I am taking a trip deep into enemy territory( Chicago) - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-23-2019, 02:35 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 9,977 Times in 3,616 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
Tempted to drive, but the kid hasn't had the train travel and "inner city" experience.
( I want to check out the MKE to CHI train ride too)
I see this as a field trip, in more ways than just the MSI.

Thank you for the pricing intel, I promise not to come back complaining if I live to regret my decision. Public transport and ewww CTA it will be. I want to walk the loop again, pass the kid by CBOE where I still have a buddy working after 25 years, maybe pop in at Billy Goats for a burger, before hopping the Orange line to McKinley park, where my 100 year old church and school ( that grandma, mom, and myself went and great grandpa helped build. I figure we'll take the EL back to the Red Line, and off to MSI.

suppose I can wimp out and $149 Uber it back to Ozaukee County.

I'll post an AAR next week or month whenever we go. TY
Might get a LOT more "experience" then you bargained for. Putting yourselves needlessly among the crowd like that.

As white(?) males I can pretty much guarantee whatever you might have to do to defend yourself will end badly.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
That's scarier than a trip deep into grizzly country.

I don't have to hide my gun in grizzly country (and they are generally friendlier).
I don't know about "friendlier" but the bears are more civilized and useful than the std demographic of Chiraq.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2019, 02:03 AM
FBHO

Thanked 2,128 Times in 737 Posts

Apologies for my slow response, we'll be going in the end of August /early September.Thanks for the ideas and feedback y'all
I understand the risks, so does my son. I don't expect problems.
Hope/pray for the best prepare best we can for the worse. I especially appreciate the CBOE tip, yes I'll have a visit scheduled. I'll have badges from the firm "should" be ok.

yes I know McKinley changed but I have people there and a buddie I'm meeting in Bridgeport at Jack's for pizza and beer. He's a highschool buddie who is gang and narcotics task force now. I plan on a ride in the cruiser to the redline.

I figure that this thread is worthless without pics, so here is the first of my plastic knives to arrive.
It's a one time use dfensive pointy stabby object that won't cut paper ( seriously) but definitely will gut a scumbag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0167.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	289820  
Old 07-27-2019, 03:22 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,853 Times in 665 Posts

I think if I was that scared, I’d just stay at the house.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:31 PM

Take a walking stick, good oak or hickory or you seem to be into Cold steel, they have some the walkabout is my favorite or the blackthorn. never had trouble getting a stick in airport or fed building
Old 08-01-2019, 09:19 PM

You will have a great time. My only concern is that you will need about 3 days to do everything mentioned.
Old 08-01-2019, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,388 Times in 3,080 Posts

I go to Chicago all the time. I just stay away from the hoods of the southside and westside. Other than that I am more worried about getting pulled over and having to pay crazy IL traffic citations...
Old 08-01-2019, 10:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
I go to Chicago all the time. I just stay away from the hoods of the southside and westside. Other than that I am more worried about getting pulled over and having to pay crazy IL traffic citations...
You are lucky.

I lived at Pearson and Michigan (the upscale area) for years and there were shootings all the time within a few blocks. No place in Chicago is safe anymore.

As far as the traffic citations go, you can often do a "Local Bond" instead of a citation.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,264 Times in 637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotage39k View Post
30yr ago I went to Chiraq occasionally, 90% work required.

"all the time" going to the cesspool has no rational explanation. Today if work required occasional forced visit. And never after dark. Life is to short and there ar too many decent places in the US you/anyone has never seen.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:55 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,283 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkeater View Post
Apologies for my slow response, we'll be going in the end of August /early September.Thanks for the ideas and feedback y'all
I understand the risks, so does my son. I don't expect problems.
Hope/pray for the best prepare best we can for the worse. I especially appreciate the CBOE tip, yes I'll have a visit scheduled. I'll have badges from the firm "should" be ok.

yes I know McKinley changed but I have people there and a buddie I'm meeting in Bridgeport at Jack's for pizza and beer. He's a highschool buddie who is gang and narcotics task force now. I plan on a ride in the cruiser to the redline.

I figure that this thread is worthless without pics, so here is the first of my plastic knives to arrive.
It's a one time use dfensive pointy stabby object that won't cut paper ( seriously) but definitely will gut a scumbag.
Go for it. He's of an age to start seeing bad stuff, especially with you there to guide him.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,100 Posts

Was there a couple of years ago - stay close to the Navy Pier - great place and safe. The miracle mile, high end shopping is safe. Also the Museum of Science and Industry is great! Check out the captured U-boat! I'm a ham radio operator monitored the police at night! It was insane! If you don't have a scanner download a app on your cell phone called Broadcastify - you can monitor police and fire all over the country. At night the police bands get busy.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie505 View Post
Was there a couple of years ago - stay close to the Navy Pier - great place and safe.

July 4: "Three people were stabbed as a result of a fight near Chicago's Navy Pier, and 14 people were injured,"

No place in Chicago is safe. Don't go there unless you have to.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 PM
styer sniper

Were from mississippi and have family in palos hills basically in chicago. I have been to the sience and industry mueseum several times and the aquarium. Never had any trouble up there in any part of town. I do admit we do drive up and are armed. I know i carried my cershaw leek in with me. Chicago has always been good to us. Wierdest thing and the only time we got nervous was when we went to a mcdonalds near our hotel a guy walked in and loadly asked who was in the suv from mississippi. I said we were and turned out he was too and then sat next to us and talked to us most of the time and offered to buy our breakfast. I have a fiberglass knife i bought a while back i do carry in the city. Not really worried though people there dont know me and i can find an improvised weapon.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomclay98 For This Useful Post: