I'm sick of all the annoying calls - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What do you do when sick? sonya1 General Discussion 69 10-07-2018 09:21 PM
Gaming headphones for multi-use (gaming, music, phone calls, etc.)? zuren The Tech Zone 6 08-20-2018 07:50 PM
Best Turkey calls? survivalchick Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 5 04-18-2018 10:09 AM
Shady pyramid schemes - I'm sick of them... leadcounsel Financial Forum 20 08-07-2017 11:03 AM

Old 12-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Lone Wolf

Default I'm sick of all the annoying calls

Advertise Here

Does anyone else have this problem? I still have a landline and have been getting an ungodly amount of stupid calls lately. It seems like we've always had quite a few of these annoying calls where some indian sounding person asking for someone (whose name is similar to mine, but not exactly) who lives at my address or a computerize voice saying "this is heather from card services". Sometimes there is just a beep and then a voice saying "goodbye". I usually just hang up on them, but started telling the person that they have the wrong number and no one by that names lives here, etc. I've even been getting these calls on my cellphone. Is there any way to stop this? It's really getting out of hand. They literally come every 15-30 minutes and I'm over it.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,755 Times in 8,347 Posts

Don't answer the phone. That's what I do. If I am not expecting an unknown call I send it to voicemail.

I worked in an office and there is something very liberating about rejecting a call.

Ask yourself why you even have the landline anyway. How much are you spending on it? And it is giving you how much grief?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:47 PM
Lone Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Don't answer the phone. That's what I do. If I am not expecting an unknown call I send it to voicemail.

I worked in an office and there is something very liberating about rejecting a call.

Ask yourself why you even have the landline anyway. How much are you spending on it? And it is giving you how much grief?
Trust me I'm giving SERIOUS thought to cancelling it. However even if I don't answer the call it still rings off the hook. I mainly have the landline because 1. I've have it for 30+ years and 2. The cell service around here is bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodsman 16 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,706 Times in 4,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman 16 View Post
Does anyone else have this problem? I still have a landline and have been getting an ungodly amount of stupid calls lately. It seems like we've always had quite a few of these annoying calls where some indian sounding person asking for someone (whose name is similar to mine, but not exactly) who lives at my address or a computerize voice saying "this is heather from card services". Sometimes there is just a beep and then a voice saying "goodbye". I usually just hang up on them, but started telling the person that they have the wrong number and no one by that names lives here, etc. I've even been getting these calls on my cellphone. Is there any way to stop this? It's really getting out of hand. They literally come every 15-30 minutes and I'm over it.
1) Get rid of the landline. It's a waste of money.
2) Block each call as it comes to your cell phone. Should be a feature on your phone. I stopped a local junk caller entirely that way.
3) There is nothing you can do about the "Unknown Number" caller ID calls.
4) If the caller is foreign, Indian, Pakastani, etc. I act like an incredibly old person and tell them my refrigerator is acting strange. They stop calling after that.
5) If the caller is "Heather from card services" I push 0 or whatever number they recommend, get a person on the line and ask them remove my number. They usually hang up but I do it again and again if I have the time.

My favorite are the Indian people who claim to be from Microsoft.

Patel: Hello sir, this is Dave Smith with Microsoft. There is a bad virus on your Windows computer. Please go to this URL immediately! www._

Old Man Me: There's something out the window? What? Who?

Patel: No sir, on your computer. Please go to www.-

Old Man Me: Someone's computer is out the window? Who did that?

Patel: (Now laughing): Sir, I need to fix your computer. Do you have a computer with Windows?

Old Man Me: No, you said the computer was outside. Did I win the clearing house lottery thing?

Patel: Hangs up while babbling in some foreign tongue to his coworkers in the sweat shop.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to comdot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,419 Times in 2,022 Posts

I love to mess with them.
1- When I worked ems full time, they would call the station. I always asked where there Emergency was, they acted confused and I asked what there address was. Even more confused, I would usually get an address and offer to have an ambulance respond to them if they tell me the problem.
2- Credit cards - one of 2 responses
A- “Do I have to pay this back? They expected me to pay the last one, after they said it was a free card!”
B- “You want to give cards out? I have 3000 employees, where do I send the list?”
3- I start asking crazy questions, about conspiracy theories. They usually hang up.

“you need to move out here. I work much cheaper”, tedlovesjeeps71 ; 2018

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so spelling is probably horrible.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:41 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 20,019 Times in 6,767 Posts

There are call blocker gadgets that will only allow calls you whitelist to come through. It requires that you have caller ID on your landline. It doesn't send them to voicemail - the call apparently never completes.

One guy I know has a gizmo that tells you enter a one-digit number to get past the blocker, which robocallers can't do.

The so-called "do not call list" is a joke, so forget that.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,840 Times in 1,680 Posts

Quote:
Trust me I'm giving SERIOUS thought to cancelling it. However even if I don't answer the call it still rings off the hook. I mainly have the landline because 1. I've have it for 30+ years and 2. The cell service around here is bad.
I understand what you mean by spotty service. Most of the time if I don't want to drop calls I have to go outside to talk and a lot of the time drive my truck to the road. Don't have the landline anymore though.

I think it has something to do with what you are doing on your cell. A good example of this is that AT Least 4 times a week my wife gets a call saying that her warranty is expired on her car and she can get extended.

Well no **** it's an 03 the good lord only knows when it had a warranty last. I have only had one. I was walking out of the hospital she was in at the time 100 miles away and her phone rang (was going out to car to charge it before I went home to come back next morning and a cord was on the list) and as soon as I hung up on them my phone rang and it was the same thing.

I have no idea how that works but I had both phones in pockets and I have never had one of those calls before or since. I think it is proximity to another person that is doing stupid stuff on the net that is getting you those calls and it can all be tracked back.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:57 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,398 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by comdot View Post
1) Get rid of the landline. It's a waste of money
I've maintained a landline and kept the same number for 20-ish years, but that's about to get canceled. My life circumstances no longer really require having it, and I am looking forward to the savings.
Old 12-10-2018, 04:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,704 Times in 6,738 Posts

Heres my solution and it works for me, so your milage may vary.

1. I NEVER give out my number when asked for it. I simply make one up. I only give it out if it's for official business (ie my CCW permit or the DMV). Even when I buy something online. If they really need me the can email my fake/junk email I gave them.

2. Dont answer your phone. I get very few calls from people I know so if I dont recognize the number it goes to voicemail. If its important they'll leave a message.

This is hard to do because we've been conditioned to answer a ringing phone. Resist your training.

I used to get calls all the time. Now I get 1 or 2 every six months or so.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRyan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:00 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,901 Times in 2,690 Posts

Some actual privacy laws could benefit the US.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:03 PM
Trump is Treasonous

Thanked 19,169 Times in 5,053 Posts

Most of those calls are scam artists, I set my phone to ring once and then it goes to voicemail where it just says leave a message, nothing else. No message ever gets left. Its rare that anyone I know calls my landline or mobile number. I do not answer the phone unless its someone I know and if someone I don't know leaves a message it simply gets deleted
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalashnikov47 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:06 PM
Retired kafir

Thanked 51,077 Times in 11,715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawami II View Post
A good example of this is that AT Least 4 times a week my wife gets a call saying that her warranty is expired on her car and she can get extended.
I got those as well. Different number each time. I blocked the various ones on my prepaid cell phone and so far, so good. All in all that has been the only robo-calls I ever get. Pre-paid costs me 10˘ per minute, but I can usually make $50 last three months.

By the way, my old phone, which was working just fine, suddenly had a very difficult time making a connection. Had to find a specific spot on my deck in order to call T-mobile customer support. Turns out they switched from 3G to 4G which my old phone didn't support. New 4G phone works fine.
Old 12-10-2018, 05:15 PM
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Thanked 10,287 Times in 3,956 Posts

100% of home phone calls are sent to voicemail through call protect. I get a daily summary of filtered calls. It averages about 20. If a call makes it through the filter to voice mail I get an e-mail and text that there is a new message. About 3/4 of them are empty. If you cannot be bothered to leave a message I cannot be bothered to call you back.

Having said all that, at those places that may actually need to contact me I set the preferred method of contact to e-mail.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDH For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:28 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,082 Times in 21,275 Posts

check out
www.nomorobo.com
Works on VOIP home phones as well as cell phones.

You should be able to keep your landline phone number and switch to a VOIP.
Magic jack is only like $2/month if you buy a couple years in advance. Works great. I tried it out almost as a gag 3 yrs ago.
I had vonage before that. Vonage costs about 3 times what magic jack costs. True landlines are kinda rare these days. Way overpriced.

For cell phones I use the ShouldIanswer APP. Works pretty well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 33,183 Times in 7,996 Posts

OP apparently needs the landline due to bad cell service. And it's a 30-year reliable way to reach him.

Here's my suggestion.

1. Sign up for a do-not-call list, nationally.
2. Then either turn off the ringer. Or alternately if a telemarketer calls, record the number (or highlight it on your bill), and ask the telemarketer for their name of their company. Then threaten legal action.

Other good suggestions
* Don't sign up for anything and don't give out phone number for any business or etc...
* Set phone for 1 ring or 0 rings and automatic voicemail. Tell friends to leave message.
* Have friends text message you - those work usually even in poor reception areas. Then call back - like a pager.

I feel your pain. My phone rings often and I block about 1-2 numbers per day on my cellphone.

Nuisance calls, emails, online popup ads, junk mail... so aggravating. I spend probably 1-5 minutes daily attempting to be left alone by marketers.
That's 10-35 minutes per week. Over a year, that's at least a full working day!!!! Wasted.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Freedom Freeloader

We still have a land line, mostly because we have family overseas. At night, our cell phones go on silent (except for the alarm clock function). Family and friends know to call land line at night.

Also, the land line number is the one we give out when we just HAVE to give a number on a form.

And it's VOIP, so not expensive.

Yes, we get those sales calls... But not on our cell phones!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to TimBob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:40 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,873 Times in 1,503 Posts

I was in the same situation with my landline a few years back.

I have always had a landline to my house, because my DSL internet goes over it.

Deactivated the phone part about six years ago. I decided last year to reactivate, with the same phone number I always had.

Even though my number was unpublished, and hadn't been used or given out for six years or more, I immediately started getting calls.

That tells me it's random computer controlled dialing going on.

The suggestions to tell them not to call back, to threaten legal action, etc., won't help. These companies spring-up like mushrooms, change their names, are from overseas, and can disappear overnight. So such threats mean nothing to them. And you're still getting calls in the meantime.

What you want is a hands-free approach that blocks calls before you even get them.

Here's a couple suggestions:

1) Check with your phone company about call blocking options. They have several available. They might allow automatic blocking of anonymous caller ID calls.

What I did, was set it so that I could only receive calls from certain numbers. My phone provider has a website where you can add or remove numbers from the list on your phone number. If you only want to receive calls from certain people (such as friends or relatives), you can add them to the allow list. Not sure if this is what you want, but it's one sure way to stop the unwanted calls. It totally eliminated the problem for me.

2) DON'T give out your phone number for such things are free offers, marketings in the mail, etc.

3) Sign-up for NoMoRobo. (www.nomorobo.com). It's a service that for a minimal fee blocks marketing calls. It works by when someone calls your number, it diverts the call to nomorobo. Their software determines if it's a legit call, or a marketer. It does this during the first ring. If it's legit, it sends it to your phone. It works for most major phone providers, but check if it does for yours.
The Following User Says Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

Are you ready for this one...???

I am now getting calls from my own phone number...
My cell phone shows the number calling me, and it is my own number!
I have not answered it because I already talk to myself too much.

But all joking aside, it is showing up as my number...Anyone have this happen to them, and did you answer it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to solar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Nomorobo dot com!

It's free, for land lines and is available for a fee on cellphones.

I've been using it for years and it works fantastic. Once you set it up it blocks all telemarketers and blocked numbers. It allows other calls, you know, people you actually want to talk to, to ring on through. The telemarketers number will ring once and then the call is blocked.

Give it a look!

Last edited by SeaEagle; 12-10-2018 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to SeaEagle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2018, 06:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,463 Times in 1,886 Posts

The other day I got a call from an irate lady asking why I had just called her and that she wasn't buying anything. I tried to explain to her that I didn't call her, in fact I hadn't touched my phone since the day before. She hung up on me before I could finish.

A few hours later another call, this time from some guy yelling at me to stop calling him. Again I hadn't made a call since the day before.

Then another call, and another one. All people mad because I was supposedly calling them.

Seems some telemarketer was spoofing my number making it look like I was calling them.

If I recall there's someone on this board who does telemarketing. Can they explain why they think it's OK to do this?