Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Highly durable, waterproof Faraday bags with tested shielding effectiveness Dave_C Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 20 01-10-2018 03:47 PM
ALICE Pack Help Lt. Willy Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 31 10-23-2017 10:01 AM
Germinating beans stored in mylar bags kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 4 03-10-2017 11:06 AM
Small air pocket in sealed Mylar bags brianf Food and water 3 02-05-2017 06:52 PM
Tactical packs, gun cases, range bags on sale @Field Supply from $9.99 ($3.99 S/H) apps47inc For Sale 0 11-09-2016 05:23 PM

Old 05-21-2019, 04:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,490 Times in 3,369 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
If you want to carry mags while somewhat blending in, why not a separate bag. These aren't cheap, but US and hand made, and they have lots of options:

http://www.hawkepaks.com/level.itml/icOid/221

I'm not spending any additional money for my own setup, but if I was, I'd look into something like the ITOA, or mini mag cache, as solely a mag holder. You can get the bigger bags for both ammo and other gear.

Somehow or another I wound up with their micro gunpak 2. Found it on sale somewhere real cheap, so I bought it. Never used it for anything, but the quality is outstanding. Thick, durable nylon, very heavy duty zippers; if that one bag is indicative of their overall quality, then they are leaders of well made bags. Better than anything 511 or voodoo. I do believe one of their bags has been officially issued to the mil/NATO.

After all these posts I don't even remember what setup you're looking to make.....but if I was carrying my travel AR in it's 'discreet' bag in my truck, and some kind of SHTF and I actually needed a rifle, then I would have the ITOA or mini mag cache stuffed with rifle/pistol mags.

Additionally, you can get any kind of shoulder or sling bag, or one of the hawke's bigger bags, and carry both ammo and other gear without looking too tactical. Hawke's bags can look like heavy duty laptop bags.
Good info regarding those bags you mentioned. ( Plenty of ideas towards making my own)

Great ideas for toting rifles in a more discreet fashion here as well.

In this case, Im looking at discreet methods to carry a " pistol" chambered in an intermediate rifle cartridge instead of a rifle for more urban environments .....essentially.

While Im still rather new towards this idea, headway has been made so far. A few reasons as to why Im interested in this project.....

1. This is a pistol, so falls under regulations there in.......such as certain areas of the country where CCW permits cover legal carry of a loaded pistol, but where it is illegal to transport a loaded rifle or shotgun in a vehicle.

2. Mags, cleaning equipment, ammo, etc...interchange with this pistol and all the AK rifles I already have. Our group as a whole uses this type of firearm as well.

3. Since it consistently produces a muzzle velocity at around 2200fps ( with certain loads), it is not that far from an AK rifle. At the same time, this pistol outclasses all the more common pistol caliber carbines in every respect except in the " compact category), and has twice the practical effective range via smoothbore shotguns...too include the use of slugs. 10, 20, 30,40 rd mags along with 75rd drums either match and in most cases surpass the others in terms of capacity.
The short story here = It has already replaced all of both in the use as a home defense ( inside), PDW ( use in and around our farm), and as a hunting/ pest eradication tool from pointblank out to 200 yards plus.

4. A rifle compared to a pistol like this one does not seem to have an advantage when it comes to the ability to have it on your person 24/7 in a more discreet fashion. ( From my outlook at it so far). The types of bags required to carry a rifle or carbine seem to stand out more in a crowd to me. Although certain rifles can be partially disassembled/ folded in half, or a specific " takedown" feature per design, my preference leans towards a type that could be utilized regardless of if the stock or brace is in a " folded or open" state.

5. Worst case scenario....and if this happens to be one of 2 firearms I have with me while away from home...if some WROL situation rapidly developed......there would be no reason to retrieve a " truck gun" from the truck/ if the only avenue left was walking home.
Short story here= A replacement for the " truck gun" as well.

6. Personal preference towards the AK design over " others" in the same class. In my case, it is more of an AK vs AK for this purpose.... ( Below pic shows the pistol next to rifle with stock folded.)
Note: Am also planning to acquire a folding brace for the pistol once I finish evaluating the current brace.

11B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190215_150748.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	287360  
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2019, 05:11 PM

I have this first aid +, gun bag in my trunk, mine is slightly larger and even fits my Glock 41

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoors-Prod.../dp/B00JH4VYEQ
The Following User Says Thank You to rgerhead For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2019, 07:55 AM
HMFIC

Thanked 2,034 Times in 707 Posts

Well, hell has finally frozen over, and I got a pistol AR, and I'm reviving this thread. I traded an aimpoint and 200rnds of 223 for it; otherwise I never would have thought about it. It's a PSA build, afghan lower, with some kind of nickel-boron trigger group. The accessories I added from stuff I already had. So I didn't spend a dime on it, which is exactly what I was looking for. This, along with my shockwave, will be my truck/travel gun. If I ever go anywhere.

the bag is a 'range maxx discreet', although it still, obviously, looks like a gun bag. It's got a divided interior, with pouches for 2 30rnd mags; I have just one 30rnd in this bag. I have a 20rnd in the gun, with SP defensive ammo. All the other ammo is surplus 193, since I really don't think you can get the velocity out of a short barrel to effectively use good SPs or HPs that fragment.

since I didn't want to spend a dime on this loadout, I'm using stuff I already had laying around. Having a bag fetish, I had an assortment. My mother gave me this one....says she got it from the marine corp museum giftshop. It's definitely not 'tactical' or heavy duty in any way, but it's a pretty neat little bag. It's got a big belt loop on the back, to loop through your belt for stability.

the rear zippered pouch holds 2 mags nicely, although they're not secured.

the main pouch now holds some old voodoo tac gloves, and the weapon light that attaches to a MOE rail on the forearm. It's big enough to hold plenty more, since if I'll ever actually need this loadout, I'll be wearing the gloves and attach the light. It'll also function as a dump pouch for spent mags, if need be.

The other compartments hold a gunshot specific aid kit, a small general aid kit, another AA light, and some small odds and ends. The loadout isn't done for good, of course. Depending on what I'm carrying and where I'm going, I can always through a spare mag or 2 for the pistol I happen to have at the time, and if I go into a 'hot zone' for whatever reason, there's plenty room for more AR mags.

Looking at the situation objectively, there's a 99% chance I'll never actually use any of this gear.....so that being said, and considering my current financial crisis, I wasn't looking to spend much, if anything, on this setup. All I bought was the MOE rail adapter....everything else I had laying around. I'd love a nice hawkepacks QND or ITOA pack, but didn't want to spend the money. This bag looks about the same size as the ITOA, and fulfills the same basic function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EchoMirage For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,490 Times in 3,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoMirage View Post
Well, hell has finally frozen over, and I got a pistol AR, and I'm reviving this thread. I traded an aimpoint and 200rnds of 223 for it; otherwise I never would have thought about it. It's a PSA build, afghan lower, with some kind of nickel-boron trigger group. The accessories I added from stuff I already had. So I didn't spend a dime on it, which is exactly what I was looking for. This, along with my shockwave, will be my truck/travel gun. If I ever go anywhere.

the bag is a 'range maxx discreet', although it still, obviously, looks like a gun bag. It's got a divided interior, with pouches for 2 30rnd mags; I have just one 30rnd in this bag. I have a 20rnd in the gun, with SP defensive ammo. All the other ammo is surplus 193, since I really don't think you can get the velocity out of a short barrel to effectively use good SPs or HPs that fragment.

since I didn't want to spend a dime on this loadout, I'm using stuff I already had laying around. Having a bag fetish, I had an assortment. My mother gave me this one....says she got it from the marine corp museum giftshop. It's definitely not 'tactical' or heavy duty in any way, but it's a pretty neat little bag. It's got a big belt loop on the back, to loop through your belt for stability.

the rear zippered pouch holds 2 mags nicely, although they're not secured.

the main pouch now holds some old voodoo tac gloves, and the weapon light that attaches to a MOE rail on the forearm. It's big enough to hold plenty more, since if I'll ever actually need this loadout, I'll be wearing the gloves and attach the light. It'll also function as a dump pouch for spent mags, if need be.

The other compartments hold a gunshot specific aid kit, a small general aid kit, another AA light, and some small odds and ends. The loadout isn't done for good, of course. Depending on what I'm carrying and where I'm going, I can always through a spare mag or 2 for the pistol I happen to have at the time, and if I go into a 'hot zone' for whatever reason, there's plenty room for more AR mags.

Looking at the situation objectively, there's a 99% chance I'll never actually use any of this gear.....so that being said, and considering my current financial crisis, I wasn't looking to spend much, if anything, on this setup. All I bought was the MOE rail adapter....everything else I had laying around. I'd love a nice hawkepacks QND or ITOA pack, but didn't want to spend the money. This bag looks about the same size as the ITOA, and fulfills the same basic function.
The second bag you pictured is interesting, as it does not possess any tactical or commando looking features....plus it looks as if it does the job of securing your pistol.

Not much first hand here using 223 defensive ammo out of tubes as short as what you have.

7.62x39mm loads such as Hornady Black 123gr SST works very well ( vs feral hogs) from a 10.5in tube, and does not suffer a big velocity loss compared to a 16in bbl WASR10.

11B
The Following User Says Thank You to fragout For This Useful Post: