Flying bug out bag - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Flying Man Hazeleyes Books, Movies & Stories 0 02-22-2014 07:49 PM
What Happens If You Are Flying And... KingDF Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 11-13-2012 01:53 PM
Flying With Firearms AK_guy Firearms General Discussion 11 08-29-2012 12:10 AM
Flying Yehudi General Discussion 3 08-19-2012 11:02 PM
Pre Medical For Flying. Jungle Work Jokes, Humor & Music 0 12-20-2011 09:15 PM
Flying Humvee !!! Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 2 10-27-2011 06:52 PM
flying squirrels LandOLakeS Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 16 04-10-2011 03:25 AM
Bug out in a flying hovercraft? Dwind Vehicles & Transportation 3 09-25-2010 02:19 PM
This is some flying! BOBtheBUTCHER General Discussion 3 10-27-2009 02:01 PM
Essential kit while flying Gunpit British Isles and ROI 22 09-17-2009 04:54 PM

Old 07-24-2011, 11:03 PM

Default Flying bug out bag

Advertise Here

Hello All,
I am new to these forums and am looking for some advice on a traveling bug out bag/kit. I am a pilot for a large private avation company. I travel all over the US, Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America etc. We spend time in most every major city...NY, Miami, Chicago, LAX, etc. We also visit small out of the way places like Dillon, MT and the like. Lots of nights in hotels.

I am looking for ideas for a small bug out bag and contents for when I travel. It needs to be able to fit in my roller bag and or flight kit. The contents need to be TSA approved/compatible because we regularily fly as passengers on commercial airlines to meet our planes and to get home after a trip. So no weapons, or Hazmat.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XLcapt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 01:05 AM

Welcome to the forum! (says the guy who just registered within the last hour, lol)

I used to travel quite a bit for work, (and still do occasionally) and am curious to see some responses from the more experienced here.

I had to fly a few weeks ago and had to split up my normal EDC/GHB items between my suitcase and carryon computer pack. Anything sharp (obviously) went in the suitcase, and I felt naked without my CRKT K.I.S.S. knife.

Depending on how much stuff you want to carry, I would think one of those Euro-style "man-purses" might do well for an essentials bag, and it won't be out of place in the jetset world.

-TC
Old 07-25-2011, 01:34 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 471 Posts

They have one for frequent fliers. They call em parachutes. J/K ...couldn't resist. My best guess would be, get the TSA list and build around the guidelines. Go more for survival preps than offensive/defensive. If you "DO" decide to prep a little offense/defense in your bag, I would probably recommend the BIG knitting needles! Otherwise, stick to shelter, water, food, and fire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 AM
...all out of bubble gum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 471 Posts

This is my "off-the hip" recommendations. I'm sure I could do better with more time to think about it. I will list several options in each category, but my primary recommendations are in BOLD.

Probably a maxpedition "messenger-type" bag.
Shelter.... tube tent or sil-nylon tarp, Emergency Bivy 2.0, good sil-nylon poncho
Water... A frontier pro filter, small hiker filter, steri-pen, chem-tablets, or aqua-mira drops, Platypus bag, condoms, metal nalgene bottle.
Fire.... (a tricky one. dunno if ferro rods are allowed by TSA) magnifier lens, fresnel lens card, petroleum-chapstick, solar cigarette lighter, OB tampons (tinder and a 100 uses), one 000 steel wool pad (for use with pak-lite), alcohol preps, fire piston.
Food.... maybe some type of Mainstay bars, datrex packs, cliff bars, power bars, snickers, granola, GORP.
Light... Pak-lite, Petzel tikka2, mini-mag, small tactical light, spare batteries for everything electrical, maybe a 72-hr candle.
Offense/Defense... Tactical pen if possible, Zebra 701 pen to be inconspicuous, maybe a CIA letter opener if you're a risk taker.
Medical...extra prescription medications, quality small first aid kit.
ALWAYS DUCT/GORILLA TAPE AND DENTAL FLOSS!
Fluff.....spork, couple of bandanas, metal camping cup, squishy bowl set, metal business card holder (easy to fashion a blade out of it), a couple of toothbrushes (a million prison shivs can't be wrong). Hank of paracord, super glue, zip-ties, few Gallon zip-lock bags, OTC pep-pills.
Misc... What ever else you can get away with carrying.

Without a doubt there would be a folding pocket knife, and a fixed blade in my "checked" baggage.

I think a good bit of the kit would be inconspicuous items that could easily fashioned in to survival items.
The Following User Says Thank You to kevinthenurse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 AM

Kind of related. Secure yourself a small storage or locker and have caches to places you fly and stock it appropriately. If something big happened no guarantee you will be coming home any time soon.

Some suggestions

Language dictionary
local money
gun and ammo if possible
shortwave radio for news
meds
local looking clothes
local maps
mark church locations
couple good knives
trade item
backpack and camp equipment
pay as you go phone in that country
have skype account
bicyle
get the idea!

I travel a lot to another state and have a storage locker, $34 a month and it's stocked up. So I have nothing on the plane.
Nice item to have is a moped, 200 mpg!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Desert Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Cry havoc..

Hello and Welcome

Dave
Old 07-25-2011, 05:29 PM

I carry a kit whenever I travel by air. It's based on a Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer, but you could utilize any other similar organizer. It's not really intended to be a traditional survival kit but more of an EDC kit.

Exterior of Organizer (a few business cards in the mesh pouch)

Interior of Organizer

Contents

1. First Aid Kit (bandages, sterile wipes, water purifier tabs, anti-septic ointment, etc)
2. 1 Liter Zipper Bag (for water storage & purification)
3. Notebook
4. ITW Field Shield (sun block & insect repellent)
5. Lens Cloth
6. Medical Shears
7. Polymer Pry Bar
8. 1X4 Technician's Mini Screwdriver
9. Highlighter
10. Tick Tweezers
11. USB Drive
12. Sharpie
13. Doc Allen VersaTool
14. Tool Bits
15. PocketWrench II
16. Starbuck's Gift Card
17. ITW Marine Whistle

I have yet to have a TSA agent question me on any of this stuff, but there's always a first time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mudinyeri For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 AM

I was about to post this same question, glad I ran a search first.

I have a plan for a secured footlocker for the places I'll be flying to on a regular basis. Great idea about the organizer for the carry on though. Thanks!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Leatherman MT

Leatherman Style PS (TSA Friendly)

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS

The Following User Says Thank You to jetsrb32 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,186 Posts

Bugging out while on the ground at your destination is one thing, but bugging out while driving an airplane is a bit more complicated and has its own special gear requirements, the first of which would be a parachute and clean.pair of drawers. Aside from that, the above posts have some really good ideas like having a locker at each place you regularly visit.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Prepared

if not already said.

compass
few extra sectionals or maps.
portable av two way radio.
pocket book guid to edible plants with pics.
cash.
water already said
noodles beens rice and crackers in few zip locks. just enough for few quick meals. and or soups all can be dehydrated with the water. and water filter.
roll of toilet paper.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:07 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,557 Times in 536 Posts

Steel wool and a 9v battery for fire-starting. Wrapped individually and kept in separate pockets.

Hubby and I worked up an idea to take an Altoids tin and use a very small drillbit to perforate the side or bottom in the shape of a small knife blade. Then use a good punching tool (like a stainless steel pen) to punch that out if you need it. File it down a bit on a sharpening stone or handy rock and you've got yourself something you can cut with.

You might also consider a Utili-Key. It looks just like a key, disappears in with your keys, and many of the reviewers at Amazon say they get through security checkpoints with it no problem. It's got a knife blade, can opener, philips and flathead screwdriver points on it - it's really neat. I have one and no one could tell it wasn't a key unless you showed them.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 AM

I have always liked the roller luggage with the extendable metal handle for airline travel, (use your imagination).
Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,026 Posts

Check out Best Glide, they're an aviation survival supply site.
Should give you some good ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to techo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Prepared

This place has some good stuff. I've ordered quite alot from them.

http://bestglide.com/
Old 05-26-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinthenurse View Post
...Fire.... (a tricky one. dunno if ferro rods are allowed by TSA)...
I'm not sure if they're allowed either but I always carry a ferro rod and striker in my carryon. Don't think it's an issue or easily spotted anyways as it probably just looks like a 3" rod of metal on an Xray.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,350 Times in 994 Posts

Interesting challenge giving the limitation that any kind of edged tool like a knife which is very much key is probably a bad idea. I know you're supposedly allowed small blades now, but who knows how this changes or how unevenly this is enforced.

Instad of any ferro fire starters, just bring a bic or similar lighter. TSA won't know what to make of chemical things and would likely just take it.

Given ELTs can be flakey and you fly so much, maybe your own EPIRB or one of the more modern personal locators would make sense.

I think water bottle has been mentioned, but have one even if it needs to be empty prior to security. We do this just so we can fill it later and have something to drink in case we're trapped on plane for five hours, and to avoid paying $4.00 for a little bottle of water.

Headlamp light is a great idea. While the gear you fly probably has backups for backups, if electrical really bailed out on you, having that on your head quickly lets you still see what's going on an fly.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:00 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,577 Times in 21,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsrb32 View Post

Leatherman Style PS (TSA Friendly)

http://www.leatherman.com/product/Style_PS

I got flagged for having that in my carry on a month ago. Took me to the searching counter, they dug around until they found it, then looked at it a while and said it was OK. Well, not really that OK if they waste 10 minutes of your time. I'm telling ya, this crap is getting real old.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 70,577 Times in 21,376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottPreps View Post
Interesting challenge giving the limitation that any kind of edged tool like a knife which is very much key is probably a bad idea. I know you're supposedly allowed small blades now, but who knows how this changes or how unevenly this is enforced.

Instad of any ferro fire starters, just bring a bic or similar lighter. TSA won't know what to make of chemical things and would likely just take it.

Given ELTs can be flakey and you fly so much, maybe your own EPIRB or one of the more modern personal locators would make sense.

I think water bottle has been mentioned, but have one even if it needs to be empty prior to security. We do this just so we can fill it later and have something to drink in case we're trapped on plane for five hours, and to avoid paying $4.00 for a little bottle of water.

Headlamp light is a great idea. While the gear you fly probably has backups for backups, if electrical really bailed out on you, having that on your head quickly lets you still see what's going on an fly.
Just to point out that small blades are not allowed. They reneged on the rule change at the last minute. Even the tiniest swiss army classic knife blade es verboten.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2014, 07:35 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 80,486 Times in 32,268 Posts

If just kinda dawned on me --- the TSA guy must have a field day -- when one of these come through ?