3D printers - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3D Printers, could this be the ultimate prepper's dream tool?!... Hector827 General Discussion 11 02-08-2014 02:45 PM
The BEST application of 3D printers I have seen yet Robot The Tech Zone 2 03-07-2013 10:01 AM
3D printers to make gun parts? ironfourlife DIY - Do It Yourself 49 08-27-2012 07:42 PM
Newly discovered vulnerability in Printers that can expose personal info to risk valhalarising General Discussion 0 11-29-2011 01:22 PM
Mmm! Food printers! Basic Human Unit General Discussion 3 03-07-2011 10:50 AM

Old 09-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Default 3D printers

Advertise Here

I've been seeing a lot online about 3D printers and I thought about this forum. Is anyone fAmiliar with them? It seems like they could be of use to survivalists / preppers .
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2014, 05:04 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,128 Times in 6,638 Posts

My bro sets them up and repairs them. They could definitely be useful to preppers for making tools or weapons. They can print just about anything. Just not sure on the cost compared to buying something mass produced like an axe.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.

Thanked 3,514 Times in 945 Posts

i have been messing around with our 3d printers at work, and while they are very cool i dont think they are practical for a survival situation mostly due to the overall strength of the material. Also they are slow and consume a metric crapton of power, so if there is a grid down situation for example are you really going to run a generator for 9 hours while you print a bracket? combine that with limited materials and the overall cost of the unit and i think you would be better off investing in a 3 axis CNC mill or similar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSquid For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 05:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,434 Times in 1,286 Posts
Default I wonder if

3 D Printing is not at the stage where computers were when they had a special room and a dedicated power line. The computers that sit on our desktops or our laps now have more power than those did.

I am certain if the "printers" catch on 3D Printers will follow the route of the computer. But right now for the average prepper they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSquid View Post
i have been messing around with our 3d printers at work, and while they are very cool i dont think they are practical for a survival situation mostly due to the overall strength of the material. Also they are slow and consume a metric crapton of power, so if there is a grid down situation for example are you really going to run a generator for 9 hours while you print a bracket? combine that with limited materials and the overall cost of the unit and i think you would be better off investing in a 3 axis CNC mill or similar.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,309 Times in 4,301 Posts

I have one. home units pretty much only print in plastic. They are good for prototyping things and fooling around.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:10 PM
Jeep addict extrodinaire.

Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,873 Posts

I wonder if one could print an acurite, scale version of a shipping container?...
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle71 View Post
I wonder if one could print an acurite, scale version of a shipping container?...
It all depends on the 3D model you start with.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Jeep addict extrodinaire.

Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,873 Posts

Ah... have to claim utter ignorance here. How would one scale down a container to make the model to print a... model?
Old 09-05-2014, 10:09 PM
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.

Sketchup is pretty much the easiest tool to use to manipulate 3d models for printing. And its free!

Once you have the model all set in sketchup you typically just export to .stl which most of the 3d printers can convert to a printable format.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:04 PM

Yeah, the biggest problem people run into 3D printers is that it's essentially required to know some form of CAD drafting program. It's not an EZ Bake Oven by any means. As I always say, it's not the tool that enables your capability, it's your capability that enables the tool. If you can draft in AutoCAD, Soliworks, etc. The sky's the limit. If you can't, you might as well spend the money and build things traditionally, which there is zero reason you can't/shouldn't.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noble_jackal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2014, 04:53 PM

I have a home built unit that cost me about $600 to put together. It prints in ABS plastic and is very useful to have if you create, tinker and build stuff all the time. It's a great tool to subsidize my mill and lathe.

You need to have an analytical mind and an understanding of physics to properly create and make objects in a 3d printer. You have to able to envision an object then have the skills to make it in a CAD program keeping in mind limitations imposed by the printer and material.

I make things in spurts. I won't touch it for a week then spend a day designing and printing stuff. Latest thing I made was a cheek riser for my bolt gun and a butt stock extension to increase the length of pull. I've also made replacement parts for broken stuff around the house. It's more of a novelty then anything but it comes in handy when you brake a part that you can't buy and you'd have to chunk the whole thing away cuz of a $2 part.

They do not eat gobs of power. A 150w plate heater for the surface the printer prints on and a smaller nozzle heater. Other than that it's power to run the arduino board and 5 stepper motors. Call it 500w on the high side. That's less than what a tv consumes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_Liner740 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,031 Times in 523 Posts

Anyone remember Atari and Commodore PCs? My bro had a Sinclair ZX81 he was facinated with. 3D printers are coming, they just need a Bill Gates or Steve Jobs to make them main stream. Watch for the return of the village with a print shop for a smithy
The Following User Says Thank You to zemio For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,458 Times in 755 Posts

It's fascinating technology that I know little about. Wonder where it will be in five or ten years. I'll ptobably be able to clone my cat.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:18 AM

I don't know much about the technology other than seeing one demo'd at SEMA back in 2003 and the few TV shows I've seen with them. Dremel has just introduced a 3D printer which leads me to believe that this will likely become a more mainstream technology. See this article for details - http://www.werd.com/27082/dremel-ide...er-3d-printer/
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 58,939 Times in 19,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielyn View Post
3 D Printing is not at the stage where computers were when they had a special room and a dedicated power line. The computers that sit on our desktops or our laps now have more power than those did.

I am certain if the "printers" catch on 3D Printers will follow the route of the computer. But right now for the average prepper they are not.
Yep.

Give it time.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,282 Times in 601 Posts

there is a shop in seattle with a high end printer you can rent time on. I was thinking about printing a few magazines to play with, and maybe that plastic gun every one was freaking out about.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Rifled Tube Enthusiast.

Plot Twist: This company has a reasonably affordable 3d printer that prints with Carbon Fiber. The strength table comparing the material to aluminum is particularly interesting. I suspect printing a functional lower would not be out of the question with a machine like this:
https://markforged.com/
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSquid For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 PM

There are several printers I have selected to buy but never bought anything because of lack of knowledge unless I read Beginner 3D Printer Reviews. After that, I selected the printer for my office and it's good. You can checkout the reviews as well.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:09 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,282 Times in 646 Posts

I've been following Rapid Prototyping (RP) for nearly 30yr. And it's been "almost there"/"just around the corner"/"any day now" for 30yr.
The Following User Says Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post: