General purpose AR optic - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bushnell Offers New AR Optics gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 07-17-2017 01:13 PM
The 2017 Read The Bible In A Year Thread maintenanceguy Religious Discussion 174 07-05-2017 06:34 PM
Colt LE6920 Question and General AR Thread Israfel Military Weapons Forum 48 11-24-2016 11:06 AM

Old 02-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,896 Times in 4,198 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknova View Post
I haven't read the whole thread, responding only to the OP. You mentioned "inside 25 meters," which to me means that magnification would be counterproductive. Based on that, I will suggest three red dots that I have experience with. This does not mean these are the best. I do not own every red dot, but, I can vouch for and describe these.
Yeah, OP wanted something inside 25 meters AND out to 4-500 meters. A tall order for 1x RDO's and for those with aging eyes, even more so. A fixed power or variable power is what I think he was getting at and there's a whole slew of 1/1.x-4,5, 6, 8 LPVO's on the market that will fit those requirements. Everything is a compromise though and budget plays a big part.

I do recall routinely hitting the 300 meter "pop up" targets for qualification prior to Afghanistan (first tour) when we switched from Aimpoints to EOTech's. Once dialed in, it was just fine, but it wasn't precision. It really depends on what you want to rifle to do; I'm at the stage where I like some magnification and planning to try the close-range BAC with ACOG again to see how I do.

ROCK6
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 08:00 PM
Is that all?

Thanks for the replies all, I went with the Leupold VX-R Patrol. Overall seemed to have the best blend of weight, low and mid magnification, and a firedot for the price. I'm sure there are better optics out there, but this one seemed to work the best for my budget.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK15-T View Post
Thanks for the replies all, I went with the Leupold VX-R Patrol. Overall seemed to have the best blend of weight, low and mid magnification, and a firedot for the price. I'm sure there are better optics out there, but this one seemed to work the best for my budget.
That's what I decided on for my POF Revolution .308, and haven't been disappointed at all (using the LaRue C.A.N. QD SPR mount). It's been a while since I've picked up a new Leupold and they are still making solid scopes. Their best value over other comparable optics is simply their lighter weight which is a big factor for me. I will likely pick up their VX6 1-6x in the future, but for now, I've very comfortable out to about 400 meters with the power all the way out to 4x; I just haven't been able to stretch further yet.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2019, 02:58 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
I just ordered an ATACR f1 1-8.
I considered that one too but didn't like the reticle options and bought the Nightforce NX8 with the illuminated minute of angle reticle. It is also a front focal plane scope.

Just a fyi? I also bought the unimount for it and the Nightforce scope mounting kit as they guarantee if you use their mount and torque wrench, you can remave the scope and reinstall it with their wrench and it will return to zero.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:15 PM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,179 Posts

I bought what fit my eyes the best. I looked at everything too. US optics, Elcan, IOR Valdada, Leupold, Sig Sauer, Schmitt and Bender, Swarovski, they were all nice. I nearly bought the Trijicon but the added bonus of a guaranteed, and I've proven it with my rifle, return to zero sold me on the Nightforce.

I looked carefully at most of the less expensive stuff too.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:42 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 18,783 Times in 6,175 Posts

Well my dedicated predator rifle, an old Windham AR is topped with a Nikon p 223 3x9x40.

It's pretty use specific, not exactly sure it's what you want but I love Nikon glass.

No complaints.
Old 08-31-2019, 03:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I just wish the weight of the variable optics would drop some (without losing reliability). Leupold makes some that come in around 10-12 oz, but adding even a Aero Precision Ultralight mount (3.5 oz) or a top quality QD mount like the Bobro (7.5 oz), you're adding almost an extra pound. As much as I love my Vortex Razor, the "HD" stands for "Heavy Damn" optic (over 20 oz)!

I've been trying to find the right optic for my POF Revolution in .308, and I think I'm going to go back to ACOG; the TA11. I would like something more than 3.5x, but I know that will still get me on silhouette out to 500 meters, yet still give me a very viable QCB optic if needed. Better yet, the whole package with integrated mount is only 14 oz.

Is there a lighter low power variable optic that will hold up like the ACOG (or even Leupold) and weighs under a pound with mount?

ROCK6
I have several Leupold VX hog 1-4×20 mm scopes that have proven to hold up ( as good as any optic can), and it weighs in right at 8 ounces. ( Picked up my first back when they were initially released) Plenty of eye relief, excellent glass, and compact. Not to had a dent in the wallet for one either.

Note:The VX freedom one has a very similar model ( duplex/ rimfire moa/ tri moa/ pig plex/ AR reticles. ( It is a 1.5x and not a 1x however.)

Note: No eliminated reticles but you didn't mention the need for one on this specific rifle. If your looking for Lightweight/ compact/ reliable, then this optic should be considered imo.

Still haven't managed to break the first one as yet. ( Mounted on various rifles from 22lr to 50bmg as well as a 12ga shotgun and M240B at work.)

The below pic shows the hog scope when new... This one ended up on the M14S/ ARMS 18 mount in last pic via QD rings. ( My POF pictured below with gen1 split rail arms 18 mount at around 7 ounces if memory serves. )

Note: POF is abbreviation for Personally Owned Firearm. Not a POF revolution in this case.

Reticles holdover coincides well with the rifle's 18.5 inch bbl / 168gr TTSX. Fast and easy to use up close via multiple moving targets and works as well on out past 500 yards if zeroed correctly. Rifle weighs out at 8.5 lbs with mount, sling, and empty 20rd mag. OAL = about 39 inches. Loaded 20rd M14 magus weigh in at 1.5 lbs each with M80. ( A tad lighter using M80A1 at work)

Edit: Didn't read every post here yet....... VXR patrol is 11.5 ounces and 1.25x unless Im mistaken. If the plan is to keep as much weight off your pof project as possible but still have decent glass/ reliable optic...... the VX freedom 1.5x4x20mm scope = 9.6 ounces. Weaver has or had a 1x3x20mm scope at 8.5 ounces. Have one but haven't put it thru near what I have put the Leupold thru.

Unfortunate, but they dropped the 8 ounce hog scope.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_175622.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	291182   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180129_175526.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	291184   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_100909.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	291186  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 03:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I'm not working around any Marines, but there are a few LPVOs on some of the SOF and Infantry guys here (either as DMR or SPR). I don't think you'll find many in the business discounting the ruggedness of some of the higher end optics that aren't ACOGs.

Simply different choices and slightly different applications. I do think the fixed power magnification ACOG is better suited to the typical trigger puller. LPVO's offer a lot more versatility that most would likely take advantage off. Options are good, but skill-level, preferences, and requirements drive those choices.

ROCK6
Can't speak for the Marines but this Army puke grunt agrees with your point above.

With that said, I have seen a fair share of M150 series optics go to crap under field conditions. Same with the M68 and Eotech RDS.

From my experience , the most forgiving optic we ever had in terms of durability was the M145 series. ( ELCAN)

On a side note, iron sights should always be present on any rifle/ carbine with actual intent to be utilized in sustained combat for any future theater possible on the planet earth......and too include DMRs and machine guns .

Not an argument over which one is better, more useful, or reliable here. My argument is to have both. ( Not much of a scope snob unless said scope can " see in the dark)

Note: We do train with iron sights as well as optics ( My BN at least...lol)
Example in pics below taken on Sep 14th of this year via recent FTX.....
( My issued M4A1 leaning up again one Amy Squad's M249 light machine guns.)

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_104158.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	291188   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_104427.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	291190   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190815_104515.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	291192  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:22 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post

Note: No illuminated reticles but you didn't mention the need for one on this specific rifle. If your looking for Lightweight/ compact/ reliable, then this optic should be considered imo.

11B
One thing that has impressed me about the Patrol is the illuminated dot. Along with the outer ring (not illuminated), it's very much like an EOTech reticle (which I really prefer). Even with the 1.25x (not a true 1x), it's every bit as fast as any RDS/Holo sight I run. I've done a few short range drills, and (despite the heavier rifle), the VXR Patrol does extremely well inside of 50 meters on rapid acquisition drills. I'm a wuss and can't keep the rifle on target for extended periods, so going from low ready to dot-on-target, it does extremely well; better yet, it's daylight bright for me. The only downside of course is that the battery life is no Aimpoint, but you can't have everything (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post

On a side note, iron sights should always be present on any rifle/ carbine with actual intent to be utilized in sustained combat for any future theater possible on the planet earth......and too include DMRs and machine guns .

Not an argument over which one is better, more useful, or reliable here. My argument is to have both. ( Not much of a scope snob unless said scope can " see in the dark)

11B
Fully agreed. Any rifle meant for serious social engagements, especially inside 300 meters, iron sights are mandatory for anything I own. While nothing (especially electronics) are foolproof, to include BUIS, this is one area where redundancy is a good rule of thumb. As much as I give credit to optics in how they can increase hit probability, speed up your target acquisition times, etc., I still practice regularly with iron sights.

ROCK6
Old 09-01-2019, 09:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,065 Times in 725 Posts

I've been super happy with the SWFA SS 1-6.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,055 Times in 4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
I considered that one too but didn't like the reticle options and bought the Nightforce NX8 with the illuminated minute of angle reticle. It is also a front focal plane scope.

Just a fyi? I also bought the unimount for it and the Nightforce scope mounting kit as they guarantee if you use their mount and torque wrench, you can remave the scope and reinstall it with their wrench and it will return to zero.
I actually cancelled my ATACR order and snagged a LE/MIL NX8 order. Why? Footprint. The eyebox wasn't as big a deal to me as the footpring, weight, and so forth.

I have T&E'ed the NF Unimount and yes, it does indeed RTZ when using consistant torque. I tested in 2-65 in-lb, and shot a group like that. Several shots at each torque value, 5# increments. Group was about 2moa high, 3.5moa across. Normal group for that rifle was around 1.5moa circular.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:33 PM
Near The Glow

Thanked 1,673 Times in 550 Posts

My choice is the 4x ACOG TA31 with the amber chevron. So far it's been everything I'm looking for in a close to mid range optic. The field of view really makes just about everything feel like looking through a soda straw.
The Following User Says Thank You to MagnumWill For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 06:20 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,180 Times in 1,672 Posts

Aimpoint micro seems to be a solid way to got, thats what I have in mine.
Also got a tiny ACOG that used to be mounted on an NLAW Anti-Tank Missile Launcher.