Help with my fire escape kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 09-10-2019, 07:25 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 13,353 Times in 4,315 Posts

Advertise Here

Those are actually what we have issued for my deparment. But while I have mine cliped on my turnouts right now I almost never use it because on fires I never have and free and its almost useless just on my chest. What I really end up using is my personal a Black Diamond headlamp
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 PM

I'd recommend keeping spare clothes in your car. They'll be survive the varying Temps. I live I'm the midwest and always keep atleast one spare set of clothes in my car. Especially during winter. Also I'd put a few hundred dollars in cash in your bag. Also if you have any family members or trusted friends in the area. I'd say let them hold on to a spare key to your car. Just in case you forget to grab them on the way out. Now me personally for this kinda bag. I wouldn't worry too much on a med pouch. As seeing if your apt catches fire and you have to evacuate. the fire dept is on its way and the have first aid kits. I'd also say get a fire safe. That way you could keep safe your orginal important doc copies in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truckersurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 01:58 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,320 Times in 8,796 Posts

Just to make me happy, toss in a small pistol of some sort along with some ammo. I'm not talking about going out on a combat patrol or anything. Just enough ammo and pistol for close range, personal defense in a bad situation to keep people off of you. Something like a .45 acp, .40 cal or 9 millimeter and 5 loaded magazines at the ready. Of course you'll also need a holster of some kind for whatever handgun you decide to concealed carry or shoulder holster rig of some kind. To top off the ammo and pistol idea, also carry one full box of ammo.

As for the pistol, I would suggest a S&W Shield, a Ruger LC9 or one of the Springfield Armory XDS pistols. For really small and compact I would go with the Ruger LC9 in 9 mm size ammo. Everything about that pistol is small but good and effective. The others are a little bit larger but they would still work for an emergency situation too.

You have to understand that your home fire bag can easily turn into an area survival bag if something hits hard in your neighborhood. Imagine being in a California wildfire kind of situation where you live. Now not only is your apartment in danger but so is the whole neighborhood. In the area where you live there are bound to be some unscrupulous people who would attack you for whatever you have in your bag. That means you really ought to be ready to defend your family and your bag at the drop of a hat. Hence my suggestion of having a decent pistol with your kit.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
What I really end up using is my personal a Black Diamond headlamp
Damn, I'd have thought you'd need something brighter. Since you said go high powered I figured like 1000-2000 lumens. I guess I'll be okay then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckersurvivor View Post
I'd recommend keeping spare clothes in your car. They'll be survive the varying Temps. I live I'm the midwest and always keep atleast one spare set of clothes in my car. [snip] I wouldn't worry too much on a med pouch. As seeing if your apt catches fire and you have to evacuate. the fire dept is on its way and the have first aid kits. I'd also say get a fire safe. That way you could keep safe your orginal important doc copies in there.
Clothes is a good idea and I should've had those in there anyway. A spare pair of pants can be handy. The first aid kit is more for things I need which they might not have, antacids, lozenges, etc. I guess that would mean I could really cut down my med kit and could definitely just use what's in my car. I should stick some antacids and cold meds in there anyway. Thanks for the help.
Oh and if my building ever burns down they'll just trash everything and I'd never get my fire safe back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herd Sniper View Post
Just to make me happy, toss in a small pistol of some sort along with some ammo.
Where I am right now I can't do that.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:02 PM
Abnormality biased.

Quote:
Damn, I'd have thought you'd need something brighter. Since you said go high powered I figured like 1000-2000 lumens. I guess I'll be okay then.
Oh, something brighter would be great, I just can't get the FD to buy me one so end up with EDC headlamp because its what I have.

What I should have said is to get the highest quality headlamp you can afford.

There are a lot of 1000 lumen headlamps on amazon for $20 but they are mostly easily broken junk. I have a box full of broken cheap amazon headlamps in my quest to find one that holds up.

A professional quality 1000 lumen lamp is going to run several hundred dollars.

For instance, I would love to have Petzle Duo S, thats a 1000lm light...but its $450

Even a black diamond Icon, is $100 and only 500 lumens...and quite a handful for EDC.

If you can afford a good 1000lm flashlight, by all means go with that. Buts its better to have a GOOD 300lm than a crappy 1000lm.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:26 PM
Mule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Oh, something brighter would be great, I just can't get the FD to buy me one so end up with EDC headlamp because its what I have.

What I should have said is to get the highest quality headlamp you can afford.

There are a lot of 1000 lumen headlamps on amazon for $20 but they are mostly easily broken junk. I have a box full of broken cheap amazon headlamps in my quest to find one that holds up.

A professional quality 1000 lumen lamp is going to run several hundred dollars.

For instance, I would love to have Petzle Duo S, thats a 1000lm light...but its $450

Even a black diamond Icon, is $100 and only 500 lumens...and quite a handful for EDC.

If you can afford a good 1000lm flashlight, by all means go with that. Buts its better to have a GOOD 300lm than a crappy 1000lm.
If you look outside of the name brands like Petzl there are some good headlamps running on 18650 cells if you have a charger to handle them. These seem to be pretty well liked, I just hate how complex the controls are, but if all I want is to use maximum brightness it has a memory function.

https://www.amazon.com/Armytek-Wizar...ustomerReviews
Old 09-18-2019, 10:53 PM
Abnormality biased.

I've tried many of the no name headlamps....they always seem to break on me after a few months no matter how well reviewed they are. I take the straps off them and reuse them on my good headlamps when the elastic wears out.

The lights themselves never fail, its always the plastic parts that mount the light to the straps, thats where the real difference seems to be between brands.

Which is too bad, I've had some cheap 18650 lights that I really liked but they never lasted.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:40 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

I have FR clothing and a state of the art gas mask.