Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 09-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,509 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
The real question should be can you survive the SMOD.

You can survive anything. Just depends on how you're able and willing to invest to accomplish it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 01:14 PM
I wasn't the Executioner

Thanked 1,117 Times in 331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
That's why I don't even keep cereal at home. How do I know I'm going to wake up in the morning? No one knows what's going to happen. I might pop an aneurysm in my sleep. What the **** is the point of worrying about breakfast?
Just be sure to go to sleep with one foot uncovered for your pets to find and snack on until someone rescues them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 04:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,833 Times in 6,941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Survivalist View Post
But the next week or so I watched a documentary by the U.S. G.S. and they study that continually and that was not a movie.
So maybe you should have talked about that, instead of a movie that is SO not a "realistic" anything.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:51 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,442 Times in 1,158 Posts

AN INTERESTING ponder...
as with real estate, everything is about location location location.

as in where YOU will be when it blows. You could be living just outside Yellowstone but if you are vacationing in Alaska, you will probably survive the event.

conversely, If you live in Maine, and are visiting Yellowstone when it blows, you will probably not survive the event.

SO...

does anyone take such things as volcanoes, earthquakes, sink holes, etc into consideration while on vacation, or are the odds so high you don't even let it enter into consideration?
Old 09-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,349 Times in 392 Posts

Lots of variables to surviving the Yellowstone supervolcano. One, wind patterns at the time of the explosion. Two, the level of eruption. Three, distance from the caldera. Most of the documentaries I've watched on TV on the subject tend to emphasize the worst case scenario, but what if it only erupts half of that potential? I'm not sure many would survive the worst case eruption in the US because the loss of growing seasons for years in the midwest would essentially destroy everyone's food supply with the exception of the west coast agricultural areas and even they would be adversely effected by the ash in the atmosphere. I'm in sw Colorado and even at this distance (about 750 miles) the worst case scenario has us buried under 1-2 feet of ash. Unlike snow, the damn stuff doesn't melt and you have to put it somewhere.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 27,983 Times in 7,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardinColorado View Post
Lots of variables to surviving the Yellowstone supervolcano. One, wind patterns at the time of the explosion. Two, the level of eruption. Three, distance from the caldera. Most of the documentaries I've watched on TV on the subject tend to emphasize the worst case scenario, but what if it only erupts half of that potential? I'm not sure many would survive the worst case eruption in the US because the loss of growing seasons for years in the midwest would essentially destroy everyone's food supply with the exception of the west coast agricultural areas and even they would be adversely effected by the ash in the atmosphere. I'm in sw Colorado and even at this distance (about 750 miles) the worst case scenario has us buried under 1-2 feet of ash. Unlike snow, the damn stuff doesn't melt and you have to put it somewhere.
There is no evidence of mass extinctions or die offs, or the loss of years of growing seasons on a US wide scale with any previous eruptions. Yellowstone has exceptionally clean low sulfur magma like Hawaii and other mid-continent hot spots.

The ash also washes away with rain. It will devistate river ecosystems, but the land outside the connecting states will clear off in a reasonable amount of time.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,349 Times in 392 Posts

The problem is that we have no experience with VEI 8 eruptions in human history so all of us are offering conjectures about what it might do to the US in particular and to the globe as a whole. Here is a site that catalogs history’s greatest eruptions. It gives some pause.

https://www.livescience.com/30507-vo...t-history.html
The Following User Says Thank You to RichardinColorado For This Useful Post: