Lancer mags not as robust as I was led to believe - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tristar T-100 and CZ75B (full sized) mags Nomad, 2nd Pistol and Revolver Forum 1 10-23-2016 01:00 AM
Where is the cheapest place for AR mags? northslope Firearms General Discussion 20 10-22-2016 04:11 PM
New Production Croatian AK-47 30 Rnd. Mags Batko10 Military Weapons Forum 5 10-16-2016 11:21 PM
WTB: Yugo BHO mags Batko10 Looking for - want to buy 0 10-15-2016 06:59 PM

Old 11-17-2016, 09:42 AM

Default Lancer mags not as robust as I was led to believe

Advertise Here

I recently purchased 5 Lancer mags from my favorite online retailer along with some 40 round pmags. I bought these based on some online reviews and videos that all gave glowing reviews. When I got them in and examined them I was shocked at how flimsy they feel. I was able to squeeze the sides of these mags until they contacted the spring with not much effort at all. Tried the same thing on the pmags and could not detect any deflection. I seem to remember a guy on youtube driving over one of these lancers with his truck and there was no damage. Makes me wonder if there was some creative editing going on. Also they are supposed to have a rubberized base plate. Mine don't have what I would call a rubberized base plate. It felt like just a hard plastic to me. I will likely be returning the unopened ones for a refund or credit.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this?

Have a good one.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XJCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 09:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 19,651 Times in 6,936 Posts

Which Lancer mag did you buy? This one?

L5 AWM
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/269...ington-polymer
Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 AM

Yes, the L5. In clear polymer.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 AM
Better to burn out

Thanked 6,388 Times in 1,996 Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the product. I have stuck with Pmags, especially when you can get them for under $10 a piece at times.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red*Lion For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 10:34 AM
Scout

Thanked 1,766 Times in 1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red*Lion View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the product. I have stuck with Pmags, especially when you can get them for under $10 a piece at times.
....Yep
The Following User Says Thank You to LOW96HB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,587 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
I recently purchased 5 Lancer mags from my favorite online retailer along with some 40 round pmags. I bought these based on some online reviews and videos that all gave glowing reviews. When I got them in and examined them I was shocked at how flimsy they feel. I was able to squeeze the sides of these mags until they contacted the spring with not much effort at all. Tried the same thing on the pmags and could not detect any deflection. I seem to remember a guy on youtube driving over one of these lancers with his truck and there was no damage. Makes me wonder if there was some creative editing going on. Also they are supposed to have a rubberized base plate. Mine don't have what I would call a rubberized base plate. It felt like just a hard plastic to me. I will likely be returning the unopened ones for a refund or credit.

Anyways, has anyone else noticed this?

Have a good one.
I've not seen any of them that say they come with rubberized base plates. I've used mine quite a bit. Drop free to the ground during mag changes...no issues yet.

Have you used yours? Have they malfunctioned?
Old 11-17-2016, 10:41 AM
Prepared

That is not much of an evaluation. Lancers are the best mags out there. Being able to deform the plastic by squeezing is not much of a test. If it did not flex back into form we'd be able to have a different discussion.

In actual use Lancers perform admirably and last and last despite real abuse.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to match For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 11:32 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,651 Times in 904 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by match View Post
That is not much of an evaluation. Lancers are the best mags out there. Being able to deform the plastic by squeezing is not much of a test. If it did not flex back into form we'd be able to have a different discussion.

In actual use Lancers perform admirably and last and last despite real abuse.
Exactly. It sounds like they bought them and field tested them by watching YouTube.

I used them on several tours as an 11B and they are the most reliable and smoothest feeding mags out there for the M4. Pmags are the only mags I've seen massively fail several times in actual combat. Not a desired feature. When they would first hit the dirt when rounds starts coming in, if the base of the mag hit the ground it would cause a crack at the top back of the mag. The feed lips would split apart and try to feed every single round after the first round fired. It's an extremely complex failure that keeps you out of the fight for too long. I'll never use pmags. They are fragile for actual use. It don't matter what gen they are, I've seen them all do it. If you're just plinking or making a pmag video they work great no doubt, they just don't handle actual hard use very well.

The lancers never split and pooped all the rounds out when being fired ever. I seen a guys full rack get run over by a MATV and only one had slightly bent feed lips. That was made perfectly functional again with a multi tool.

It's just a waste of time and effort returning them just so you can follow the crowd and get some trendy pmags that aren't really all that great. I'd take the tougher more durable issue mags over them. They hold up to abuse way better.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Hail to the King, Baby

Thanked 3,534 Times in 956 Posts

Hell, why not just get stainless steel mags and be done with it? Yes, heavier, but I would think much more durable.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:13 PM
Original Orange President

Thanked 1,174 Times in 551 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledPatriot View Post
Hell, why not just get stainless steel mags and be done with it? Yes, heavier, but I would think much more durable.
Metal mags dent. Springs hang up a little. Follower gets tilted. Rounds don't cycle all of the sudden. That's why I don't use metal anymore. Personally have had those issues.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DadeMurphy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 5,168 Times in 2,606 Posts

Quote:
Not too many steel AR mag choices out there, and I don't know of any stainless ones?

Aluminum and polymer have proven to be equally or even more durable, especially in case of impact on feed lips, besides the weight savings.

- OS
Old 11-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Awesome

Thanked 23,900 Times in 7,887 Posts

question.. how many people are squeezing their mags or having someone or something stand on top of the side of a magazine while shooting?.. it sounds like youd have to be in search of ANY excuse to bash them to make that kind of stretch of an argument
Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Deo iuvante

Thanked 13,590 Times in 3,772 Posts

I still like this guy's torture test of several types of AR mags. Not scientific, but still seems relevant and fun. Lots of pics and video.

click me for AR15.com thread

Old 11-17-2016, 02:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,087 Times in 4,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post
Exactly. It sounds like they bought them and field tested them by watching YouTube.

I used them on several tours as an 11B and they are the most reliable and smoothest feeding mags out there for the M4. Pmags are the only mags I've seen massively fail several times in actual combat. Not a desired feature. When they would first hit the dirt when rounds starts coming in, if the base of the mag hit the ground it would cause a crack at the top back of the mag. The feed lips would split apart and try to feed every single round after the first round fired. It's an extremely complex failure that keeps you out of the fight for too long. I'll never use pmags. They are fragile for actual use. It don't matter what gen they are, I've seen them all do it. If you're just plinking or making a pmag video they work great no doubt, they just don't handle actual hard use very well.

The lancers never split and pooped all the rounds out when being fired ever. I seen a guys full rack get run over by a MATV and only one had slightly bent feed lips. That was made perfectly functional again with a multi tool.

It's just a waste of time and effort returning them just so you can follow the crowd and get some trendy pmags that aren't really all that great. I'd take the tougher more durable issue mags over them. They hold up to abuse way better.
What PMAG's were those? What color, I mean?
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,087 Times in 4,491 Posts

Quote:
They are less durable. Heavier. Prone to rust. Expensive.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 19,651 Times in 6,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Not too many steel AR mag choices out there, and I don't know of any stainless ones?

Aluminum and polymer have proven to be equally or even more durable, especially in case of impact on feed lips, besides the weight savings.

- OS
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/222...tainless-steel

$12 Stainless AR mags
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to panoz77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 03:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,912 Posts

ASC makes stainless mags also ("Stoner" might be ASC also).
I am not in the Army, so don't know what works in combat (especially in a particular theater). So I only use Pmags (in plastic), but also GI mags and stainless mags.
Old 11-17-2016, 08:07 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJCountry View Post
Yes, the L5. In clear polymer.
Could you clarify which Lancers you have, so a person can better help you? You say you have L5's, but then when panoz77 asked you if you had the ones in the link you said "Yes, the L5's in clear".

Reason I ask is because there's 2 different types that I know of. The L5's which are older than the L5AWM's. The L5's are clear, they may have had different colors, I don't know for sure, and the L5AWM's come in clear and a few other colors. The L5's most definitely have a rubber base while the L5AWM's do not. It's a hard polymer just like the PMags.

I did notice that squeezing the L5 is a little easier than the L5AWM's, but I have been using the L5's for 6 years and have had zero issues. The L5AWM's I've had maybe a couple years and haven't had any issues either.

The L5AWM is, IMO, a better magazine than the regular L5, so if you got the L5AWM's you actually got the "better" magazine. So as another said on here, shoot it and see if it works, cause from my experience you are going to be just fine, regardless of which one you have.

Here's some pictures so you can see the difference between the 2. L5AWM is on the left, and the regular L5 is on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0134.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	170353   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0133.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	170361   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0132.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	170369  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeekingTruth For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 08:35 PM
Target Shooter

During the massive magazine buy up several years ago I bought a lancer L5 because it was literally the last mag they had in stock. I wasn't a fan of the price on it but I bought it. That mag turned out to be my favorite. Much higher quality than my stainless steel and pmags. It never once gave me an issue. Any polymer mag will press in a little on the side, but like someone else said, you shouldn't have any reason for that to happen while shooting. Your biggest areas that need strength are at the feed lips and the base plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff92 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2016, 08:51 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,023 Times in 477 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Bones View Post

Thank you for your service.
Looks like I need to find some Lancers.
The Following User Says Thank You to ancient christian For This Useful Post: