Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
70% of Venezuela blacked out Slats Manmade and Natural Disasters 67 09-30-2019 11:22 AM
Venezuela people need our help right now. elZ Manmade and Natural Disasters 160 07-29-2017 10:42 PM
venezuela johbren Financial Forum 30 02-02-2017 03:06 PM
Meanwhile in Venezuela... Sean_6399 General Discussion 0 07-31-2015 02:53 AM
What Everyone Is Ignoring In Venezuela Shank Mares Wife General Discussion 10 04-25-2014 12:11 PM
Meanwhile in Venezuela ... real wowwee Political News and Discussion 10 03-26-2014 09:07 AM
Venezuela George Newbill General Discussion 1 10-08-2012 11:40 AM
Coming soon... Russian missiles in Venezuela Lady Bug(ging) General Discussion 26 07-25-2008 09:20 AM
Venezuela's Clown at it again madcritter General Discussion 15 01-27-2008 05:46 PM
Venezuela shawn General Discussion 3 06-27-2007 12:14 AM

Old 05-18-2016, 09:51 AM
Survivor

Thanked 45,536 Times in 13,328 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by txprep View Post
The issue is if you only eat fresh food, it is difficult to stock up on fresh food. I have tried to feed my kids canned corn (for example) and they wont eat it.
My kids are the same way - they much prefer fresh, often uncooked, veggies.

But if they got hungry enough, I have no doubt they would eat what they must - like anyone else.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Survivor

Thanked 61,891 Times in 19,925 Posts

Quote:
The issue is if you only eat fresh food, it is difficult to stock up on fresh food. I have tried to feed my kids canned corn (for example) and they wont eat it.
Corn is a good example!
I also perfer fresh. I grill corn atleast 3x a week in season. Sometimes I just grill 4-6 ears for lunch.

I still have "a quanity" of canned corn. I don't eat it when fresh is avalable, but in winter:
I add it to soups, not just taco soup or shrimp and corn soup, but I even started throwing a can or 2 in my gumbo just to rotate it.

You can do it, think outside the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Survivor

Thanked 45,536 Times in 13,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
I do not regard building materials, human energy, etc to be limited.

I do agree the middle class is shrinking. $5 does not buy what it did 10 years ago, and raises have gotten scarce.
All resources are limited. The degree to which they are limited may differ, but they are finite.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlinfire For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,958 Times in 5,333 Posts

Quote:
I had the same problem until I sat down and really THOUGHT about It!

For example, sandwiches. Sandwiches need bread and flour stocks well.

Salt and sugar store well also.

Cassaroles uses noodles and chopped meat so I stocked up on both. The meat is from a can but if it is chicken they can see no difference between that and fresh, and they have always liked the canned beef so I can stock up on both of those

Spagetti uses salt so I bought a lot of canned sauce which the kids WILL eat.

Also peanut butter and jelly. I was glad to have the peanut butter because there was a recall on it when the kids were small, so I stopped buying it for a bit and took it from the stored food. Raisins for making oatmeal cookies can be stored, though when I stored the oatmeal it tasted like the cardboard box it came in. The raisins get dry but they are still good for cooking if you soak them first.

I use rice when I make Chinese food, so I stored some of that also. My garden can supply the veggies.

Zucchini. I shredded and dehydrated excess zucchini and it can be soaked and added to cassaroles of baked goods and it ALMOST vanishes in the food. So if I do not point it out they most likely will not know when I put it in.

etc

Because I use things like noodles often the family will not think it is strange, even if it hits the fan and we need to eat these things daily instead of weekly, as we do now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 10:34 AM
Hiker

Well... stock up on canned goods anyway. If TSHTF and they get hungry... they'll eat and stay alive.

NGH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no guns here For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,694 Times in 1,703 Posts

A look at some of their health care issues,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...out-tools.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 10:41 AM
On what date did kev sell

Thanked 15,537 Times in 4,614 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
A look at some of their health care issues,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...out-tools.html
Quote:
In denial: President Nicolas Maduro has refused attempts to seek international or monetary support for the country's healthcare system. He insists theirs is the 'best in the world' after Cuba

^^^WHAT?????^^^

Those photos of the hospitals are horrible.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 11:05 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
Don't just buy beans and rice, buy what you eat, eat what you store.

I'm in town for my beekeeping meeting, and stopped by a... odd lots store, it's not a salvage grocery, buy close.

Spent $71, but stocked up on things I actually USE.

Don't mistake, last time I was in there rice was 1/2 what the grocery carries, and I got 100lbs.

But throwing away stuff is no savings, and will SUCK to have a dietary shift when your under stress....

Exactly. Stockpile what you use, use what you stockpile, and rotate your inventory; for a win-win two prong approach.

(1) Savings: I shop sales and use coupons; which allows me to save money by waiting until an item's next sales cycle rolls around. Obviously, fresh perishables are hard to store, but I do take advantage of meat sales and freeze some meat for savings.

(2) Crises: With a stockpile, there is time to either ride out, or assess, observe, plan and react to whatever the situation may be.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 11:35 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,075 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxkitten86 View Post
.........................Please God may we have a Brexit. It won't stop the demise of Europe, but it might slow down the horrors in UK.
Yes. I'm hoping that you guys take back control of your country and not let the other EU nations control the UK any longer. I read something that said 5 out of every 6 new laws in the UK were being mandated by Brussels and that you guys have no control over it. If that is true, something is extremely wrong. At least you never changed to the Euro.

How is the feeling on the street about the Brexit there?

Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeystyle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Survivor

Keep all this in mind folks. Again, you can't begin to fix a problem until you acknowledge you have one. He apparently has not reached that point yet. So his people will continue to suffer.

Also,
Stocking up doesn't have to be all rice and beans.

These can be made entirely from your pantry,

I have come to call them "Panic Pastry" from a thread on another fourm, where some may have thought they weren't "Tactical Enough" it got to be a running joke for a bit.

They can be baked in your normal oven, gas grill, dutch oven, and my Volcano. These were done in my kitchen oven.

If you are hungry, it won't matter much what you eat, just that you eat. A well stocked pantry is a huge benefit to have if, or, when things start to come apart. It is a good idea even when things are going well.

As mentioned already, ayou might still want to be in line for hand outs. To suplement what they already have. If you are rural a pantry full of food can supplement and fish of game you manage to acquire.

You don't have to lose your minds either. Dry pasta, and jarred red sauce stores well and tastes even better. Especially if you change up the basic bread recipe and make garlic rolls or knots instead of pastries.

Like most things in life, a little common sense goes a long way.

Again like already said above, canned corn and other canned veggies and meat can be used in a variety of different ways.

I can throw together a great tasting pot of chicken soup from canned goods, and pantry stores. If you have some fresh onions or celery to add to it all the better. Again, a fresh baked roll adds a nice finishing touch.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
Exactly. Stockpile what you use, use what you stockpile, and rotate your inventory; for a win-win two prong approach.

(1) Savings: I shop sales and use coupons; which allows me to save money by waiting until an item's next sales cycle rolls around. Obviously, fresh perishables are hard to store, but I do take advantage of meat sales and freeze some meat for savings.

(2) Crises: With a stockpile, there is time to either ride out, or assess, observe, plan and react to whatever the situation may be.
I'll add one more to monkeystyle's list.

3. If you have food options, you can plan your meals ahead of time. I find we eat much healthier when we plan our meals in advance. Rather than coming home tired and just throwing some crap in a pan or a bowl.

So many things in the pantry cross over very well. Take oatmeal for example. It stores well, and tastes great by itself it can also be added to meatloaf and burgers to stretch out the meat a bit if needed. If your eating ground dog like these folks in Venezuela, a little oatmeal to stretch it out would be a very good thing. And who doesn't like fresh baked oatmeal cookies. Cheap, easy, stores well and very healthy.

We store 3 kinds. Instant packages, old fashioned oats, and steel cut.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Keep all this in mind folks. Again, you can't begin to fix a problem until you acknowledge you have one. He apparently has not reached that point yet. So his people will continue to suffer.

Also,
Stocking up doesn't have to be all rice and beans.

These can be made entirely from your pantry,

I have come to call them "Panic Pastry" from a thread on another fourm, where some may have thought they weren't "Tactical Enough" it got to be a running joke for a bit.

They can be baked in your normal oven, gas grill, dutch oven, and my Volcano. These were done in my kitchen oven.

If you are hungry, it won't matter much what you eat, just that you eat. A well stocked pantry is a huge benefit to have if, or, when things start to come apart. It is a good idea even when things are going well.

As mentioned already, ayou might still want to be in line for hand outs. To suplement what they already have. If you are rural a pantry full of food can supplement and fish of game you manage to acquire.

You don't have to lose your minds either. Dry pasta, and jarred red sauce stores well and tastes even better. Especially if you change up the basic bread recipe and make garlic rolls or knots instead of pastries.

Like most things in life, a little common sense goes a long way.

Again like already said above, canned corn and other canned veggies and meat can be used in a variety of different ways.

I can throw together a great tasting pot of chicken soup from canned goods, and pantry stores. If you have some fresh onions or celery to add to it all the better. Again, a fresh baked roll adds a nice finishing touch.
looks great. Now do a Stromboli.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 12:07 PM
Survivor

Done,

Slicing up a Survival Stromboli, (Patent Pending)

King Arthur flour, Dak Canned Ham, Prego jarred red sauce. This Mozz came from the store. But it can be made right here too.

I would bet some of these folks would do almost anything to pull this out of their pantry,
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/05/18/venez...to-choose.html
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 12:22 PM

I feel a merge coming from the force.

https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...437849&page=11
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Survivor

As the crisis worsens, other countries prepare to take a hit to their financial and social systems.
http://curacaochronicle.com/main/car...ela-collapses/

You just never know which domino will be the one that starts tipping all the rest over.

On another note. I read today thet Spain's debt has now exceeded it's gross national product. Not a good thing.

And here at home the NY Stock exchange has halted trading on a lot of stocks for another
"Technical Issue"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
“As hunger deepens, we could see more Venezuelans fleeing by land or sea to an island,” Muchacho said.
Like Cuba. I cant wait to see the the "dry feet" law Cuba enacts.
Quote:
Quote:
In denial: President Nicolas Maduro has refused attempts to seek international or monetary support for the country's healthcare system. He insists theirs is the 'best in the world' after Cuba
If Greece didnt start it, I think they (EU) can weather the storm. I think Italy is close like Spain though... and with the hopeful UK Brexit... I think we (US) will be encouraged to do more to help in the EU sooner than later. Ya know like non TPP trading partners for FOOD. Phones for Food program.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Survivor

If they do merge them, I hope they keep them here in the Disaster Section.

There aren't many more classic examples of a Man Made Disaster than this. And it is unfolding right before our Eyes. Real life, real world, real time.

Things like this scare me way more than the zombie, Mayan, space aliens all sitting in the volcano stuff.

Personally, I think we will see Greece pop back up on the radar about the same time the UK has its Brexit vote.
I agree Italy is weak in the knees too, along with Portugal.

They didn't solve the Greek Crisis, they just moved the timeline down the road a bit. From what I'm reading the Greek people want out of the EU really bad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 01:01 PM
Survivor

Interesting compilation of articles
http://venezuelanalysis.com/news

Does this remind anyone of the Patriot Act or what?
http://venezuelanalysis.com/news/11975

Excerpt,
Caracas, May 16, 2016 (venezuelanalysis.com) – Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro announced Friday the expansion of the country’s state of exception in a bid to confront a deep economic crisis as well as national security threats posed by international right-wing forces.

The Constitutional State of Exception and Economic Emergency Decree will renew the powers granted to Maduro in January by the Supreme Court as part of an economic emergency decree, as well as authorize new ones with the aim of “protecting the people from the constant attacks of the national right-wing allied with the imperialist powers”.

Under the 60-day executive order, the armed forces (FANB) will amplify its role in combatting organized crime and external threats in addition to participating more actively in the distribution of food and medicine. According to the Venezuelan press, the FANB have also begun military training exercises.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LostViking For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 01:13 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,526 Posts

We have totally different news from what is viewed/heard in America. So... What I really wanted to write is Greece is already well on the radar, with no possibility to meet the current payments. Getting a bit weird there. The migrant situation is heating up nicely - again - as well, with them flooding into Greece, and now entering Rmania at the Black Sea, travelling across Romania, then walking across the Romanian/Hungarian borders where the Hungarian people are having true hissy fits. They thought they were safe. Heck as like. There are riots in Germany and HUGE demonstrations in Poland against migrants. Ukraine still hasn't settled properly, mostly agitating from Kiev - NOT Moscow, and don't let anyone tell you differently. We live close enough to the border to frequent the Ukrainian Sunday markets, so our information is First Hand. We watch BBC, DUNA telly from Budapest, Romanian telly both local and national (bleeaach to both) and my husband listens to Moscow Radio every morning in the barn whilst he milks cows. We have family living in Moscow, Hungary, Somerset UK and Wisconsin. We have positively schizophrenic information. Wanna know something truly scary? The Moscow News seems to be just slightly more comprehensive and reliable than the rest. BBC doesn't lie, merely cherry picks what is broadcast - basically it omits things. Budapest is much more home centred, rather than world news, but what they do report bears up very well over time.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 01:24 PM
All over Europe

Thanked 8,725 Times in 2,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeystyle View Post
Yes. I'm hoping that you guys take back control of your country and not let the other EU nations control the UK any longer. I read something that said 5 out of every 6 new laws in the UK were being mandated by Brussels and that you guys have no control over it. If that is true, something is extremely wrong. At least you never changed to the Euro.

How is the feeling on the street about the Brexit there?

Good luck!
The govt and heaven only knows who else are throwing vast sums of money to frighten people into voting no. But people are angry about the migrant situation, so who knows.

Right now I'd say flip a coin and pray.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxkitten86 For This Useful Post: