Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here

Old 10-28-2019, 10:00 PM

Default Microchipping and pet preparedness! anyone do this?

Advertise Here

I live in Oklahoma Wich is a very tornado prone area. I have 2 dogs and cat ATM. All microchipped. I also have tags for their collars with info to contact me at. Do anyone else do this for disaster preparedness for their animal companions? Do you use something else ? I'm a believer that I am going to survive, so are my beloved pets! Any other ideas for pet people in a disaster prone area?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarkLightHealer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 10:10 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,778 Times in 3,596 Posts

Here are 3 SurvivalistBoard threads concerning dog/cat preparedness, BOB, etc.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=385770

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=386891

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=917566

I'm better prepped for my critters than for people A big part of that is I don't prep for TEOTWAWKI, and during *regular* SHTF (like tornadoes, etc.), stuff for pets has a much lower priority than stuff for people.

Happy reading
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 08:39 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,634 Times in 4,929 Posts

Good to think of our pets. My little cat was a feral, good luck getting a collar on him... he's chipped, so is my older cat. She has a tag on her collar too. Those you need to look at now and then to make sure the info is correct and is legible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2019, 11:05 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,836 Times in 13,236 Posts

Everyone is chipped, everyone wears a collar. And this year for Christmas they are all getting geotags. No kids, so we prepare for our fur babies. We also live in tornado alley and train every dog from a pup to wear boots and protective gear. They know once we are in the safe room, they get geared up for the worst.
One of your preps should be a little red wagon or if they are small enough a body carrier in case one gets injured during a BO. The other thing is be sure and put together a vet FAK - make sure you don't keep in an identical container as the reg FAK.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 11:27 AM
Survivor

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,362 Posts

My cats are all chipped. It's going to be FUBAR getting a train wreck in a wheelchair, me, and 6 cats out of the house in a disaster. Someone may get away. But they are all chipped.

My Vet uses Home Again which allows me to edit their info, when one cat developed FLUTD this year (medical condition that can easily kill) I was able to put that on his chip data along with the food he must eat. When a cat dies I can edit that information. I can also put information like "very shy" into their information to help. I have a mother cat with two nearly grown kittens so I could put for them to be kept together.

We live in flood country. We will wait out any hurricane or weather event but if we are badly flooded we may have to leave. At least this way I have better odds of getting my cats back. Really important for my husband as he is very bonded to Baby Girl.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,347 Times in 1,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLightHealer View Post
I live in Oklahoma Wich is a very tornado prone area. I have 2 dogs and cat ATM. All microchipped. I also have tags for their collars with info to contact me at. Do anyone else do this for disaster preparedness for their animal companions? Do you use something else ? I'm a believer that I am going to survive, so are my beloved pets! Any other ideas for pet people in a disaster prone area?
Both of our fur kids are rescues. We store their carriers under the bed with the doors propped open and a comfy bed made up in them. Any Temptations treats we give them for being good when their claws must be trimmed, etc. are placed in the carriers so the girls are used to going into them. They recognize their carriers as a dark, safe, cozy place where can come and go as they please.

They have developed the habit of going into their carriers and hiding under the bed during thunderstorms. We have no problems getting them into their carriers to take them to the vet. All I have to do is go into the bedroom, crinkle the Temptations bag and they both go into their carriers to wait for their treat.

And yes, they are both chipped.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CaliAndTiggerAtDaddysChair.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	293406  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 03:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,820 Times in 827 Posts

Chips will mean little if there is no Internet to share the info during a scan.
Old 10-29-2019, 03:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 5,036 Times in 1,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Both of our fur kids are rescues. We store their carriers under the bed with the doors propped open and a comfy bed made up in them. Any Temptations treats we give them for being good when their claws must be trimmed, etc. are placed in the carriers so the girls are used to going into them. They recognize their carriers as a dark, safe, cozy place where can come and go as they please.

They have developed the habit of going into their carriers and hiding under the bed during thunderstorms. We have no problems getting them into their carriers to take them to the vet. All I have to do is go into the bedroom, crinkle the Temptations bag and they both go into their carriers to wait for their treat.

And yes, they are both chipped.

This is brilliant, Outpost! I have been struggling with how I would get my ankle-biters into their crates in a sudden emergency. Want to make it their "safe space" (forgive me, college students). Thank you!

The ASPCA also has a sticker you can put on your door alerting emergency crews that there are pets and how to contact you. It's "free" (no such thing as free lunch of course).

https://secure.aspca.org/take-action...et-safety-pack

I am doing it today.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 04:13 PM
Indefatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy29 View Post
This is brilliant, Outpost! I have been struggling with how I would get my ankle-biters into their crates in a sudden emergency. Want to make it their "safe space" (forgive me, college students). Thank you!

The ASPCA also has a sticker you can put on your door alerting emergency crews that there are pets and how to contact you. It's "free" (no such thing as free lunch of course).

I am doing it today.
Another precaution - I bought mine at the feed store - a card for your wallet that says "I have (x) pets home alone, please call this number....."
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 04:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,872 Times in 6,445 Posts

Yes all except the barn cats are chipped.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:33 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo View Post
Everyone is chipped, everyone wears a collar. And this year for Christmas they are all getting geotags. No kids, so we prepare for our fur babies. We also live in tornado alley and train every dog from a pup to wear boots and protective gear. They know once we are in the safe room, they get geared up for the worst.
One of your preps should be a little red wagon or if they are small enough a body carrier in case one gets injured during a BO. The other thing is be sure and put together a vet FAK - make sure you don't keep in an identical container as the reg FAK.
Never thought of boots for my two larger dogs. May have to check that out to keep those feet free of debris in a tornado.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CoopFrog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 05:05 PM
Indefatigable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopFrog View Post
Never thought of boots for my two larger dogs. May have to check that out to keep those feet free of debris in a tornado.
I haven't tried them, I need to, they now have stick on paw protectors that are supposed to be exceptionally rugged. Search dogs wear them, they even have special ones for x-tra hot surfaces and others for traction on ice. Mine are already used having their boots put on, I'm not sure how they would react to having something stuck to their pads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:

I am doing it today.

Can robbers, burglars, thieves, etc. access the contact info?

I just have the stickers on windows/doors that indicates how many dogs and cats in case of fire. No contact info on the stickers. Got 'em at PetSupplies Plus... PetSmart, PetCo, etc. also have them
Old 10-29-2019, 07:02 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Can robbers, burglars, thieves, etc. access the contact info?
I thought of that but then again, what do I care of a would-be thief had our emergency cell phone number?

Downside? I often am obtuse so what am I overlooking?
Old 10-29-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I thought of that but then again, what do I care of a would-be thief had our emergency cell phone number?

Downside? I often am obtuse so what am I overlooking?
Easier to determine whether or not you're home, how long you're likely to be gone, how far away you are... not hard to infect a cell phone with tracking malware via text/email, call you and claim *wrong number,* or pretend to be an entity you'd give info to, etc., etc., etc.

Also one more piece of information for identity thieves (cell phone can be associated with address, which, along with your name, etc.) is *probably* being sold on-line (Checkmate, BeenVerified, etc.). Could be a huge issue if they know what bank(s) you use if you use cell phone authentication. Not hard to spoof a number, either yours or someone else's, to trick you or someone else into giving information

I'm not a tech guru, but I have been cautioned about various ways a cell phone can be a huge safety/security issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 12:04 PM
Hunter

Gotcha OldFart. Thanks for that.

I AM a tech person (a pusher, but no longer a user), so I only have a dumb phone for emergencies. I don't use it for anything other than that, so there's nothing to trace - not even a greeting. It's not tied to any part of my identity. If it got lost tomorrow, I would just buy another one.

But I can see for those who do live with their phones as increasingly integrated parts of their lives, that these are things to take under consideration. Folks should be careful out there! Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy29 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Gotcha OldFart. Thanks for that.

I AM a tech person (a pusher, but no longer a user), so I only have a dumb phone for emergencies. I don't use it for anything other than that, so there's nothing to trace - not even a greeting. It's not tied to any part of my identity. If it got lost tomorrow, I would just buy another one.

But I can see for those who do live with their phones as increasingly integrated parts of their lives, that these are things to take under consideration. Folks should be careful out there! Thank you!

dumb flip phone
Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticAmerican View Post

A lot of working dogs had ear tattoos before there were chips. Not foolproof (some had their ears cut off by ****ing thieves/dog-nappers Another option is a belly tattoo like some vets do when they spay a bitch.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM
Prepared

Chip your pets if you can. Recently my redbone hound was stolen. A man called me and wanted money to give her back. I knew it was a scam. He wanted money through money app. I turned all the information I had to the police department. Using the phone number and my utilities computer at work, I tracked down a name and address. For hunting dogs in AR I had to have my name, address and phone number on the tags. The thieves where makeing threats. Apparently the PD was putting pressure on the thugs. PD picked my dog up yesterday and the shelter IDed her through microchip. I got my dog back after 3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Stop YOLOing

Thanked 7,548 Times in 2,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticAmerican View Post
Sure, but for the other times--like every single day since these chips were invented--it's a good prep. Tornadoes and hurricanes are a lot more likely than total apocalypse, and it's a little silly to avoid a prep because it's useful in "only" 99+% of cases.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Just Jeff For This Useful Post: