Scout Rifle. Another historical Mauser bites the dust... - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-30-2019, 11:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,864 Times in 6,951 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyusmaximus View Post
You misunderstand freedom boy...
And you abused it, son...

Quote:
I can see you guys will never get it.

And we can see you won’t, either.

Yes, I could have bought a scout rifle, but then it wouldn't have been Unkie's rifle.

Silly. It’s not “unkies” rifle anymore. You destroyed that rifle.

I, we, this family, could give two ****s about the rifle, or person who Unkie got it from in Italy... Just that he survived the war, and came home to us. Hell, I only got to know him for the last 14 or 15 years of his life. NOW the rifle will have some meaning. Now it's not just something to look at on the wall, but to use in the woods, and in doing so Unkie will walk with whoever is carrying it. THAT is the value, not dollars.

This will never be sold, so don't worry yourself that it's only worth a couple hundred now.
Sounds like you really could give two ****s about “Unkie”, to me.

If “Unkie” is walking with anyone, he’s probably griping about them screwing with the gun he brought back, not being able to hunt with an iron sighted Mauser like a real man, and telling you to grow up and quit calling him “Unkie”.

The rifle will have meaning. But not the meaning it used to have.

But hey. It’s yours. You enjoy the crap out of it, and quit worrying about what everyone thinks of your silly gun and your silly attempt to get some social media cred for standing up to the old guys and telling them how the real world works.

I mean, we don’t know the man....maybe “Unkie”s name is really Bubba, and he’d have been the one asking you to hold his beer while he got the hacksaw going.

Have a nice day now, y’all just run on along...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 07:55 AM
Retired Army

Thanked 16,038 Times in 3,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
And you abused it, son...

Sounds like you really could give two ****s about “Unkie”, to me.

If “Unkie” is walking with anyone, he’s probably griping about them screwing with the gun he brought back, not being able to hunt with an iron sighted Mauser like a real man,

Attacking my manliness... nice move. OK, I'll bite. Using a scout scope is not being a real man? Would you have the balls to tell that to Col Jeff Cooper? Don't bother replying to that, because we all know it would be a lie.

and telling you to grow up and quit calling him “Unkie”.

When my FIL first introduced me to his uncle, the man had just turned 80. I was told "We call him "Unkie". He had been my FIL's favorite uncle from childhood. So no, I won't stop referring to him as "Unkie". That's the nick-name this family calls him.

The rifle will have meaning. But not the meaning it used to have.

But hey. It’s yours. You enjoy the crap out of it, and quit worrying about what everyone thinks of your silly gun and your silly attempt to get some social media cred for standing up to the old guys and telling them how the real world works.

I mean, we don’t know the man....maybe “Unkie”s name is really Bubba, and he’d have been the one asking you to hold his beer while he got the hacksaw going.

OK, you may have me on this one... From what I knew of him, and the stories I've heard, Unkie was a bit of a bubba. An Indiana farm boy drafted to serve, lived through it, then came home to keep on raising hell. And he did til the day he died. He would even give the VA nurses a run for their money... Probably lucky he didn't hacksaw it before it got to me...

Have a nice day now, y’all just run on along...

By the way, I didn't even use iron sights for my last two deployments... I used an EoTech. "Un-manly" of me.
The Following User Says Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,196 Times in 7,780 Posts

The title of the thread tells the story. You took a relatively rare item of historical value, and ruined it by making it a common item. Not much left of the bring back remaining.

If he wanted the rifle sporterized he'd have done himself. Clearly he brought it back and kept it in original condition not thinking someone would chop it up.

Really really dumb.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,194 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
The scout rifle (as envisioned by Col Jeff Cooper) is a somewhat dated concept that a lot of people don't seem to subscribe to these days. In fact, it was always kind of a niche rifle. Be that as it may, I always found it intriguing, and wanted to have one. I never have... until now. Back story first.. then scroll down to the photo...

My father-in-law had an uncle who served in Italy during WWII. He came home with (of all things) a Brazilian Mauser in 7x57. It's been in my wife's family ever sense. Several years back (before "Unkie" passed) he gave the rifle to my FIL. It hadn't been fired in probably 30 or 40 years. I married my wife 24 years ago, and even when we were dating it had never been fired. Just a story to be told. Anyway, my FIL put it on a rack on the wall, and there it sat (covered in dust) till this spring. Same story. The stock is uncomfortable, can't see with the sights... I finally talked him into taking it out on one of our range days, and after shooting it once, he gave it to me. (with the caveat that it become his grandson's one day)

Now I know what a lot of you are thinking... WHAT? This guy just took a war bring back, numbers matching Mauser, and butchered it into a scout rifle? I think the term "Bubba" is floating around in some heads... Well, yes... Yes I did. History aside, it does nobody any good hanging on a wall for decades, not getting used. Hell, Unkie had it in the corner of his closet... Now I can use it. One day, my son will use it, and he will know that his grandpa's uncle brought it back from WWII. THAT, ladies, and gentlemen, is history. It's probably what happened to most of the bring backs, so if you are a serious collector, yours is now worth more. You're welcome. Besides, by mounting the scout scope, (and not a traditional scope) I can still see the Brazilian crest on the receiver ring...

The 29" barrel was cut to 20'. This will now allow it to fit in my gun cabinet. The Surefire Warcomp (matching my ARs) will allow for suppressor use, and possibly tame the already soft 7x57 recoil.

I ordered a Vortex Crossfire II 2-7x32 Scout Scope for it. This, I really have mixed feelings about, and all I've done so far is walk around with it in the woods on my property. At 2 power, boom, it's right there. At 3 or even 4, it's all good, but at anything higher you have to start stretching your neck out to get closer to the scope. It's practically unusable at 7 power unless you're a giraffe. Now I understand If I'm taking a distant shot, I'll be taking my time anyway, no snap shot here, but it's damn uncomfortable, and may go back. Maybe a Leupold. Also thinking about just going red dot. I love red dots... The mount is simply a left over section of picatinny rail bolted to the rear sight base that's been milled flat.

The original plan was just have the scope mount sticking out through the top wood, but I saw that Hogue stock... The Hogue stock speaks for itself... so comfy. Had to have it. I may also spring for the XS scout scope mount in the future now that I went with the Hogue stock, as the modified original sight base kinda looks clunky, but it does work...

The straight bolt handle was fine. Just got the bent bolt because the Hogue stock had a cut out for one, and would look weird with the straight bolt, but it works real well. I move my hand just the smallest bit, and the handle is right there. Good call Mr. Gunsmith. I had him spray it with clear Krylon so it would kinda match the receiver as the original did. The receivers were left in the white with the rest getting blued. There is some pitting on the front ring right along the stock line (after 100+ years) but overall, it's in very good shape. At least the bore is good.

Still undecided on sights yet. Waiting on more money, and looking for a rear peep that won't interfere with stripper clip feeding.

Im not gonna cry and moan over spilled milk. Whats done is done. I wouldnt have done it.......but it isnt my rifle.

More interested in what you have now and have a few questions regarding this specific rifle........

Total weight as pictured? Dry weight as well as loaded weight?

Total weight with can ?

Overall length as pictured and with can?

Balance point without can?

No sling?

Mechanical accuracy with the load or loads you are using?

Any plans to modify the stock so that you can carry a cleaning kit inside it?

More details in your thoughts regarding iron sights. Are you looking at a simple set to provide for BUIS, or something more ? Will they be usable with the can?

Any plans for a different optic since you mentioned that 7x was useless? Something that weighs less perhaps?

11B
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Retired Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
Im not gonna cry and moan over spilled milk. Whats done is done. I wouldnt have done it.......but it isnt my rifle.

More interested in what you have now and have a few questions regarding this specific rifle........

Total weight as pictured? Dry weight as well as loaded weight?

Total weight with can ?

Overall length as pictured and with can?

Balance point without can?

No sling?

Mechanical accuracy with the load or loads you are using?

Any plans to modify the stock so that you can carry a cleaning kit inside it?

More details in your thoughts regarding iron sights. Are you looking at a simple set to provide for BUIS, or something more ? Will they be usable with the can?

Any plans for a different optic since you mentioned that 7x was useless? Something that weighs less perhaps?

11B
The project is not finished. I'm living on VA disability so I'l have to wait on funds to finish. I'm leaning towards the XS sights. A couple guys on other forums have assured me they fit well and will not get in the way of stripper clip feeding.

I do not know (nor do they) if they will be tall enough to work with a can or not. Probably won't know til I try, but they are the "back up" sights, so not a problem.

I'm planing for the use of the can, but it is another of the things I don't yet have... again with the limited funds...

I do have a sling for it, but not the one I'd like, so I didn't put it on for the photo.

The original plan was to scope the original rifle, but I saw the Hogue stock that I know to be so comfortable to shoot, and changed plans. I may even change to the XS scout base.

The Vortex is going back, in favor of a Burris. It's a bit more, but according to all reports has better eye relief, and is lighter to boot.

No scale in the house, but even with the scope it seems to be no heavier than with the wood stock. Probably too heavy by Col Cooper's standards, but not too heavy for me to hump as I'm a big guy even if I am half cripple.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,667 Times in 2,007 Posts

I picked up parts mausers over the years. Some complete, some very incomplete. Still have some nice ones intact. Several of the more rough ones have been sporterized. I like a good shooting mauser. I pulled the barrels off two this summer which were more of a sewer pipe than a barrel. I will rebarrel and head space them this winter. 308 or 8mm. Mausers make great rifles. Now if the rifle has matching numbers and is in good shooting condition it is a shame to destroy it. Best to sell it and purchase a new sporting rifle. Won't be as good as the mauser but will be cheaper in the long run.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Retired Army

The Vortex scout scope I selected turned out to be not to my liking... at all. The eye relief changed quite a bit when you zoomed in to anything above 4 power. It got sent back today. I'll probably go either Leupold or Burris. Midway send me a prepaid return shipping label, so that was cool. Win some, lose some, but the project will get done before too long... I put one of my red dots on it for now, just in case I get to the range before I get the scope replaced.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daddyusmaximus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 06:36 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,687 Posts

Your rifle your rules. Enjoy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 0002S For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 11:38 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,147 Times in 5,161 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
The Vortex scout scope I selected turned out to be not to my liking... at all. The eye relief changed quite a bit when you zoomed in to anything above 4 power. It got sent back today. I'll probably go either Leupold or Burris. Midway send me a prepaid return shipping label, so that was cool. Win some, lose some, but the project will get done before too long... I put one of my red dots on it for now, just in case I get to the range before I get the scope replaced.
I've used the Burris LER 2 3/4x it's good glass and i like the scout conversion.