Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 10,999 Times in 3,919 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
He could have bought a new Honda 2200i for less and it would run nearly twice as long on just one gallon of gas.
Honda 2200i is NOT going to run an entire restaurant.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steve_In_29 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 06:21 PM
For Conversation's Sake.

Thanked 18,002 Times in 5,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
If you are over 20 years old I have no sympathy for you.
In the least 20 years, this earth has seen a number of serious events, not to be taken lightly.
Much as I have shared with people the value of preparedness, it's too much trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFrog View Post
It also comes from a lack of common sense. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Well, most of the young adults of today grew up with all the necessities of life handed to them. They learned no survival skills except how to get a better WIFI signal or how to win at some video game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Randal View Post
I have some interaction with "young adults" (pampered snowflakes) occasionally and most of them are clueless about the real world.
These traits represent the majority of Americans across every spectrum.

What I really don't get are the "adults" that have had their entire lives to get their stuff together but turn into helpless infants when faced with anything out of their ordinary TV regiment.

Every emergency or natural disaster what do we see from these "adults"?

"Muh Pets"
"Muh Insulin"
"Muh CPAP"
"Muh Prescriptions"
"Muh Gub Check"
"Muh mobility chair"

This Country has been lacking in the self preservation department for a long time.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SeaBeeDaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 06:27 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,580 Times in 1,252 Posts

6 days without power this time and i was ready. stocked up on gas, propane and water. 4850 duel fuel generator, gas bbq and coleman stove. i filled 2- 55 gallon plastic barrels with water to flush toilet. i heated water from barrels for washing. paper plates, plastic forks and spoons and foil. i have a fireplace and plenty of wood but havent had to use it yet this year. i had gone 5 days without a few years ago and didnt have a generator, gas bbq or coleman stove and cooked in the fireplace. ALOT easier when you are prepared. i just need more firehose and i could protect my house and outbuildings myself when power goes out.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimdc For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 07:35 PM

Thanked 1,761 Times in 777 Posts

Does anybody have a theory on how long it will likely be until the next preemptive outage / how many per year?

May be a huge issue for California. Haven't seen anything in the press about that.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:34 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 6,053 Times in 1,591 Posts

Quote:
I have a couple also.
Northern tool 11,000 watt Powerhorse (assembled but not started to keep the carb clean)
Coleman Storm Commander 6500 watt
no-name 4000 watt still in box. (Bought 4 in Arkansas after the Tulsa Ice Storm around 2006 or whenever,gave 3 to co-workers at cost and hooked up their furnaces. My power didn't go out though.).
Generac 2500 watt. (old Y2k)
HF 800 watt. new in box. Threw out the older one because I left it on the deck and it got very rusty.
I DO NOT like surprises
so
2-3 times a year if we haven't lost power I first drain all the gas and then replace with fresh gas with Stabil treatment.
Then, I start the gens let them run for about half an hour.
Get out the meter and check the voltage output.
Shut them down
Check oil, and refill with new treated gas
Put them back away.
Have been doing that for about 40 years with the various generators I have owned and never had a problem with one.

The one I have had the longest is the 1800 Powermate. Been around for at least 30 years. The others, the newest is 2 years old a dual fuel 9K for the main house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,415 Times in 643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBeeDaddy View Post
These traits represent the majority of Americans across every spectrum.

What I really don't get are the "adults" that have had their entire lives to get their stuff together but turn into helpless infants when faced with anything out of their ordinary TV regiment.

Every emergency or natural disaster what do we see from these "adults"?

"Muh Pets"
"Muh Insulin"
"Muh CPAP"
"Muh Prescriptions"
"Muh Gub Check"
"Muh mobility chair"

This Country has been lacking in the self preservation department for a long time.
My Pop is a prepper. He has every possible scenario worked out short of alien invasion.

Yet during the last hurricane he forgot to get all of his pills. He came to shelter at my house with guns, ammo, all important docs, food, you name it. But he only brought his pill case with 3 to 4 days worth of his pills instead of all of them.

Granted he's 77 but he's super sharp. He just figured it'd only be 3 days. It wound up being 3 weeks. Frankly it was a case of I know better than all of you and the weathermen. He was wrong.

It took enormous efforts during the most inopportune time to acquire medicine.

I still can't believe it happened. There's certainly a lesson in arrogance here as well as the ignorance you suggest.

I think that average folks like my Pop and probably myself can suffer from both of these issues. We just have to admit it.

I'm not sure which is worse, the arrogance that you know everything that will happen, or ignorance that you've have no idea because you gave it no thought.

They sound pretty equal to me at this point.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 09:59 PM
You were the Executioner.

Thanked 1,589 Times in 482 Posts

Oh My God. Going a matter of days, a week, 10 days without power and people are losing their minds? Holy ****.

Reading that article, the publishers should be horsewhipped for fostering so much fear in people. Its like they take pleasure in terrorizing people. That article drips with malicious glee behind the fake oh so sensitive facade.

I can recount going not days but weeks or months without electricity during the hot late summer from hurricanes. And ya I'm still here. Did not freak or **** my pants and was not afraid. I could clearly see what needed to be done and figured out ways to do it. Maybe not the best or easiest ways but I got them done.

The constant harping on fear fear fear. People need to have the **** slapped out of them and told to get a grip. Fear is the biggest enemy a person can face. To become paralyzed by it and what might happen is stupid. Sorry but ya it's stupid.

Please pardon my lack of sympathy and harsh tone. Millions of people do without all over the planet and they're not filled with terror. Holy ****.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mazarine33 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 10:06 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,065 Posts

Quote:
He could have bought a new Honda 2200i for less and it would run nearly twice as long on just one gallon of gas.
Except that a 2200 generator wont run a commercial refrigerator in a restaurant.
Old 11-04-2019, 10:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,998 Times in 2,139 Posts

electricity is a luxury. Just like health care. If you can afford, you can purchase it one way or another. When times get hard people cut back on luxuries. We are experiencing that now. liberal people look to the government to come to their aid as they won't. Lets see how the California public utility commission handles this
Old 11-04-2019, 01:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,401 Times in 1,272 Posts

Quote:
Sounded like the guy was trying to run his restaurant on the genny.
The restaurant I worked at as a kid had.

2 - Walk-in Freezers
Walk-in fridge
Air conditioning
Lights
Exhaust fans.
electric griddle
toaster
Heat lamps
Warming drawers for potatoes
Big convection Oven
3 deep fryers
Commercial ice machine
smaller fridges on prep line.
Industrial dishwasher
Misc food processors, mixers, blenders.
Several coffee machines.

So that would need a big generator. probably 30 kW to limp along (or much more if running normally),or 15 times larger than a 2 kw.
Would only need to run the refrigeration units at night, but during the day we used a lot of power (and natural gas for the broilers. )
The article said he was worried about losing the food so I took that to mean he was running refrigerators and freezers.

I doubt he got a 30KW machine for $1700
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 01:47 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 71,119 Times in 21,475 Posts

Quote:
The article said he was worried about losing the food so I took that to mean he was running refrigerators and freezers.

I doubt he got a 30KW machine for $1700
He was trying to still run his restaurant according to the article, (because he needed the income). Also judging from the fuel consumption rate and my familiarity with at least 1 restaurant led me to guess it was around 30 kw.
My 11 kw unit was around $700 when I bought it on sale. It was hard to resist at that price and i figured it might run one of my central air conditioners if direct connected with short wiring.

The wording again for reference.
"Following the last blackout, he realized he couldn’t afford to be closed that long. It forced him to burn through the savings he had squirreled away for the upcoming slow months. So he hunted down a generator 100 miles away in Yuba City and paid $1,700 for it. It takes about 12 gallons of gas at a time and runs only for six hours. That means he had to come in at 3 a.m. each day or it would shut off and he would lose all his food. But gas became scarce — there were no open stations in town.

“It’s stressful,” he said. “You have to get (money) from somewhere else to continue to pay the bills.”"

12 gallons in 6 hours is a LOT.
Diesel fuel consumption chart.
https://www.dieselserviceandsupply.c...nsumption.aspx
A gasoline genny is a lot less efficient than a diesel. So yeah, maybe a 15-20 kw genny then.

it also didn't say if he bought a new or used genny.
Actually, he might have bought this one. 13 kw Powerhorse has about a 12 gal tank and if run maxxed out might only last 6 hours between fills.
Price is in line at $1800.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...4786_200664786
Old 11-04-2019, 02:14 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 6,650 Times in 1,564 Posts

Last spring during the Bomb Cyclone, we lost power for 2 days, in really cold and super windy conditions. No web surfing, email, social media..... no Survivalist Board..... No TV. It was basically like a weekend of camping, the way we do it.... boon-docking, very remote.

Heck, we talked.... we read books..... we had a great time.

I didn't fire up the big genset.... only the little one, plugged into and rotating between the frig's and freezers every several hours. We lost nothing.

These people who can't handle the conditions (with the exception of businesses that are loosing profits)..... need to use the situation as a learning opportunity and get ready. Its only going to get worse over the years and an EMP will make it happen everywhere instantly.

I think it would be wise for every family in America to flip their breaker box switch and do it for 4-7 days a year, just to learn and know whats really needed for Prep.

It's amazing what a household can do with a couple of deep cells and a 100watt solar panel and inverter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:04 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

https://youtu.be/9wf4KfqLadg
Old 11-04-2019, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,637 Times in 4,930 Posts

We live in a world (in the US at least..) where electrical power should be a given.

With the state of what is going on in California, they have slunk backwards 80 years or more in time. They are almost back to the birth of the incandescent bulb.

Blame it on the fires, like we believe that? There is more skullduggery going on than that, when in doubt, follow the money. Anyone following the $$? It has to be something wild to do something like strongarm the rate payers into a heinous hike in their utility bills.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Survivor

Thanked 32,289 Times in 4,944 Posts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big-D For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,246 Posts

You lose power, most people lose their paycheck, too.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:47 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 15,831 Times in 8,399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmas View Post
You lose power, most people lose their paycheck, too.
People loose pay checks and property and buisness go under and people get fired and probably more crimes.

Having a ratty electrical system that can't cope winds up costing more money than it takes to fix.

It will also wind up costing everyone more money. Not just California.

But I assume it will be someone else's problem and never get fixed properly.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,050 Posts

And kids are missing school [for better or worse]. Do they have 'snow days' figured into their school year? Or 'hurricane days' like we have down here.

Most teachers are paid by the month. Are they still being paid? Will they be paid more if they have to work 'extra' days to catch up with the attendence requirements?

Toss in how many cars will get repossessed because of missed payments?
Add missed mortage payments? Will folks lose their homes?
And missed rental payments? Leases broken and people thrown out of their apartments?

Increased credit card interest rates because of missed payments.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,443 Times in 2,913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready?mom View Post
We are a couple of “brain-dead liberals”. When they told us last year that we would be having outages we knew we needed to get a generator. We put in our standby generator 4 months ago and it’s working great. We started “prepping” years ago, way before it got popular. Not all liberals are waiting on free stuff and hoping for someone else to bail them out.
Left Vs Right
Positive law vs natural law
rights of the group vs individual rights
Universalism vs exceptionalism

Bold is how I grade you... ie "right".

What is that makes you think you are a "liberal"?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post
My Pop is a prepper. He has every possible scenario worked out short of alien invasion.

Yet during the last hurricane he forgot to get all of his pills. He came to shelter at my house with guns, ammo, all important docs, food, you name it. But he only brought his pill case with 3 to 4 days worth of his pills instead of all of them.

Granted he's 77 but he's super sharp. He just figured it'd only be 3 days. It wound up being 3 weeks. Frankly it was a case of I know better than all of you and the weathermen. He was wrong.

It took enormous efforts during the most inopportune time to acquire medicine.

I still can't believe it happened. There's certainly a lesson in arrogance here as well as the ignorance you suggest.

I think that average folks like my Pop and probably myself can suffer from both of these issues. We just have to admit it.

I'm not sure which is worse, the arrogance that you know everything that will happen, or ignorance that you've have no idea because you gave it no thought.

They sound pretty equal to me at this point.
I must say I see that a bit on various sites, esp when there are weather events. They say it won't be as bad as the forecast says or it won't hit their area. People will be people, with all their biases and prejudices, doesn't matter whether they are preppers or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lava For This Useful Post: