Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 72,705 Times in 22,463 Posts

Advertise Here

I pick my cars due to how easy they are to push and my guns depending on how good a club they are...
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 03:33 AM
Deplorable

Thanked 6,585 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Not to get into the fanbois war, but my G19 weighs about 31 oz loaded with 15+1. The polymer frame isn't breaking anything other than the skull it hits... and that's if I don't hit you with the steel slide.

I mean, they've dropped them out of planes. Blown them up. Shot them, etc... and they don't break. I hit you with it and it's sleepy time. Two pounds is two pounds.
If I need to hit somebody I have a perfectly good elbow for that. I am not going to pull out my pistol just to knock a person out.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,158 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I pick my cars due to how easy they are to push and my guns depending on how good a club they are...
This is the best thing said ever in the history of today. It deserves to be quoted again!

Quote:
Learn it! Live it! Love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,047 Times in 3,972 Posts

I can play the fool as well as anybody when conversations get stupidly circular. So it's easy for me to deliberately poke fun at Glocks. Because I've had 35 years of continuous ownership of that superb brand... and actually understand what I'm poking fun at. I could do the same thing to the 1911.

Glocks are good guns. The introduction of the G17 was a watershed moment in the history of handgun development. IMHO, as important as the introduction of Sam Colt's repeating percussion revolvers. The design re-set the bar for combat handguns. It tied together numerous design elements from other weapons and made them work well together...at an affordable every-man price. An aggregate improvement of the art in terms of reliability, capacity, weight savings, manufacturing costs, and user-level parts servicing. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Like Ford's Model-T. They hit it out of the ball park with a profitable and exceptionally functional product.

That said, so too with the debut of the 1911. To a degree that has allowed it to stay competitive all these decades later. Just like Glock.

Glocks are functional like hammers. Except that you can't actually use them as hammers. Unlike a steel framed 1911 that you actually can. Breaking in car windows. BTDT.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,201 Times in 2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmedman View Post
Not to get into the fanbois war, but my G19 weighs about 31 oz loaded with 15+1. The polymer frame isn't breaking anything other than the skull it hits... and that's if I don't hit you with the steel slide.

I mean, they've dropped them out of planes. Blown them up. Shot them, etc... and they don't break. I hit you with it and it's sleepy time. Two pounds is two pounds.
I DON'T know..
I saw the results of what happened when a cop hit a guy with a Model 19 S&W because it seemed to be the thing to do at the time.
The guy went lights out, but the crane and the frame were bent enough the gun had to be sent back the SMith.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 02:56 PM
Survivor

Back in the age of stubby batons, slaps, and saps. Instead of Tasers & OC.

Yeah, it's a good way to break a perfectly fine gun, but some styles take the abuse better than others.

Certainly more of a viably practical need than an unlikely requirement to baton a piece of wood with a knife.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,705 Times in 22,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post

Glocks are functional like hammers. Except that you can't actually use them as hammers. Unlike a steel framed 1911 that you actually can. Breaking in car windows. BTDT.
that guy who threw his glock 21 out a plane shot his slide with an.22 rifle repeatedly.

Pretty sure it will take a few good smacks more than your skull.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM
Survivor

I've seen a loaded and cocked & locked 1911A1 run over with a fully loaded duece-and-a-half ammo truck... then picked up and fired immediately afterwards. It was an unintentional accident. Owner was leaning over the closed tailgate of that big truck backing up, when his 1911 fell out of his unsecured tanker holster. Both rear axles went right over the gun. That shooter was deeply worried about the gun after that happened. He needn't have been. Just another day of service abuse for that old gun.

Rimfires fired into the slide of a G21? So what? Proving what point? That 40 grains of fired lead .22 bullet will splash off a quarter inch plus of steel? That's been understood since armored vehicles first became a thing. Since steel plate range targets were invented. Actually much earlier if you include the history of firearm "proofed" suits of armor. A 1911's steel slide would do the same thing.

Thrown out of an airplane? I've seen lots of things free fall out of an airplane and be recovered perfectly functional: Helmets, weapons, binoculars, MILES transmitter, cases of ammo, tires, rations, etc. Smaller objects of solid construction and little weight tend to do very well. Not much mass, terminal velocity isn't really significant unless they hit something hard like rock, and soft surfaces (plowed dirt, snow, mud, sand, or water) definitely make a huge cushioned difference in outcomes. Try dropping a G21 (or any other pistol) from an airplane onto a paved parking lot. Or off of a high rock cliff face to a rocky base.

Hell, a friend of mine fell several thousand feet into shallow wetlands grass at the leading edge of a drop zone. Into 'bout six inches of standing water, weeds, and muck. Total malfunctions of Main & Reserve canopies. Broke both wrists and cracked a few ribs, but he recovered nicely. Back to free fall jumping after he healed up.

Those kinds of "tests" simply aren't useful indicators of a pistol's durability. Especially when just about any pistol could fare as well. Like most youtube firearm "torture tests", they're mildly entertaining... and mostly meaningless.

No... I wanna see that same Glock used to smack somebody's grape, using the frame dust cover & lower muzzle as the impacting surfaces. This from a normal draw and grip, then employed in a rapid strike. Like you might need to do at interview stance distances. With aggressive energy and intent. The way old school lawmen did it for decades.

My money is on permanent & severe rail/frame damage to a G21.

Which is why, for less-than-lethal contact sports, only steel pistol's will do :
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astronomy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 08:10 AM
59840 - could fix a lot

Thanked 11,631 Times in 3,142 Posts

1911 like traditional double action revolvers have a place

1911 are for experts who understand the system and are skilled enough to make use of the advantages

revolvers have a few very specialized roles they're well suited for again with a suitably trained and skilled user to take advantage

thank me
Old 06-29-2020, 06:43 AM
Prepared

I'd take a Sig p220 over a 1911 any day. They just work, no drama.
Old 06-29-2020, 07:16 AM

IMO, no better stock trigger and no better pointing gun than a series 70 Gov't Model........
Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,513 Times in 2,944 Posts

Quote:
that guy who threw his glock 21 out a plane shot his slide with an.22 rifle repeatedly.

Pretty sure it will take a few good smacks more than your skull.
Only takes three really good hits to the noggin to bend G21 rails enough for the slide to come off. Former coworker brought me his 21 after one particularly bad shift.