Survivalist Forum banner

Garden Planning for 2018

1K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  S610 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm prepping my garden area and starting to make list of plants that I want to do this summer in the garden.

I was wondering what was on everyone else's list. So far I have broccoli, kale, asparagus, rosemary, tomatoes, jalapenos...I have room for a few more plants that's about it.

What's on your list for this year's garden?

#3 ·
Early crops include broccoli, collards, and snow peas (just planted). Spring crops are tomatoes, peppers, green beans, cucumbers, parsley, basil, chamomile, tobacco, and a few different medicinal herbs. Hope to get a good crop of San Marzano tomatoes and jar pasta sauce (first time), also want to jar a bunch of pepperoncini.

This year I want to start fall broccoli, collards, peas, etc...in July for mid August planting and try for a good fall/winter crop too.

#5 ·
For years I did a big garden that fed my large family. Almost everyone has gone on their way now and I'm left with only three of us in the house now. Really a readjustment for me! I've spent my whole life with a houseful and don't know what to do.

Last year I did very little gardening but I really missed a lot of things I usually put up. So this year I'm determined to get my favourites in. Cukes and zukes will be a must. I love those spicy pickles. I missed the slicing t 'maters big time. Buying tomatoes just irritates me and store bought just isn't as good. And I'm putting in those raspberries I've been wanting forever!

#6 ·
Oh zucchini! I forgot about those! I have to have them! I love them...

I'm running out of room in my garden space at the cabin. My MIL offered us some of her garden area, but her dogs don't stay out of it and I'm afraid they will just tear up the plants...that's what they do now.

There is so much that I want to plant...I hope I can find the room. My list keeps growing! LOL!

#8 ·
If you google "vegetable seed companies" there are a ton of them. Maybe look at some in your geographical area as they should carry stuff that grows best where you are. And check your local feed & seed store. That's the cheapest way to get the hang of starting seeds if you're just getting into it.

I buy from about five seed companies to get all the varieties I want and it varies year to year. Some of my usuals are Southern Exposure (for regional seed), Baker Creek (for the odd stuff), Jung, Pinetree, Shumway (good prices on the old basics) and this year Willhite. Can't forget the local feed & seed store. Territorial has good stuff and a wonderfully informative catalog but the cost of shipping from the PNW got way too high so I dropped them.

#11 ·
This year I bought all of my seeds on ebay from other home gardeners (though I do get some super common varieties at the feed store).

Reason I like ebay is because they have a lot of hard to find varieties, and the prices are often much cheaper than a seed catalog. For instance pepperoncini seeds are $4.50 at Eden Brothers (plus shipping), or 20 seeds for $1.55 on ebay (with free shipping).

I can't use a large packet anyway since pepper seeds often won't germinate after the first year, but so far my packet of 20 seeds has had a 90% germination rate (and I am starting most all of them, will give away the extra plants since it is an uncommon variety). I do start all of the peppers in plastic bags to increase the germination rate and avoid having to thin plants.

#14 ·
I am a novice gardener, but I had great success last summer growing Oregon Spring tomatoes in Earthboxes. I'm going to do it again this summer.

Also, this year will be the first year for my in-ground garden. Since I'm new to gardening, I'm going to keep it simple: potatoes, onions and radishes.

And, I'm going to try growing black oil sunflowers. I want to harvest the seeds and make sunflower oil. I'll get a small, manual oil press.

I'm tempted to try growing corn, but experienced gardeners here in my area seem to have trouble with corn. I'll probably put that off for a year or two.

#17 ·
I backed off a bit the last year or two to really get my orchard and chickens rolling, but this year I'd like to re-divert some of that energy back to the garden.

I will definitely be starting everything for myself this year again, last year's attempt to use purchased plants was kind of miserable. Most of them were very poorly hardened.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.