Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2019, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 464 Posts
Default Walther P22q

Advertise Here

Ok I don’t have a 22 LR Pistol. And I want one. I’m very much leaning to a Ruger mark 4. And I will most likely buy a mark 4 at some point.

BUT I see the Walther P22q in sale CHEAP. Less than 200 some places.
And I love my PPS m2. It’s a great little gun. Having a 22lr with the same feel ( although a different manual of arms ) would be nice for practice.

So I’m wondering anybody have any experience with the walther in 22lr?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 05:21 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,147 Times in 8,881 Posts

Several youtube vids on them. I have a bull barrel mark ii, its ok, was a gift Does not shoot near as good as my High Standard HD military or my model 63 S&W.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,704 Times in 1,484 Posts

I liked the feel of the p22 and almost picked one up when I was looking for a .22 pistol. After a bit of research and handling as many different guns as I could (and staying within a set budget) I ended up going with the PPQ22 version.

The PPQ22 just had the best ergos for my hand, and felt the best made over the p22 (and a few other makes). I had heard of some slide breakage as well with the p22.

The PPQ22 is not perfect however, I think it has some ****ty sights to be blunt, and aftermarket support is not the best.

Another strong contender for me was the M&P22, and in hindsight I probably would have went that direction if I could go back.

I have had zero issues with the PPQ22, and for what role the gun plays, I'm sure the P22 would have been every bit as good. Maybe even better being a smaller gun.

I'd consider any potential upgrades you may want, price of additional mags, ect. when making your choice.

I'm sure I'd have been happy with the p22, it was a nice feeling gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,199 Posts

I have a p22, based on mine I would not recommend one unless occasional jamming is something you do not mind. Accuracy is so so and you need a guide rod tool to reassemble after cleaning.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuriss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,095 Times in 464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriss View Post
I have a p22, based on mine I would not recommend one unless occasional jamming is something you do not mind. Accuracy is so so and you need a guide rod tool to reassemble after cleaning.
Wasn’t the assembly problem fixed with the new P22q ? Or does it work the same way ?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:11 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 4,909 Times in 1,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
Wasnít the assembly problem fixed with the new P22q ? Or does it work the same way ?
I do not know. I will say that the main issue I have is the failure to feed. I think it is caused by a small lip between the feed ramp and barrel. The rounds get hung up from time to time and will bend. Reracking the slid will clear it but it still sucks.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:17 AM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 18,842 Times in 5,001 Posts

Don't know about the q model, I've had a Walther P22 for more than 10yrs and the thing has been 100% reliable with several different brands of ammo.

Video of my daughter shooting it below

Old 09-19-2019, 02:23 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuteandfuzzybunnies View Post
So Iím wondering anybody have any experience with the walther in 22lr?
Bought a P22 for the sons when they were young to help them learn. Very good choice for me at the time. They put a metric boatload of rounds downrange for very little dollars in ammo.

Actually like all the safety features on them as well. Very easy for me to stand back while they were shooting and be able to see if the safety was engaged or not or if they had dropped the mag (making it safe).

Other than the occasional bad round never had any issues. Wish the magazines were cheaper but that is about my only grief with them.

Bought ours with the Walther laser included and like it as well. Not so much for anything related to the bullets hitting where the dot was because they usually do not but... It taught / helped the kids learn how to steady their aim so the dot was not bouncing all over the paper. Remember one day with the kids at a local indoor shooting range - Lady in lane next to us has some sort of pistol mounted laser and the dot was going everywhere. Kids asked if we could move to other end of range to get away from her. LOL!

Under 200 bucks sounds to me like an awesome deal if the gun is in half decent condition.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,847 Times in 6,946 Posts

The Walther P22 I got to play with a few years back was great.

But the Ruger SR22 is probably better, and in the same shape and size as the Walther, at regular prices, IMHO, it's a better deal.

But for $200 or less (a price I have never seen) I'd be willing to take a shot at the Walther.

Or split the difference and get a S&W Victory for $300. I like mine, VERY good pistol, and more accurate than the more expensive Ruger Mk IV Standard that I have. I got it at dealer cost, or I wouldn't have it. Adding even more money for a Mk IV Target model makes no sense to me.