Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,180 Posts
Default When you train

Advertise Here

WITH YOUR EDC,

What is it
and
how do you train?

and when running your drills do you fire singles, doubles, triple tap the same target?

How many targets do you usually include in your training regimen?

How do you address multiple target scenario training?
or
do you just train on a single target?
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 AM
Space Force Recruit

Thanked 1,745 Times in 712 Posts

I carry a Glock 17 daily, as far as training goes it largely depends on what I feel like doing that day. I primarily train on a single target, because to transition to a second target all you need to do is point your gun at the 2nd target and do what you did for the first target and hope the 2nd target doesn't have a gun or weapon they can kill you with. Situational awareness to me is more of a priority.

All my drills start from my daily CCW holster, but it's largely dependent on what I feel like practicing. For magazine changes I load 2rds in to a magazine and two more in to a spare, load the spare in to my magazine, ect. ect. Magazine dumps in to a target at 30yrds with the intent to try to get as many rds down range, on target in as tight of a group as I can, primarily aiming for center mass. Occasionally I do practice the Mozambique drill but that isn't my primary

It largely is dependent on what I'm training for. With my handguns I largely train for something I might encounter on the daily like a mugger or coked up pcp smoking cat pee sniffing meth heads wielding machetes.

I'm not training for combat/war/tactical purposes with my pistol. If I am, it's not the primary weapon I train with, and I will occasionally draw and fire after my rifle has gone empty as long as the range permits it, which I've found is unlikely, but there are a couple, so long as the muzzle of your rifle remains pointed in a safe direction.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:07 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 27,319 Times in 8,796 Posts

I train for a variety of situations. I train for a lone target and multiple targets. I also train for precision shooting needs as well. I train to shoot a target with multiple hits and I also train to hit with 2 in the chest and 1 to the head. I do timed or speed shooting. What I do is vary all my different types of shooting in case I meet any or all sorts of different kinds of shooting. I also shoot from 0 to 25 yards with my pistols and 0 to 100 yards with my rifles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 10:35 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,841 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
I carry a Glock 17 daily, as far as training goes it largely depends on what I feel like doing that day. I primarily train on a single target, because to transition to a second target all you need to do is point your gun at the 2nd target and do what you did for the first target and hope the 2nd target doesn't have a gun or weapon they can kill you with. Situational awareness to me is more of a priority.

All my drills start from my daily CCW holster, but it's largely dependent on what I feel like practicing. For magazine changes I load 2rds in to a magazine and two more in to a spare, load the spare in to my magazine, ect. ect. Magazine dumps in to a target at 30yrds with the intent to try to get as many rds down range, on target in as tight of a group as I can, primarily aiming for center mass. Occasionally I do practice the Mozambique drill but that isn't my primary

It largely is dependent on what I'm training for. With my handguns I largely train for something I might encounter on the daily like a mugger or coked up pcp smoking cat pee sniffing meth heads wielding machetes.

I'm not training for combat/war/tactical purposes with my pistol. If I am, it's not the primary weapon I train with, and I will occasionally draw and fire after my rifle has gone empty as long as the range permits it, which I've found is unlikely, but there are a couple, so long as the muzzle of your rifle remains pointed in a safe direction.
Are you a cop and if not what do you do for a living that allows you to carry a G17 everyday?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 05:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 12,903 Times in 4,202 Posts

For EDC, I've bee running this drill as the first part of a range session that was given to me as a recommendation, which I'm starting to appreciate:

Starting from concealed carry, no practice shots, cold-start drill:

ALL SHOTS FIRED IN 2.5 SECONDS (using a timer)

Silhouette Target; full body size with head target area

Rds___Distance____Position / Hold____Target Area

1rd____3 Yards_____One-Handed_____Shot to Head
1rd____5 Yards_____Two-Handed_____Shot to Head
1rd____7 Yards_____Two Handed_____Shot to Head
2rd____10 Yards____Two-Handed_____Shots to Center of Mass

This drill only uses 5 rounds (helps rotate the carry ammo), but focuses on draw, speed, and accuracy.

I rarely get to three targets, but I often incorporate two; one close and one off to either side. There have been several case studies of one attacker doing a direct confrontation and a second coming in from behind or the side. It's more for situational awareness and breaking that funnel-vision and single-focus attention.

I'm adding "cover" to my drills for multiple threats. Shoot and move; trying to avoid the shooting drills from a static position. Incorporating various positions such as shooting from the back or side; kneeling, behind cover, etc.

Ranges will vary from literally two feet (arms length) and firing immediately once the pistol is cleared...all the way out to 25-30 meters (usually using an improvised rest and simulated cover).

Plenty of reload drills and a few FTE/FTF drills.

One area I think many overlook is that if you're actually carry concealed, you need to start your drills from the concealed position. I take a lot of "tactical" classes and use a battle belt with OWB holster; not even close to the same thing. Having to clear your shirt and holster takes a concerted effort and a lot of practice. It's embarrassing to have your pistol caught up in your shirt, but it's very much reality if you don't train with how you carry.

I always start slow to keep movements smooth, and work up to speed (excluding that initial range drill).

I'm using frames with paper silhouettes and my future plan is to upgrade to steel targets, simply for more immediate feedback on the faster pace drills.

This is always a good topic and one that I'm constantly trying to improve. Scenario-based training is really the most effective. Props help such as a chair and/or desk, using a vehicle (or even a vehicle seat), various cover options, etc., and using a timer has helped immensely.

ROCK6
Old 08-20-2019, 08:15 AM

The majority of my training would be what I plan to carry post shtf for patrol and mission.

Full size pistol / battle belt / drop leg dump pouch with 3 spare pistol mags

Plate carrier / integrated single point sling / rear zip on pack / 8+ mags

Mostly this year been training with my Scar 17 and AR10 rifles w/ Elcan optics.

Shooting multiple targets / Walking while shooting / 0-100 yards. & some long range work but not nearly enough as I have to shoot past my house and sort of towards my road.
For 5.56 I always always shoot twice at each target. But do maintain shot discipline to only shoot twice at each target to not waste ammo. For 7.62nato I was shooting twice at each target but it was slowing me down significantly compared to 5.56 for CQB training so I changed to a shot discipline of 1 round per target. That has helped a lot. I just have to make sure to be smooth about it and have 1 WELL placed round.
Right now I have a set up at one of my wood lots that has something like 15-18 targets made out of white plastic corrugated cardboard type stuff. It is nailed to trees with buttons. They work great except every so often a 24" pine will fall over from too much 7.62nato! (The saying turning cover into concealment is so true. Goes right thru the 24" pine and will then pass through 3/4 plywood.) After some more trees fall and I have to reset the range I'm going to go back to 8-10 as I feel that the 15+ is too many targets.
As for addressing the 'threats' of multiple targets there are a number of drills that i/we have been doing. We do a push fast run of 8 & 8 targets guy on right takes threats right and guy on left takes threats left. Goal is to push fast and hard as if the scenario is to have the upper hand of element of surprise yet lacking in men with to many threats thus need to push hard and fast. Another one that I do by myself is advance toward the targets from the 50 and starting out on the 6x on my elcan take out 3-5 while advancing/walking forward. Then switch to 1x and shoot targets that come up in sight until I take cover at a pc of plywood. Then either shoot from around the barrier and press forward or do a mag change. If I press forward i then do a transition to pistol and at that point am usually to deep to proceed and drill stops. Should be doing a mag change at cover every time really. Figured I should throw that in for the guy that feels the need to pick me apart. Another drill that I do if we have another guy with me is to take and set up targets 1-6 stand facing away from targets at approx 30 yards and have the partner call out sequences say 3/4/6/1 and then pivot and shoot 3/4/6/1 while walking forward towards the targets.
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel8 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin94 View Post
Are you a cop and if not what do you do for a living that allows you to carry a G17 everyday?

I THINK you are thinking of the G18.
F/A capable
great for a firefight in a phone booth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Space Force Recruit

Quote:

I'm not a cop. The Glock 17 is available at any non-fudd gun shop. In the state of Virginia and West Virginia where I maintain residencies I can carry any handgun without having to register it.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:40 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,635 Times in 651 Posts

Quote:
I live in America. That's why I am "allowed" to carry every day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,841 Times in 2,414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
I live in America. That's why I am "allowed" to carry every day.
And I get that, but how do you get away with carrying a full size gun was what I was asking? Pretty hard to carry a G17 without printing and most jobs dont want you carrying a visible gun on the job.

Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 PM
Space Force Recruit

Quote:
And I get that, but how do you get away with carrying a full size gun was what I was asking? Pretty hard to carry a G17 without printing and most jobs dont want you carrying a visible gun on the job.

It's a lot easier than you'd think even with a T-shirt. Fortunately the uniform policy at my work is pretty lax so I can get away with wearing bulkier clothing to hide it.
Old 08-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5x55 Swiss View Post
It's a lot easier than you'd think even with a T-shirt. Fortunately the uniform policy at my work is pretty lax so I can get away with wearing bulkier clothing to hide it.
YEAH, clothing can do wonders.
When I was working undercover I had one of those floor length Aussie dusters out of the wax cotton. I was on an armed robbery stakeout inside the target store and had a Remmy Police 870 with a folding stock hanging on a loop of paracord over my shoulder and it didn't print. The store clerk was a cop and another one of the customers was also a cop.

The store kept operating and when the Robber came in and did his thing, the outside units moved into position and when he left the store he walked into the last scene from BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID. Our job in the store was to not give him a retreat position where there could be a hostage situation.
The robber ... chose poorly.

How did we know it was going to happen.. the getaway driver was a snitch... he got away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post: