Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Summer "Camp" that teaches survival, farming, carpentry, hunting, etc tankman1989 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 02-14-2016 08:10 AM
100 Pack 8" color reactive shooting targets - $25.19 shipped after coupon "slickguns" apps47inc For Sale 0 05-24-2015 08:26 PM
Bulldog MSR Sling Pack with Detachable Fanny Pack - $26.99 Free S/H over $49 w/coupon apps47inc For Sale 0 05-17-2015 11:20 PM
(100 Pack) Pop-N-Glo Targets 8.5" X 11" - $26.99 shipped after coupon "slickguns" apps47inc For Sale 0 05-14-2015 05:45 PM
Fanny Pack vs Vest small saddle wedgie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 10-12-2013 11:10 PM
Bad OPSEC to have a "Patriotic" or "Tactical" decal on vehicle?? Studio BK Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 129 10-25-2012 11:13 AM
25 Pack - 4 Bullseye 8 1/2" by 11" (100 Total 4" targets) - $12.50 + FSSS* apps47inc For Sale 0 05-21-2012 08:22 PM
Alice pack and tactical Vest special $30 victor23 For Sale 71 03-09-2012 06:29 PM
GEAR REVIEW: Diamondback Tactical SOF "Assault," pack Tax Man Reviews and questions 1 07-13-2010 09:41 AM
Fanny pack I use while hunting video kev Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 0 12-01-2007 03:07 PM

Old 09-14-2013, 11:08 PM
In the woods

Advertise Here

I have a Load Bearing system that I use, purchased from the local surplus store and customized to my hunting needs. Basically, it's a MOLLE web belt (6 inchin in height maybe) that has D rings to which I have attached a Y shaped shoulder harness. Someone in the store called it a battle belt, but it's really a padded sleeve that goes over your belt. It works great, I can attach anything MOLLE to it such as canteens, magazine pouches, small children, larger items etc...
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 AM

Ordered Cabela's Activ-Lite Shell and Bird belt yesterday. Hopefully it gets here soon so I can use it this season.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasneinc View Post
I know it's kind of an odd question, but I am just starting out hunting and I am using a small backpack and even though it doesn't seem to have much stuff in it, it is somewhat cumbersome for slinking around the woods while stalking. When I take it off I am able to move much more stealthily through the woods but then I have to go back and get it.
I was thinking one of those hunting fanny packs or a tactical vest with all their pockets might be more streamlined or have the weight distributed better so I don't feel like I am constantly compensating for the extra weight on my back.
I have a large hiking backpack for getting into and out of camp. This would be just what I use for the day while I am away from camp. Any and all ideas are welcome. I wasn't sure which forum to put this in cause I hunt deer and elk and squirrel and grouse and anything else that lives in these mountains. I appreciate your input.
My problem with my fanny pack is I can't put sweaters or jackets into it when I dress down and it's not comfortable with a warm coat on. So I use my fanny pack in summer and a backpack the other 10 months of the year.

I just don't do tack vests.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyallpeder For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 02:34 AM

The allure of the tac vest has worn off. I am looking forward to getting my fanny pack, belt pack, whatever you want to call it from Cabela's soon. Hopefully it will get here before hunting season is over.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Plays best, alone

Thanked 5,179 Times in 2,400 Posts

I've tried all. Backback was akward when bending over or ducking branches. Vest, warm and stuff was in the way. Tried just stuffing things in my pockets too, that was ok just kind of limiting what you can carry. Belt pack has been best so far. It has shoulder straps but I too don't use them.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Quasneinc,
I think it depends on the type of terrain you hunt and how you hunt. I typically day hunt, out in early AM, back after dark, in the heavily wooded Appalachian mountains. A backpack is always hanging up on brush and trees and a fanny pack never rode well for me. I have always used a shoulder bag, similar to what is now called a messenger bag. Mine is an old surplus butt pack with an adjustable web shoulder strap. I usually put the strap over my left shoulder and the bag hangs at waist height on my right side. It's easy to access your stuff and to shift around as I move thru the woods. It fits either over or under a jacket and easily holds everything I need for a days hunt. If you want to slip it off, it's easy with minimal movement. It works very well for the type of hunting I do and IIRC, the whole thing cost less than $10.

LT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doublebit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,668 Posts

This is what I normally use for hunting down here in SE Texas:

With cooler weather coming on, I will probably switch from the camelback to a slightly different sling pack which gives me a little more space for gear and clothing, and without a water bladder.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:47 PM
"This is my Boomstick!"

Thanked 1,334 Times in 732 Posts

Neither. I use a Black and Orange Jagermeister Day Pack. Not to big and not to small.

Contents

Buck Grunt Call
Doe Call "The Can"
Doe Estrus
Firekit in Ziploc bag (Two Bic Lighters, Waterproof matches, cotton balls, and a flint steel)
Small First aid kit (Gauze, Iodine, various size band aids, and rubber tubing)
Extra pair of gloves
Extra blaze orange hat
Backup Kershaw BLUR Folder Knife
Emergency Whistle/Thermometer/Compass
20ft of Utility Rope
Fenix HL30 Waterproof LED Headlamp (Runs on 2 AA Batteries
Two Extra AA Batteries
Busnell Monocular
12 ounce Water Bottle (Been thinking of making it a Stainless Steel Bottle instead?)
Orange Rain Poncho
Emergency Thermal Space Blanket
Cellphone (Turned off kept in Ziploc bag) with extra battery
A Few Hand and Foot warmers
A little beef jerky, snickers bar and an apple
and last but not least 12 extra rounds of ammunition

This sounds like a lot of gear but it really doesn't weigh me down that much at all and is worth it if I was to get turned around in the North Woods of Minnesota in November.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,447 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager78 View Post
12 ounce Water Bottle (Been thinking of making it a Stainless Steel Bottle instead?
While I love SS bottles they aren't the greatest for our clime--ever grab hold of metal when it's 10F--our typical hunting weather...You need gloves...While plastic may be cold it doesn't retain it like metal does.

I use metal during fall and spring bird season as they keep the liquid cooler, longer but I switch out to plastic, which is also far quieter, for deer season.

Unless, you're going to keep it next to your body for the whole time, I'd advise against it.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublebit View Post
Quasneinc,
I think it depends on the type of terrain you hunt and how you hunt. I typically day hunt, out in early AM, back after dark, in the heavily wooded Appalachian mountains. A backpack is always hanging up on brush and trees and a fanny pack never rode well for me. I have always used a shoulder bag, similar to what is now called a messenger bag. Mine is an old surplus butt pack with an adjustable web shoulder strap. I usually put the strap over my left shoulder and the bag hangs at waist height on my right side. It's easy to access your stuff and to shift around as I move thru the woods. It fits either over or under a jacket and easily holds everything I need for a days hunt. If you want to slip it off, it's easy with minimal movement. It works very well for the type of hunting I do and IIRC, the whole thing cost less than $10.

LT
Yeah I have a MOLLE messenger bag I like a lot
Old 10-11-2013, 09:54 AM
Prepared

Check your game laws. In PA, we have to wear 250 inches of blaze orange (except while sitting for turkey or ducks). Therefore I have a hunting vest with lots of pockets. Usually that is enough for squirrels and whatnot. During deer/turkey season, I take a backpack with extra things (gloves, balaclava, grub, sweater, etc.) because the walk up gets me too hot if I'm all bundled up, but when I sit I get cold. Ducks, we use 5-gallon buckets to sit on so we usually load them up. I'd stick with a small pack or a fanny pack. I also have a maxpedition sling bag thing (knockoff UTG one) and I can take that too if I'm staying out a little bit longer, but usually just my vest is good enough.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:26 AM

Some friends advice me to choose fanny pack but I'm confused about how to choose the best one.

Can you recommend me a good fanny pack ?
Old 03-22-2019, 11:43 AM
Kiss my Grass

Thanked 2,268 Times in 741 Posts

I am moving (bending shifting walking crouching) all day for work.

It may not be hunting/hiking, but I do get into some thick brush and tight spaces.

I really prefer a fanny pack. It can be situated anywhere, complete 360* around your body.

One can extend the belt portion and carry it cross body (similar to a sling bag) if necessary.

People that hate fanny packs never have tried them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManVsLawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 12:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 22,068 Times in 6,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVsLawn View Post
It's an image thing, IMHO....

I have a Gerber branded bag, they make several versions, like the Kenai, or the Epoch, or Quadrant....mine has a water carrier top center, the "bladder" is a hard shell type named "Liquifusion", and the carrier and the shoulder straps can be removed from the belt, which has large pockets at 10 and 2 O'clock, plus one larger at the center back.

Looks similar to this one...

The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermag View Post
You might look into something like the Badlands Monster Fanny Pack that is a large fanny pack with shoulder straps. For birds and small game, I'd go with a regular hunting vest with the game carrier pouch in the back.
I have a Badlands Monster fanny pack and I have been very pleased with it. It is very comfortable to wear and holds more than enough for a day hunting/stalking in the woods.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,195 Times in 3,213 Posts

Old thread but a good topic. Imo, well made equipment that can be relied upon to hold up for a lifetime under any circumstances should be a high priority . ( Maybe not a big thing for once a year ( shoot one or 2 deer and done) hunting).

I have used 2 types of equipment for hunting everywhere in the states, year around hunting, etc.....for well over 45 years now. Both below have stood the test of time in any weather for any length of time, and most of it was free in my case.....

The first = LBE ( Alice) That I modify . The " H" type suspenders or the " Y" types. I favor this to the second below in hot humid weather as you keep a bit cooler overall. Ammo pouches can hold loose rds, ammo in factory boxes, shotgun shells, and of course magazines other than 30rd ak mags lol. ( Have pouches for them as well )

The second= LBV : Although it retains a bit more heat, the lbv is more comfortable via very long term wear, and works with all the LBE items minus suspenders. Once modified, mine holds everything I need for long duration hunting that lasts more than a week in the field, in any environment, season, altitude, or weather conditions. Wide open spaces to thick undergrowth with crap that would shred cheap junk into useless rather fast. Cheap to replace if something eventually wears out over decades of use, as well as have multiple sets already set up, used ad back ups , cache programs, etc.....

Pics below show a modified LBV with my primary hunting/ shtf ...general purpose rifle. ( Not pretty or fancy, but will still function when cheap made junk fails. This includes salt water and decades of being pounded with UV rays.) It was also designed to carry much heavier loads than a typical hunter would need, and will most likely cost less than the latest " mossy oak fanny pack camel back delux " will.

Note: I bet a box of biscuits that the set up in photo is quite a bit older than a large portion of members here...lol. A few pouches on it are closer to my age no doubt.

Note: Easy to set up LBE or LBV for more specific regional hunts , give one as much " field time" as possible with thier equipment for shtf, and has no limitations concerning versatility.... ( Example......The LBV in pic above can hold several 1-2 qt canteens, or well over 260rds of 308 ammunition. ) A box of ammo and other essentials wont cause it to go to crap for decades.

Note: The newer gen MOLLE equipment we are currently issued is not built to the same standards as the older stuff was, but thier pouches also work with the Alice belt.

Note : Easy to find online or at army surplus stores and used equipment want cost much but still last for generations .

For folks who don't like that GI Joe look, but want reliable long lasting equipment in a kit bag ( fanny pack ) ...look here....

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1
Well made equipment is worth the money imo.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_172319.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	285334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171209_172610.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	285336   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180629_153715.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	285338  
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2019, 10:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,130 Times in 880 Posts

I hunt archery and rifle in PA for deer. I also hunt small game with my son. I have many jackets that depending on the season are either camo or blaze orange depending on the season. They all have one thing in common, lots of pockets. I have tried many different bags. What I have used for many years now in all seasons and while doing day hikes is a sling bag. I am right handed it hangs on my right shoulder and is on my left hip. Good for stalking, light, and comes off and hangs up easy when sitting. It is camo, waterproof, and has many pockets. I bought it off an old man at a yard sale for five dollars. It’s one item that if I leave the house to go in the outdoors it goes with me every time.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManVsLawn View Post
I am moving (bending shifting walking crouching) all day for work.

It may not be hunting/hiking, but I do get into some thick brush and tight spaces.

I really prefer a fanny pack. It can be situated anywhere, complete 360* around your body.

One can extend the belt portion and carry it cross body (similar to a sling bag) if necessary.

MvL has it.

If Iím packing a stand in somewhere, I wear the pack in front up by my chest, to I can grab glasses or windocator, whatever. It ends up slipping down, or or getting in the way otherwise. Iíll slide it around to climb... lots of options.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,738 Posts

I switched to a fanny pack years ago and never looked back. I wear it in front. Ten rds of centerfire ammo in a Federal type carrier my license and pencil fit into the front compartment, easy to get at. A folding knife and the small Gerber saw are the only ESSENTIALS for a days hunt. I also carry a tiny headlamp, firestarters, a tightly rolled mini rifle sling, drag rope, and some sugar candy are also always in the main compartment. That still leaves quite a bit of room depending on how big your pack is.