Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wife Robbed & Assaulted. Kubaton to Rescue? PeterEnergy General Discussion 276 10-22-2017 02:51 PM

Old 05-03-2019, 01:43 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,888 Times in 5,428 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchet jack View Post
Celtic and deprogram what do you guys think of Slungshots? I got real enthused about them after I read an article in the Backwoodsman magazine about them and how simple they are to make. Just a small padlock attached to a short length of para cord makes a decent one. Or a roll of quarters in a sock. Or a bar of soap. A favorite of Al Capones men.

And I know they hurt like hell. I was swinging one in my garage and managed to wrap it around my hand and hit myself in the back of the head. That was the end of the indoor practice sessions.
1 1/4 nut, snake knot. Can be used to break out car window in case of an emergency.
Not much use in hand to hand combat, much better tools for that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_7401.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	286752  
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2019, 01:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,544 Times in 1,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deprogramming services View Post
I tried that years ago, but decided that it might make more sense to put a big steel screw into the hole I drilled instead of lead, because even though the steel weighs less than lead, it weighs enough, and it's harder than lead. Experience though did later show that a little difference in weight can make a big difference in power. But that same thing probably applies to hardness too.

But after making a few wood and steel yawara sticks I decided why even waste time with wood in the first place, since steel proved its superiority over wood on the battlefield a long time ago. So instead I made steel yawara sticks like I described in another post above. Nothing made with lead and wood can come close to their efficiency: lead is heavier than steel but steel is heavier than wood, so all steel probably weighs about the same as a combination of lead and wood. And they are much easier to make. And as nice as a wood handle might be, wrapped rubber is better. Or leather if you prefer that, though leather will not stick to your hand like rubber does.

A wood yawara stick turned on a lathe by a skilled craftsman with some artistic talent could look really cool though. Mine just look pure businesslike, but yours could be artistic. On a table at a gun show yours might sell really well and mine probably wouldn't. And when it comes to their use as a weapon, one is probably about as good as another, since the difference between one and another is small compared to all the other things that determine the outcome of a fight.

But if you want the most efficient form for this weapon to take, use steel, with a rubber grip.
Good points! I prefer wood for looks and feel. I used to carry a bar of lead, a leftover from the days of the lead sled custom autos. I like the idea of wood w/screw or I may substitute a piece of smooth steel bar epoxied into the wood rather than lead.

Mine would only have to work once, if ever, so durability is not essential. Thanks for the valid input.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2019, 06:26 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
I remember a good ol' boy who did a lot of brawling and had a reputation for coming out on top carried in his car a section of welding lead about a foot and a half long with a heavy connector on one end and nothing on the other, which he claimed to have used to good effect as a flail on multiple occasions. The welding lead is made out of heavy copper wire and the connector is a big hunk of solid brass; both are covered with rubber. I'd say it would make an adequate flail. Since he was a welder, he could carry it in his car without it looking like a weapon.

The point to this though is not so much that a short section of welding lead with a connector makes a good flail as it is that an improvised weapon can be found or made that fits your situation in some way.
I thought a Flail was more of a weight on an extended chain that had more reach to it. here is an article on the Slungshot.

http://www.oldsaltblog.com/2018/07/t...the-slungshot/

Quote:
1 1/4 nut, snake knot. Can be used to break out car window in case of an emergency.
Sarge you have the right idea. the one I made with a padlock was longer and closer to a flail. After hitting myself in the head with it i certify it to be decent weapon.

I would like to get one of the big lugnuts off an 18 wheeler and add a loop of wier in the middle then fill with lead and attach a cord. i wish I knew how to do the braiding of paracord that you did.

Improvised slungshot at the four minute mark.

And I'm sure everyone remembers Paul Kersey using two rolls of quarters in a sock in the first Death Wish. Reportedly Al Capones thugs liked a bar of soap in a sock and were known to cause death with those.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,044 Posts

Keep in mind a "slungshot" purposely made with a heavy nut and cord would be considered an illegal weapon in many places, but a length of chain with a large padlock connecting the ends together is simply a commonplace "security device".
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2019, 03:14 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
Keep in mind a "slungshot" purposely made with a heavy nut and cord would be considered an illegal weapon in many places, but a length of chain with a large padlock connecting the ends together is simply a commonplace "security device".
Yep. I carry a chain and padlock in my truck to lock in my ladder when I carry one to look at roofs. (insurance adjuster)
Old 06-20-2019, 02:23 PM

Can someone recommend a heavier/weighted kubaton?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:44 PM

To answer the OP question - pressure points you can probably google for illustrations but any bony areas work as well. As for kubotan like items - any stick, thick pen that feel good in hand will work or a pocket knife that's long enough. I have several yawara sticks. My favorite is a handmade one made from hickory that I've had for years. The yawara stick is great for striking with either end, for a more solid punch and for bone grinding techniques as well. But using it can hinder many open hand techniques so I prefer using nothing. Here's a photo of it. The maker's kids even named it "The Chrysalis".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chrysalis.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	288846  
Old 07-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq View Post
Can someone recommend a heavier/weighted kubaton?
Any appropriately sized cold chisel would work pretty well.

A piece of .75" or 1" round bar is fairly heavy.
The ends can be tapered to the desired size.

Look at large bolts in any hardware store.

"Kubatons" are everywhere.