Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hello from the Middle East Obmon New Member Introduction 25 09-27-2012 09:21 AM
Hello from the Middle East Chani New Member Introduction 20 07-03-2012 12:12 PM
Hello From the Middle East Silvrbak55* New Member Introduction 14 05-27-2012 12:43 PM
Hello from the Middle East kojiiro New Member Introduction 7 12-20-2011 05:57 PM
Middle East AngryRed General Discussion 36 10-26-2011 10:09 AM
Is the Middle East on the verge of war? patriot101 Political News and Discussion 117 08-25-2011 08:04 PM
Riots Across the Middle East Prepperoni Political News and Discussion 112 02-05-2011 10:44 AM
Middle East!! survivalone General Discussion 1 01-29-2011 09:28 AM
Middle East Heating Up Again. Hawkeye Alex Manmade and Natural Disasters 4 05-31-2010 11:49 PM
Middle East Paradox Religious Discussion 2 01-15-2009 05:47 PM

Old 09-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Advertise Here

welcome, i agree, you write English well. To be able to speak many languages may be quite a boon later in life, keep it up!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docileone For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM MOTLOW View Post
Hello and welcome from the Buckeye state..... Ohio.

Good to have you here. Do you have any reports for us about ISIS? Are they active in your area?
Thanks, man! Good to be here.
They're not active in my area, no. But they are active in east and southern Mosul which is close to Kurdistan's borders. Plenty of my countrymen are over there maintaining a defensive position although their equipment is literally ****, don't believe the news, there's a lot (over 30 percent) of forces fighting still as militia (although, they are in fact within the DoD's command) with no formal military structure (fighters bring their own weapons, buy your own ammo), no logistics at all. They don't even know anything about fortifications or jack about boobytraps, no explosives squad.

Last edited by kokosmom2; 09-06-2015 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: please don't bypass the language filter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan.I For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhc76 View Post
Welcome from the rolling hills of central Oklahoma. Put up a chair and stay a while.
Thank you! I intend to be around for a long time! :D
The Following User Says Thank You to Alan.I For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2015, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadou View Post
Welcome from western N.Y.!
I saw a little of the southern part of your country some 25 years ago.

Most folks on this forum are genuinely good folks. Helpful and knowledgeable.
Thank you! Uhm, you're ex-military, I assume? Desert Storm? I've read a lot about what happened back then, I always read about history, critical to learn from it and avoid the mistakes of the past!
I'm already learning a ton, and hey, my english is getting even better!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wldwsel View Post
Howdy

WW
Hey, man! How you doin'?
Old 09-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost11 View Post
Welcome from Montana.
Thank you very much!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angler View Post
Welcome to the forum Alan.
Thank you!
Old 09-06-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrism4 View Post
Welcome Alan! Glad to have you aboard from abroad. I live in Bakersfield Californa, but at the moment on a holiday in Maui Hawaii. Cheers!
Thank you very much!
For real? That's awesome, man! Hawaii is gorgeous!! But hey, that's how you know you're a prepper, checking the forum even when you're on holidays! :D
Old 09-06-2015, 04:48 PM
Hunter

Thanked 3,011 Times in 1,194 Posts

Welcome from Texas. It will be interesting for us to get perspective on things from you. Your mastery of English is incredible.

I am interested in how your internet service works. Are you using a dial-up service, ISDN, DSL, Wireless, or some other means? Do you have 24 hour connection availability or do you have periods with no connection available? Are any websites or domains blocked?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWorf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyttrash View Post
Welcome! Is the area you live in generally safe? Like, if you go to the store for a Coke are you taking your life in your own hands? Glad to have you aboard.
Thank you very much!
Well, it used to be back when I lived in Baghdad, but then we moved up north so it's not like that here, but I remember going to an area where my school was, there was plenty of active militias who killed for no reason, and I mostly avoided eye contact (yeah, we'd been taught to do that). But I've seen my share of gunfights and explosions and dead bodies, I don't even flinch anymore.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
Alan,

Welcome.

I watched the AP cover a Tropical Storm in Japan many years ago and swore I would never believe what news media printed.

Totally false.

Rancher
Thank you!
Believe it or not, there used to be a time when the local news would report my old neighborhood in baghdad was safe, when at the very second there was an attack on the local mosque (a symbol to be taken down to show dominance by the sectarian militias) but the neighborhood folks would put up a hell of a fight (many were ex-military or very smart young people that knew how to defend), only because of these guys I (and many others) are alive today, it was a damn turf war that no one covered, assassinations weren't reported, abductions, and most of them were covered up by "the iraqi man", if you get my drift. Even the death toll is false, I can assure you it's much much more.
Old 09-06-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docileone View Post
welcome, i agree, you write English well. To be able to speak many languages may be quite a boon later in life, keep it up!
Thank you very much!
Yes, I completely agree with that, my mother put an emphasis on us learning (English), she always says it's the language of the world!
Old 09-06-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWorf View Post
Welcome from Texas. It will be interesting for us to get perspective on things from you. Your mastery of English is incredible.

I am interested in how your internet service works. Are you using a dial-up service, ISDN, DSL, Wireless, or some other means? Do you have 24 hour connection availability or do you have periods with no connection available? Are any websites or domains blocked?
Thank you very much, and I'll certainly do my best to relay any news or happenings here. Also, I really appreciate that! Well, I got a consistent internet connection when I started college, financially things were tough and we couldn't afford it, so before that in high-school I had a phone with GPRS and I spent almost 4 dollars every day (my allowance, basically) just to keep connected to the world (Bless his heart, my Nokia E63).

I have a DSL connection right now, it's been almost a year since I've been using it (before that I had a little usb stick which I got for $200 and like 50 dollars for a 50 kilobyte/s connection -_-), needless to say, internet prices are pretty high here, speeds being terrible (they're ****).
No domain or website is blocked (as far as I'm aware). And I've been recently trying to learn how to setup my own VPN, but it seems like plenty of work and I can't really afford (nor trust) any service.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alan.I For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 05:27 PM
- Think! -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.I View Post
You know, it's a pleasant coincidence, because I'm learning german right now (From Goethe's Faust, if you've heard of it). It's very hard so far, but I'm trying my best!
Whoa, that's like... like... learning english with Shakespeares works! If you need help with a translation or something grammar -related, just shoot me a pm.
Goethe used to be mandatory reading in class for every school here, upwards from, puh, 8th or 9th grade, if I remember correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Euro-Dystopian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro-Dystopian View Post
Whoa, that's like... like... learning english with Shakespeares works! If you need help with a translation or something grammar -related, just shoot me a pm.
Goethe used to be mandatory reading in class for every school here, upwards from, puh, 8th or 9th grade, if I remember correctly.
HAHAHA Trust me, I figured that out the moment I began reading it, but I liked it, and I will take you up on that, definitely! Thank you very much!
You're lucky, our mandatory reading was oliver twist -_- not exactly enjoyable.
Survivor

Thanked 15,731 Times in 12,964 Posts

Welcome to the forum, pull up a seat and make yourself a home.

Take care,
Wes
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to survivalebooks For This Useful Post:

Greetings from Texas, Alan! I spent 38 months in Iraq between February, 2005 and December, 2011. I lived in Mosul for almost 2 years, and have made a number of trips to Erbil and elsewhere within Kurdistan. Spent quite a while in Kirkuk as well! I always found the Kurdish North to be a beautiful and friendly place. Welcome to the forum!

Ron
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RonC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivalebooks View Post
Welcome to the forum, pull up a seat and make yourself a home.

Take care,
Wes
Thank you very much!
Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
Greetings from Texas, Alan! I spent 38 months in Iraq between February, 2005 and December, 2011. I lived in Mosul for almost 2 years, and have made a number of trips to Erbil and elsewhere within Kurdistan. Spent quite a while in Kirkuk as well! I always found the Kurdish North to be a beautiful and friendly place. Welcome to the forum!

Ron
Hello, RonC! Oh, that's awesome, good to know you're familiar with the territory!! Mosul was beautiful back then, Kirkuk, too!! Erbil is getting so big these days it's ridiculous! The best thing about here used to be the weather, not anymore! :D It's so hot right now you wouldn't believe it's northern Iraq! Thank you very much!! :D
Old 09-06-2015, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan.I View Post
As far as I know, there are permits for law enforcements, party protection and military operatives. We're allowed to own guns as long as we register them, but the gun control we have is just the fact that they're very incredibly expensive (Pistols are 4 times worth more than an AK, which is stupid.)
Like I said, you need to register the firearms you have, and since many people here are originally tribesmen, they're very well aware of what guns can do (at least in Kudistan, we're very careful with weapons).
The most common as you said is AK47, or rather, AK74, russian or chinese made, but I remember the first one I disassembled (when I was 11) was Czech made.
There are also M4s and M16s, as well as H&K made rifles (G36, I think?)
Owning a silencer indicates you're an assassin and from what I've heard, it gives the person carrying it a death sentence right away. .50 cals are very rarely seen (only military has them, mostly), shotguns are not as common as you'd expect, in the US, from what I know, shotguns are rather popular, in here we put plenty of emphasis on range and accuracy.

As for difficulty obtaining unregistered firearms, they're pretty hard to come by, I believe much harder than in the US, because of the situation (you guys know how it is).
This is all very specific to my area (Iraqi Kurdistan, the safer part of it, I'm not so sure about baghdad because it's a ****storm there all the time, lots of militia and sectarian killings).
wow....I thought shotguns would be plenty everywhere. is it because of the terrain over there? I live along the Ouachita river not too far from Camden AR. more like a swamp, plenty of woods, thickets and gators....stay safe brother.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mard For This Useful Post: