Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rare AR: Barrett REC7 AR15 Pistol Build AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 06-14-2017 06:30 PM
Law Tactical AR15 Folding Stock Adapter and AR Pistols AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-19-2017 01:00 PM
SALE: PSA M4 16" = $462 and range review Neut Anderson Rifle Forum 2 04-24-2017 12:08 PM
The Data Driven AR15: Or Why the Best AR15’s are Data Driven john1969 Rifle Forum 14 02-27-2017 01:22 PM
Review: San Tan Tactical STT-15 AR15 PILLAR Upper and Lower Receiver Set AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-14-2016 12:00 PM

Old 09-20-2017, 08:44 PM
Prepared

Default Mandatory PSA AR15 upgrades?

Advertise Here

Finally joined the AR family with a recent purchase of a PSA Freedom MOA M4 carbine. Are there any "mandatory" upgrades that I need to look at? Comes with F marked FSB and MBUS rear sights. Obviously need mags and ammo but otherwise seems like a solid no-frills setup. Not looking to spend a ton of money, just want something reliable.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2017, 12:03 AM
Viva la revolution!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,486 Posts

I really like the gun you got, no modification necessary.

I do however like optical sights and a really good trigger. The trigger they come with is fine, im just a trigger snob!

Welcome to the club!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Guntoteninfadel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,351 Times in 2,902 Posts

The only thing I would change is the pistol grip to a overmolded grip, just personal preference otherwise congrats on a GTG AR.

I use this grip and it just feels better.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/11...grooves-rubber
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2017, 12:43 AM
Adventurer

Congrats! You already mentioned the mandatory upgrades needed, mags and ammo. I make it a point to buy ammo weekly so my stash grows and you can't have too many mags either.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,392 Posts

Add a sling.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fenrell For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 10:47 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,678 Times in 635 Posts

Make sure to by a quality cleaner, lube and protectant, like BreakFree CLP or similar and save this schematic and follow it. "G" = generous and "L" = light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-5.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	227737  
The Following User Says Thank You to bigg777 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,119 Times in 1,087 Posts

PSA also offers an upgraded trigger assembly for $30. It is nickel boron coated and polished. I have it in one of my AR15s and will be putting it in the others as weel. I think it is worth it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clc79092 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 01:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 45,523 Times in 13,325 Posts

in order of descending importance imo

-sling

-better trigger (I'm thinking somewhat less than the standard 7-8lbs, but still combat practical. maybe 3-4lbs)

-optics, of a type best suited for the intended role. red dot/holo for short range.
The Following User Says Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2017, 06:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,864 Times in 637 Posts

I recommend a good sling, mag holder for stock, and weapon mounted light.

I don't mind iron sights, but optics are find.

Magazines are inexpensive right now, so stock up, and then buy more! Don't forget ammo!
Old 09-22-2017, 06:06 PM
Prepared

Thanks guys! I did grab two extra mags (came with a magpul, threw in two of their gi-spec steelies). Definitely need to keep on the lookout for more mags. Maybe I'll grab one of their mag/optics sale combos a few paychecks down the line...

Didn't really consider the trigger upgrade yet since I haven't shot it. Very used to my factory glock trigger; I know its not the best bt I've trained it into me. Figure unless its a BAD trigger I'll do the same here. Agreed on the weapon light, though. Especially if I decide to keep it ready in place of the current 12ga as my HD long gun (after a good amount of range time). I'll have to do homework there.

I really appreciate the positive feedback, guys over on m4carbine forums were...less positive... Any spare parts that I should have from day one or that are necessary back-up inventory?
Old 09-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Prepared

http://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15...pair-kits.html

One of the field repair kits would be a good thing to grab. Pretty cheep and then you will have it on hand if you do happen to break a part.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,071 Times in 4,568 Posts

The regular nitrided triggers will feel gritty until they wear in. If that's acceptable. If not then a trigger upgrade would be in order.

Optics, sling, spare mags and ammo, ammo, ammo.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 AM
Adventurer

Just make sure when you buy lots of extra mags, and you will, that you also load them and keep them loaded. And shoot all of them at the range so you rotate the ammo in them. Might even want to number the mags with a sharpie so you can keep track of them. Once in a while you will find a mag that doesn't feed rounds as it should. Sometimes you can find a burr or something hanging up the rounds that can be fixed with a file. Other times you may choose to throw that mag away. The important part is keep them loaded. When the SHTF and you are in a nervous state is not the time to attempt loading mags.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:00 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 33,263 Times in 8,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
Finally joined the AR family with a recent purchase of a PSA Freedom MOA M4 carbine. Are there any "mandatory" upgrades that I need to look at? Comes with F marked FSB and MBUS rear sights. Obviously need mags and ammo but otherwise seems like a solid no-frills setup. Not looking to spend a ton of money, just want something reliable.
Shoot it for a few thousand rounds and figure out what you might want to improve on.

Nothing mandatory to replace. I generally swap out the stock and grip for magpul or similar aftermarket but it's personal preference. Maybe better sites than factory.

But the best investment is in ammo and mags and training.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:03 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,507 Posts

My general rule with any firearm is put at least 500 rds down range, figure out what it like accuracy wise, and ensure it is reliable before you start throwing money at it. (500 rds being the starting point, 1000 is better). The only exception is for things like optics or sling that can switch to other rifles. (Other AR parts that are easy to swap are not included, as the object is to ensure the gun, as is, is good to go.)

Side note, I have heard these PSA freedom guns to have some lack luster accuracy...which doubles my view of not putting any money into it until you find out for yourself where it fits on the spectrum of accuracy and dependability.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:01 PM
Pusher of brooms

My little PSA Flattop upper with the 16" Freedom barrel 1/7, will put 75gr Hornadys into just over an inch at 100y. Scoped and from a rest of course.
Even 55gr stuff is shooting better than I expected for the price and twist.

I miss, it ain't the gun.

My gunsmith swears by the polished and plated PSA trigger system for working guns.

Upgrades?
Good mags, good lubricant, good ammo.
After that, it's personal changes, me I like the MagPul MOE grip and the slim carbine stock.

I'm no operator, just a shooter. And the PSA stuff has been good to go for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Ive got a little experience with AR's, my first thing I suggest is the trigger. If it's not a good smooth trigger you'll have trouble shooting accurately. Then a good sling, and learn how to use your iron sights then get optics.
The best suggestion is learn how to use it. Get into competition, that's the closes you can get to the real thing without being in real combat. It also shows you what needs to be changed, where your equipment flaws are. Go slow at first and be accurate then get fast
Good luck and have fun
Old 09-28-2017, 01:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,577 Times in 774 Posts

The field spare parts kit is a must, as you WILL lose something when taking it apart , or discover a kinked small spring down the road. Also get a few extra of the firing pin retainer cotter pins, they are a wear item that break from time to time (personal experience...). And a good one piece cleaning rod that swivels, non coated.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MEGAHAMMER For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 AM
Nunquam Non Paratus

Thanked 2,472 Times in 869 Posts

I can't disagree with any of the suggestions here. The only thing I would add is for every dollar you spent on parts and accessories, spend double that on training/shooting. Smartly of course. It's not about how much you spend.
The Following User Says Thank You to jchavasu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 03:12 PM
If I had a voice I'd sing

Thanked 22,542 Times in 5,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
...I really appreciate the positive feedback, guys over on m4carbine forums were...less positive...
I've read some threads over there when researching something and the forum came up in google.

What a bunch of rude, ignorant idiots over there! A circle jerk of armchair commandos! If anyone mentions a carbine that isn't either a BCM, Daniel Defense, or Colt, they immediately come out with the personal insults and innuendo. A person has to be a real asshat to enjoy being on that forum. If a person has one of those 3 carbines and wants to go join the circle jerk and hear how smart they are for buying it, because those guns are the greatest things ever invented, that is the place to go to. Morons!

Back to the topic. I like the Magpul MOE+ grips. They are rubberized. I never knew about them but ordered one by accident (didn't realize the "+" meant anything) and now I'm sold. Not necessary though.

If you're a new carbine shooter, you might start off with a detachable carry handle for a rear sight. PSA has them on sale sometimes for $69, or you can find Colt handles on ebay for $50. I have one of the ebay Colt handles. Have to get from a reputable seller because it's hard to tell if it's actually a Colt. I checked mine and I'm almost certain it is.

For optics I like etched reticles. They may illuminate, but are still usable without batteries. You can get them in 1X, 2X, 3X, 4X, and 5X from Vortex or Primary Arms.

If you want variable power I recommend either the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 or the Primary Arms ACSS 1-6. I prefer and have the ACSS. Both have lifetime warranties.

But magazines are important too. Watch the PSA daily emails. They often have specials on both the Pmags and the aluminum GI mags for free shipping if you order 10. My most recent magazine order was 10 Pmags for $79.99 shipped.

But the combo deals they have with the optics are good too. All Vortex optics have lifetime warranties.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarco2000 For This Useful Post: