're not shy .

and more...

The first 30+ pages are already planned. I've tried to cover all the bases, but I'd like to know what YOU want.

With that, I'll return to building more stoves and the website.

Again, if you have any questions, need help, etc... let me know.

k.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KarlOS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2015, 12:47 AM
Prepared

Bump, and HELL Yeah!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:04 PM
Wheee. What a predicament

Any update on this Karlos?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to castroyyy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2015, 02:25 AM
Prepared

How is your website going so far KarlOS?
The Following User Says Thank You to Gnepig For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Any updates on a website for the Mountain Ranger Stove?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TLyleJeep For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 PM

One thing you all need to remember is that this type of stove makes and burns CO (carbon monoxide), some of the CO doesn't burn so don't use it inside!
Old 06-30-2016, 01:42 PM

Can't wait to get the plans for this!
Old 05-27-2017, 02:11 AM

Absolutely amazing stove, seems like even I could build this one.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:40 AM
Prepared

Bump for a cool build...
Old 10-03-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnepig View Post
Bump for a cool build...
yes it is but it has been about 4 or 5 years and counting since Karlos last posted here. I have not been able to find any current post from Karlos or Ranger Stoves since 2015. I fear that the OP may have passed away.