Tokarev M57 Help - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 08-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Default Tokarev M57 Help

Advertise Here

I have two Tokarevs. The TT-33 runs every time, like clock work. All around nice gun. The other, that I recently acquired, is the M57 Yugo which I've yet to fire.

When a round is fed from the M57 mag, the rear of the cartridge catches under the firing pin and so it jams at that point. The firing pin, springs, channel and locking plate at the rear have been thoroughly cleaned and nothing changed.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 02:57 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,228 Times in 8,897 Posts

I would say the hole in the slide for the firing pin is burred or undersized and holding the pin out. It could go full auto, so don't start with a full magazine.

Had a 30 Mauser Tok for a while as a kid, was sort of fun but I liked the 1911 much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2019, 03:05 PM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too but wasn't sure.

Wait, do you mean the hole in the slide is oversized so the pin can stick out...not undersized? That, or the pin is undersized. Right?
Old 08-14-2019, 05:23 PM
Prepared

There may be cosmoline in the firing pin channel in the slide remove the firing pin and give it and the slide a good cleaning, brake cleen works well
Old 08-14-2019, 06:47 PM
reluctant sinner

The pin could be over sized for the hole, or the hole is undersized for the pin. The spring should easily retract pin. Greasy crud or a burr could easily prevent the spring from doing is job besides the possible friction issue with the pin/hole.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 PM

The two M57 firing pins that I have are the same length. So, I think only a slim chance of having two pins, both too long. Anything is possible, I suppose.

Could still be that the firing pin hole is oversized.

But there's no crud in there...like I said in the opening post.

Could be a burr but not as far as my old eyes can tell.

The springs are good because I can push the pin forward from the rear, just like it should. Springs back nice and strong into the channel...just not far enough back into the channel. Oversized pins?? Oh brother...

I spent most of the day on this and still haven't figured it out. Every time I think I got it...nope. Appreciate the help tho.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:44 PM
reluctant sinner

The pin likely isn't too long, its too large in diameter for the hole.

Take it to a. real gunsmith
Old 08-14-2019, 08:10 PM

Well, no. f it's too wide in diameter, then it wouldn't even fit thru the hole in the breech face. Much less protrude too far forward in the face to stop a round from making it to chamber. Just simple common sense, right?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:26 PM
reluctant sinner

It needs clearance to function properly. Be save, get professional help for it.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:16 PM

Measured up the pin against the channel and it is what it is. It's not the problem, although it's the symptom. The cause of the problem has to do with the magazine lips and how it releases the round up into the pin. The mag should hold the round slightly longer to allow the round to move forward far enough to clear the pin...then release it upward at an angle into the chamber. Pretty sure that's it. Too late to screw around more today...tomorrow's another day.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,712 Times in 5,673 Posts

Are you sure the spring is good. It should return the pin before the case ejects.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,757 Times in 1,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadMonk View Post
Well, no. f it's too wide in diameter, then it wouldn't even fit thru the hole in the breech face. Much less protrude too far forward in the face to stop a round from making it to chamber. Just simple common sense, right?
If it's "too wide" to be a loose slip fit it can still go in the hole but not move easily as it should.

I'd break it down an give it a thorough cleaning then lube, reassemble and check for proper operation.

As others have said, it may just be excess cosmoline or a metal chip putting it in a bind.

The firing pin shouldn't be protruding at all, and the brass is exactly where it should be, behind the extractor
Old 08-14-2019, 10:02 PM

Yes, thanks...Both springs are good afaik. Pushing in on the back, moves the pin forward in the channel nicely. It snaps back smartly when I let go and it takes some pressure to move the pin that way, no mushy or spongy.

I can get my hands on another Tokarev tomorrow for comparison.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
If it's "too wide" to be a loose slip fitit can still go in the hole but not move easily as it should.

I'd break it down an give it a thorough cleaning then lube, reassemble and check for proper operation.

As others have said, it may just be excess cosmoline or a metal chip putting it in a bind.

The firing pin shouldn't be protruding at all, and the brass is exactly where it should be, behind the extractor
Nah, no slop in the pin. Pin finds the hole every time without guiding it in or lining it up. Right to the hole with my finger, slide stop or flathead.

As said a few times, no cosmo, no gunk, no dirt. Been there done that.

The firing pin has to protrude. The pin is 6 cm and the channel is 5.5 with a hard stop at the rear.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,712 Times in 5,673 Posts

Did you roll the pin to make sure the end is centered. It could be slightly bent.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Figured it out last night at 1 AM. So simple, it's embarrassing. Well, who am I kidding? Any pride that I had about these things is long gone. So...there's a small top hat looking bushing that fits on the tail end of the firing pin. If that's not seated correctly into the stop, you get a protruding firing pin. Once it dawned on me what the problem was, it took two minutes to remedy the problem. Like I said, so simple so humiliating...lol. (If I can't make a complex mountain out of a mole hill, I can't do a dang thing.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BadMonk For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Mad Trapper

Just looking at your picture it appears that there is cosmoline on the firing pin and traces all over the breach face......or it could just be the lighting of the picture.

But 1st thing Id do is take the slide apart and drop all parts in boiling water and boil off all grease and cosmoline. a few drops of dawn dish-soap in the water after its boiled will grab all the grease so it doesn't re attach to your parts.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
Just looking at your picture it appears that there is cosmoline on the firing pin and traces all over the breach face......or it could just be the lighting of the picture.

But 1st thing Id do is take the slide apart and drop all parts in boiling water and boil off all grease and cosmoline. a few drops of dawn dish-soap in the water after its boiled will grab all the grease so it doesn't re attach to your parts.
that's been mentioned numerous times and ... nope. read my post above, already been fixed