Lower Receiver recommendations? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 8,062 Times in 2,597 Posts

Advertise Here

`

It all comes down to aesthetics & the forged is actually stronger than the billet.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 07:11 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,850 Times in 2,152 Posts

Are lowers failing due to construction ?????
From what I am seeing no, they are not failing, so we have another strawman.....
Old 08-09-2019, 08:18 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,178 Times in 7,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freethinkin'Man View Post
Fellow Second Amendment loyalists, I've thought about investing in 1 or 2 lower receivers. As of today, Aug. 7 2019, it's still not yet clear what real-world fallout will take place in terms of legislation following the TX & OH shootings.

But I do think it may be time to spend a bit of money on these.

So I ask, to those of you who have experience in building AR-15 platforms... any recommendations for a stripped lower receiver? I've done a bit of my homework (billet, forged, etc), and see some units (such as some from Palmetto State Armory) which are not prohibitively expensive.

I speculate that merchandise at lower price points from well-known suppliers are likely to do the job just fine for when I build in the future, but I still thought I'd request posters with experience for recommendations. Thank you in advance!
Oh it's a massive investment requires months of research... lol.

They're $50 and all made to the same specs with the same machinery. Billet or forged makes zero difference, since some are also made of polymer... sticl with 7075 T6 aluminum from a reputable dealer, spend $100 on two, and be done with it...
Old 08-09-2019, 08:21 PM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 32,178 Times in 7,778 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuniticFringeInc View Post
Becuase both are built to extreme precise demensions so that both the lower and upper have near zero detectable slop when mating together which in turn with other additions such as target grade triggers and barrels will contribute to a very accurate AR.

Now the manufactures are very proud of them and they will cost you a pretty penny. But truth be told most folks will get all they need out of a run of the mill Anderson or PSA lower receivers. Often times to these will exceed mil-spec and offer features such as beveled mag wells that standard receivers wont.
Exactly what part of the lower effects accuracy?

The sights, barrel, chamber and ammo are all on the upper at relevant times. The upper holds the sights and zero, the bolt and chamber are in the upper, the barrel is the upper. I can't fathom how a lower has any input on accuracy, other than the trigger which is separate component.
The Following User Says Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 09:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,351 Times in 5,802 Posts

Quote:
Now the manufactures are very proud of them and they will cost you a pretty penny. But truth be told most folks will get all they need out of a run of the mill Anderson or PSA lower receivers. Often times to these will exceed mil-spec and offer features such as beveled mag wells that standard receivers wont.
You do know what "mil-spec" means, don't you?
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,355 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
Oh it's a massive investment requires months of research... lol.
Some things do require an investment that spans months of research... but this isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadcounsel View Post
They're $50 and all made to the same specs with the same machinery. Billet or forged makes zero difference, since some are also made of polymer... sticl with 7075 T6 aluminum from a reputable dealer, spend $100 on two, and be done with it...
Yes, this does go in line with what others wrote here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Freethinkin'Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Prepper elite

Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,924 Posts

Andersen or std
Old 08-13-2019, 10:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,462 Times in 3,874 Posts

Every time I buy a lower it shortly becomes a complete gun.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 12:07 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 8,781 Times in 2,681 Posts

Quote:
Unless your are building a super accurate mutant zombie zapper for extreme small groups, anderson, PSA will serve you quiet nicely and at a very wallet friendly price. Need that super accurate lower....consider a quality billet machined matched upper/lower. the price will be a lot more and the accuracy gains will be noticeble but nothing to get too excited about.
Agreed.

I also get the billet magazines with billet springs....excellent combination for accuracy.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:19 AM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,355 Times in 921 Posts

The last Anderson I used had a buffer retaining pin hole that was too close to the buffer. The buffer weight kept beating against the pin, marking it up. I went with an offset buffer retaining pin and it solved the issue. Has Anderson fixed that problem? It was well known enough that someone was manufacturing the pins as a business, I think, been a minute since I owned that rifle.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 21,836 Times in 6,941 Posts

Quote:
Becuase both are built to extreme precise demensions so that both the lower and upper have near zero detectable slop when mating together which in turn with other additions such as target grade triggers and barrels will contribute to a very accurate AR.
Huh. I shot expert with a 30 year old slick side M16 that had quarter inch of slop and twisted like Chubby Checker.

If you know how to shoot, itís not a big thing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 10:57 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,141 Times in 493 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Huh. I shot expert with a 30 year old slick side M16 that had quarter inch of slop and twisted like Chubby Checker.

If you know how to shoot, itís not a big thing.
What no Accuwedge?

LOL!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:01 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,055 Times in 4,478 Posts

Whatever you buy, just build it NOW. I cant count the number of times I've read threads "so I bought it 2 years ago and it's out of spec now that I'm assembling it..." about all strata of price point lowers.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Prepper elite

Accuracy is in the barrel and trigger setup. That's it. Have the upper squared by a machinist and get a quality barrel.

That's it nothing special
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 AM
μολὼν λαβέ

Thanked 4,080 Times in 1,687 Posts

Mil Spec is such an overused term. In a manufactured ‘anything’ the spec has an excepted variance. .Gov will accept ‘x’ variance on a mil spec part. The part you’re getting may or may not be to the same variance that .Gov accepts. It would still be called mil spec by the manufacture. It’s a BS semantics game but there are definitely visible differences in mil spec parts. I have a box of hammers and triggers. ALL of them will make your rifles go bang. They all do not look exactly the same. Which would .Gov accept as mil spec, I don’t know. But they where all sold as a mil spec. The same goes for pins, safeties, springs and so on. Detents seem to be the only parts in the bins that all look the same.

Since there are only a few manufactures of 80% and forged/billet lowers you’re ultimately paying for the roll marks that the dealers offer.

This being said certain dealers will require a closer spec tolerance for rejection and or offer esthetic features on their lowers. Is this worth the extra money? Some would say go be poor somewhere else. Some would say more to spend on ammo.

Anderson produces more lowers than anyone else. The Poverty Pony gets a bad rap. I have seen out of spec lowers online. But I’d chalk this up to less QC on the finished product rather than poorly manufactured. There has to be a % quality rejection rate on any manufactured piece. At the cost they sell them at, I’m sure there is less QC inspections. At the quantity they produce, there is more of a chance for errors.

Who makes the best...I don’t know.

I’ve made a lot of ARs and variants. The most important components to accuracy is barrel/gas set up, trigger and check weld to stock to optics. The most important parts to overall reliability was the bolt and gas set up. The rest was esthetics.

Will a DD run a 3 Gun or 3 day school more reliably than a PSA Freedom / Poverty Pony build? Ask @Unobtanium about that. He’ll tell you what he’s seen. Also ask him about his NFA Noveski SBR that was out of spec. (BTW, how’d that turn out in the end?)

On a side note. Every DD barrel I’ve put on a rifle has been lights out accurate. I don’t know who makes them, FN??. I’d pay the extra spank though...jm2c.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:26 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,055 Times in 4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0002S View Post
Mil Spec is such an overused term. In a manufactured ‘anything’ the spec has an excepted variance. .Gov will accept ‘x’ variance on a mil spec part. The part you’re getting may or may not be to the same variance that .Gov accepts. It would still be called mil spec by the manufacture. It’s a BS semantics game but there are definitely visible differences in mil spec parts. I have a box of hammers and triggers. ALL of them will make your rifles go bang. They all do not look exactly the same. Which would .Gov accept as mil spec, I don’t know. But they where all sold as a mil spec. The same goes for pins, safeties, springs and so on. Detents seem to be the only parts in the bins that all look the same.

Since there are only a few manufactures of 80% and forged/billet lowers you’re ultimately paying for the roll marks that the dealers offer.

This being said certain dealers will require a closer spec tolerance for rejection and or offer esthetic features on their lowers. Is this worth the extra money? Some would say go be poor somewhere else. Some would say more to spend on ammo.

Anderson produces more lowers than anyone else. The Poverty Pony gets a bad rap. I have seen out of spec lowers online. But I’d chalk this up to less QC on the finished product rather than poorly manufactured. There has to be a % quality rejection rate on any manufactured piece. At the cost they sell them at, I’m sure there is less QC inspections. At the quantity they produce, there is more of a chance for errors.

Who makes the best...I don’t know.

I’ve made a lot of ARs and variants. The most important components to accuracy is barrel/gas set up, trigger and check weld to stock to optics. The most important parts to overall reliability was the bolt and gas set up. The rest was esthetics.

Will a DD run a 3 Gun or 3 day school more reliably than a PSA Freedom / Poverty Pony build? Ask @Unobtanium about that. He’ll tell you what he’s seen. Also ask him about his NFA Noveski SBR that was out of spec. (BTW, how’d that turn out in the end?)

On a side note. Every DD barrel I’ve put on a rifle has been lights out accurate. I don’t know who makes them, FN??. I’d pay the extra spank though...jm2c.
I've owned an out of spec lower. Noveske Forged Billet Gen 2. It was so out of spec no upper receiver at Daniel Defense would drop onto it, per Daniel Defense, who tried over half a dozen for me trying to match that stupid thing (Yes, DD is an amazing company for CS).

They do exist. Make sure yours is in-spec WHOEVER makes it, and then motor on.

*Before someone asks about "Forged billet". It is a billet part which has been machined from a forging, typically, a hand forging. You get the condensed grain structure of a forging, with the precision of billet. You do NOT get the grain alignment with shape/contour of the part that you do with a SHAPE forging, however.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unobtanium For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 04:05 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklessdriver View Post
Andersen or std

Well, given that choice, I'd rather have an Andersen than an std....

Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Prepper elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
Well, given that choice, I'd rather have an Andersen than an std....

Std was pretty neat they offer a m16 style lower and tolerances where slightly tighter