Steel and Other NON-Brass Cased ammo...... Your Experience?? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-12-2019, 06:29 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,183 Times in 4,918 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
We got the top of the top tier shooters gracing these forums. They reload steel and aluminum cases. Iím sure after they chime in youíll never buy brass cased ammo again.
You're the only top tier shooter on this forum, you've told us as much at least 1428 times.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
I tried it once in one of my AR's, shot alright, but I reload brass. In a SHTF World, I would use it if that was what was available.
Yeah, it doable, it's ok in a pinch.
I do have some steel bagged up.
I highly doubt I'll ever need to reload it in quantity but only those unwilling to learn and try something out for the sake of education would scoff at reloading steel.
*Cough* DB *Cough*

Today I found some of that brass plated steel cased .308 casings while shooting the PA10 pistol, my buddy took it and says he's going t try reloading it, I'm guessing it'll be easier to work?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,833 Times in 4,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Putnam View Post
Yeah, it doable, it's ok in a pinch.
I do have some steel bagged up.
I highly doubt I'll ever need to reload it in quantity but only those unwilling to learn and try something out for the sake of education would scoff at reloading steel.
*Cough* DB *Cough*

Today I found some of that brass plated steel cased .308 casings while shooting the PA10 pistol, my buddy took it and says he's going t try reloading it, I'm guessing it'll be easier to work?
DB isnt here to "educate", unless learning about dealing with mentally challenged children is the lesson.
The Following User Says Thank You to AK103K For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
LOL. Amateur!

Maybe if you worked on your reading comprehension and listened, more than babbling BS at us all the time, you might actually learn something.

Yea right, what was I thinking.
I comprehended it. I even read it. What's most amazing is you got a terrabyte of screen shots and saved posts on what I've said in the past but you can't even back up what you've posted about in the past. This is your time to shine son. Spread that steel case reloading wisdom!

You have a chance to contribute information that not a single other person here has experience with and your thumping your chest and drooling about babbling bs.

Just tell everyone how you've done it and what your results were. Or is your brain so hard wired to telling tall tales and fantasies that you can't make a single post on what you do in real life?
Old 09-13-2019, 04:09 PM
Hiker

I reload nickel and brass only. When you two get tired of your p!ss!ng match, can one of you tell me about reloading steel? I always throw it away and now feel a bit foolish for not checking to see if it was berdan or boxer primed first. basically I pick up everything at the range and sort later.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:26 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutter View Post
I reload nickel and brass only. When you two get tired of your p!ss!ng match, can one of you tell me about reloading steel? I always throw it away and now feel a bit foolish for not checking to see if it was berdan or boxer primed first. basically I pick up everything at the range and sort later.
Whatís to tell?
If itís boxer you reload it like brass.
Itís a little tougher to size maybe but thatís the only real difference.
Use plenty of case lube, use carbide if loading handgun rounds and use case lube even with carbide.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 04:32 PM
Hiker

thanks. The increased difficulty in resizing steel was my biggest question. Or if it didn't expand as much as brass maybe it would actually be easier. does steel seem to get more or fewer reloads without trimming or cracks?
I've always heard that aluminum doesn't last as many times reloading as brass so stayed away from it as well.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:41 PM
Survivor

Quote:
thanks. The increased difficulty in resizing steel was my biggest question. Or if it didn't expand as much as brass maybe it would actually be easier. does steel seem to get more or fewer reloads without trimming or cracks?
I've always heard that aluminum doesn't last as many times reloading as brass so stayed away from it as well.
Iíve only tried it for the experience of doing it.
To see if it could really be done and such.
I donít make a practice of it.

Iíve read some guys claiming five loadings on rifle and a couple more on handgun.
I havenít really done enough to give any sort of answer based on personal experience.

As for sizing, one of the o-ring type single stage presses is what my buddy uses.
He reloads everything, because heís cheap.
Even Berdan primed stuff that he knocks out the primers with water and a rod.
He also does something with drilling out the Berdan primers and using the outside as a sort of sleeve to fit boxer primers in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Israel Putnam For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 05:20 PM
Come and Take Them!

Thanked 7,323 Times in 2,114 Posts

Quote:
'Nickel' is brass with a nickel plating over it. The major reloading manuals say not to reload steel. I have reloaded 45ACP aluminum cases quite successfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to alv7722 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 08:40 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,003 Times in 493 Posts

The few times I buy ammo its usually brass. But there have been several times I got a screaming deal on steel cased ammo. Never had an issue with either type.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:53 AM

Now, what to do with the casings?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2019, 09:24 PM

I dont mess with aluminum or steel cased stuff anymore....why? Because it is less reliable than brass PERIOD
Im not saying to not shoot it or reload, but I personally dont. I dont want the outside chance that it will take down a weapon.

I have seen Glocks,HK'S,1911's choke on the stuff and it is almost always a FTE...physics is why.

With that said, I shot THOUSANDS of rounds of Chech made AK ammo and it is steel cased and never had a bad round. I dont own an AK, so I dont bother.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:09 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,060 Times in 2,597 Posts

`

I've been reorganizing a bunch of stuff & just found 2 boxes of Tula for 40cal & about 70 rounds of Wolf steel case 55gr FMJ stuff. I'm guessing the 30 odd missing rounds were from testing it to see if it fed OK. I've never shot the Tula, no plans to do it any time soon. I still have a bunch Blazer aluminum ammo for my 40 to shoot at the indoor range since I can't retrieve much if any of the brass there. The aluminum isn't going to be as hard on parts as much as steel, & I only shoot it at the indoor range so I'm not too worried about it.