Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,371 Times in 1,844 Posts
Default BCM upper receiver groups?

Advertise Here

Anyone here has experience with buying a BCM upper receiver group? Reviews? I've seen posters here recommend a BCM upper with a Palmetto State Armory lower as a solid and reliable combo. Right now, I'm more interested in the possibility of purchasing an upper by BCM.... I'd use it with a factory Ruger lower receiver.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2019, 09:55 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freethinkin'Man View Post
Anyone here has experience with buying a BCM upper receiver group? Reviews? I've seen posters here recommend a BCM upper with a Palmetto State Armory lower as a solid and reliable combo. Right now, I'm more interested in the possibility of purchasing an upper by BCM.... I'd use it with a factory Ruger lower receiver.
BCM is right there at the entry level of good to go AR. These would be above RUGER,Remington, STAG and DPMS...most consider them to be in the same league as a 6920, but not Daniel Defense/Larue good.

I have seen several come through high round count carbine classes. They come mil spec.and staked properly and have a good reputation in the AR community.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 06:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,927 Times in 4,208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armtx77 View Post
BCM is right there at the entry level of good to go AR.
Price-wise, BCM is considered mid-tier, but fully agree that their quality and reputation are pretty much a solid entry level for a serious-use rifle. Not knocking the less expensive rifles, but BCM's QA/QC and performance when pushed into hard use and high-round count has proven very reliable.

I would actually recommend BCM over Daniel Defense, only because the reliability (in my testing) is no different, and for the price, it's a better value. Ironically, my go-to is a Daniel Defense, but if choosing from scratch, I wouldn't hesitate to go with BCM over DD.

ROCK6
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2019, 06:56 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,496 Times in 1,366 Posts

BCM makes excellent rifles for their price-point (if you shop smart, and are patient, you can get a complete rifle for under 1k). I have owned/own Colt, BCM, DD, Larue, KAC, Archer, SOLGW, and LMT. I would absolutely choose BCM over everything on that list, except SOLGW and KAC. I'd say SOLGW is on-par with BCM, at the same price-point, while KAC makes a better rifle at a much higher price-point.

I love my Larue as a precision rifle. I would not buy one as a high roundcount, hard-use rifle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:29 AM

I have a BCM 14.5" mid-length upper on a S&W M&P lower and it's been flawless for about 15K of mixed .223/5.56 - I don't think that PSA can touch it for QC/QA but I guess it all depends on your intended use...

blake
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blake g49 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 11:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,371 Times in 1,844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
BCM makes excellent rifles for their price-point (if you shop smart, and are patient, you can get a complete rifle for under 1k). I have owned/own Colt, BCM, DD, Larue, KAC, Archer, SOLGW, and LMT. I would absolutely choose BCM over everything on that list, except SOLGW and KAC. I'd say SOLGW is on-par with BCM, at the same price-point, while KAC makes a better rifle at a much higher price-point.

I love my Larue as a precision rifle. I would not buy one as a high roundcount, hard-use rifle.
Thanks. If you've owned all those, then you know our rifles for sure!

I also like what you wrote about patience and shopping smart. I am waiting for Black Friday time to see what deals, if any, will be available for BCM products. As I wrote, there's an 18" upper receiver group I'd love to have. If that goes on sale, I may well make the investment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freethinkin'Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 01:54 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Thanks. If you've owned all those, then you know our rifles for sure!

I also like what you wrote about patience and shopping smart. I am waiting for Black Friday time to see what deals, if any, will be available for BCM products. As I wrote, there's an 18" upper receiver group I'd love to have. If that goes on sale, I may well make the investment.
gandrtactical.com usually has good sales around Black Friday. BCM's version of a "blem" confuses me, because as many as I have bought, I have never been able to find the blemish. Paul Buffoni (the owner) has said they are cosmetic, and can be as simple as the finish being a shade off from spec (which again, I have never noticed). If G and R (or anyone else) has the blems in stock, I highly recommend jumping on them. I've built complete BCM rifles for right at $750 before, by buying blems, and waiting for Black Friday.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Disturbed70 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,866 Posts

Quote:
I have a BCM 14.5 Upper on a Spikes lower w/DD LPK & a H2 Buffer, In any critical situation that might occur I'd pick the BCM for it, I also have DPMS, Del-ton and PSA uppers on Spikes and S&W lowers which work real well.

They've all have been trouble free and have not had any problems firing factory ammo and reloads, the BCM is my favorite because of the 14.5 barrel and MB length which just seems to be well balanced when compared to the 16'' + Muzzle brake AR's I have.
BCM machining looks better than the PSA, DPMS & Del-ton, shooting all four there isn't a difference as to function but the BCM seems smoother.

All BS aside you'd be happy with your combo.

Here's a few articles if you haven't seen these:
http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t...ine-filthy-14/

https://gunnewsdaily.com/best-ar-15-for-the-money/
Old 09-24-2019, 08:01 PM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,320 Times in 402 Posts

Good quality but way over priced these days.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:32 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
Good quality but way over priced these days.
Been awhile since I have been in the market. I have two 6720's that I paid 800 a piece for and a 6920 I paid 750 for.

If a BCM is quality, but overpriced. What are you looking at price wise? Im not knocking ya, just curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 10:00 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Been awhile since I have been in the market. I have two 6720's that I paid 800 a piece for and a 6920 I paid 750 for.

If a BCM is quality, but overpriced. What are you looking at price wise? Im not knocking ya, just curious.
This I'd be extremely interested in knowing what is good quality but reasonable. And how many BCMs he has compared these other rifles to.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbed70 View Post
Quote:

This I'd be extremely interested in knowing what is good quality but reasonable. And how many BCMs he has compared these other rifles to.
I do two carbine classes a year, about 8 days worth of shooting and anywhere between 1000-1500 rounds between the two classes. I have done this every year since 2011.
I have seen BCM's come through all of those classes and they ran well. Just as good as my Colts at roughly the same price point. The BCM QA/QC is very good and was pointed out up thread.

Im genuinely curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Armtx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2019, 02:28 PM
Low speed , High drag

Thanked 1,320 Times in 402 Posts

Quote:

I paid about half of what they are going for today same parts but the price has doubled in just a few years. Popularity has stuck with some brands.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 PM
In Peace as in War

About 10-12 years ago I bought a blem BCM lower with the old rollmark. I added a BCM/Larue Tactical mid-length upper and it is the most accurate AR I own.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:22 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
Price-wise, BCM is considered mid-tier, but fully agree that their quality and reputation are pretty much a solid entry level for a serious-use rifle. Not knocking the less expensive rifles, but BCM's QA/QC and performance when pushed into hard use and high-round count has proven very reliable.

I would actually recommend BCM over Daniel Defense, only because the reliability (in my testing) is no different, and for the price, it's a better value. Ironically, my go-to is a Daniel Defense, but if choosing from scratch, I wouldn't hesitate to go with BCM over DD.

ROCK6
Agreed, BCM is the point where the law of diminishing returns starts to kick in when regarding AR receiver quality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vodka Wizard For This Useful Post: