Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2019, 04:53 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611 View Post
I took my best elk with an '06 shooting a 165 Barnes TSX. The '06 has been gittin' 'er done with basic cup and core bullets for a long time and with modern bullets it's better than ever.

But a few years ago I bought a Mannlicher rifle I wanted that just happened to be in .270 Winchester. I bought the rifle for the nice wood, not the caliber. But the caliber grew on me and the more I use it the more I like it. I was once reluctant about that caliber but I've become a fan through use. I took me second best elk with it shooting a 130 Nosler partition.

I know the .280 is a good performer but I just can't get on board with it. It doesn't offer much over the .270 and the .270 has been around longer and is a classic. If you like 7mm bullets I can understand 7 mag, 7x57, and 7-08. But not the .280.
I built a 280 Ackley Improved. It'll nip at the heels of 7mm RM without the recoil and muzzle blast of the Magnum.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2019, 07:46 PM

I think that the better question is why not?

It's always good to have a rifle in as many calibers as possible. You never know when you will run across a good find as far as ammunition goes.
Quick reply to this message