BOB First Aid Kit - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 04-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Target Shooter

Advertise Here

I've been on a 1st aid equipment binge for the last few days, so this thread is pretty well timed for me =)

First off, training is (I think) the most valuable item to have in your 1st aid collection. I'm no expert (and it shows) but I have had at least a few classes on the subject. Basic 1st Aid from the Red Cross is a good and very basic place to start, as well as the CPR portion of their offerings. I've completed both of those and try to keep the 'certifications' renewed and current on both. I've also received some 2nd-hand combat lifesaver training and have been saving up the funds to take and complete a Wilderness 1st Responder and/or Wilderness 1st Aid course as well. (Almost there!)

I haven't really planned my gear for any SHTF type situations, but I feel that what I have and the training I've gone through at least gives me a good platform to base everything else on.

The first thing I planned for was a back country incident. I do a lot of hiking and backpacking in some rough parts of Arizona and help is almost always very far away both in time and distance. That said, I started with an AMK kit from REI to build upon.

http://www.rei.com/product/708125

I've added quite a bit to it (although I can't recall off the top of my head) such as a couple flat-folding N95 masks, eyewash/drops, spare contact lenses, quick clot, more gloves, water purification tablets, SAM splint (not actually carried inside the pack though due to size), Vitalyte drink mix for rehydration, Leatherman Micra (GREAT sharp blade, scissors, etc.) and more.

Another situation I have a spec for is a combat loadout. This one tends to be pricey, and so far none of us have had a need for it, but it's must-have insurance both now, and possibly post-SHTF. That list is virtually 100% custom from scrath based on research and some military friends' information, and has been evolving over time. Recently a few items have been changed out to result in:

1x 4in Izzy bandage (w/ mobile pad)
1x 6x9 Abdominal Pad
1x Light stick
1x Black Sharpie
1x NPA (28FR) w/surgilube
1x Quick Clot Z-fold Combat Gauze
1x 4in Ace bandage
2x Pairs of gloves
2x 4" x 75" Conforming stretch gauze
1x Halo Chest Seal (2 per package)
1x 14 ga 3.25" decompression needle
1x EMT Shears
1x CAT Tourniquet

This list stays in a pouch on my carrier and is all readily accessible (tourniquet rubber-banded to the front of the carrier.) I also carry a few other odds and ends. First, in a hidden pocket (not intentionally hidden, it's just the only open spot I could put it) I keep an AMK CPR kit.

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...tname=Bleeding / CPR&prodname=CPR Medic

Might rethink that with the newer compression-only CPR becoming the norm.

In my pack I will also keep another izzy bandage, wound closure kit (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...&catname=Wound Care / Burn&prodname=Wound Closure Medic) and 'Pocket Medic' kit (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...me=Medications / Instruments&prodname=Pocket Medic#). Last but not least, because I believe in overkill, I toss in their 'Trauma Pak' as well. (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...rodname=Trauma Pak with QuikClot®)

While I haven't really completed a 'full' kit for home yet, I do have duplicates of pretty much everything above at home (often more than just a couple of each item) along with a heavier supply of basic medications, tons more gauze, bandages, suture kits, staple kits, 'liquid bandage', Coflex wrap, and good old fashioned liquor =)

While some of the gear I have is actually outside of the scope of any medical training I have (staple and suture kits for example) I consider them a 'have and not need vs. need and not have' kind of thing. I also associate with enough people who DO know their way around a tray of surgical instruments that I could at least provide some equipment to someone who does know what they're doing.

All that rambling aside, it's really gonna depend on your own needs/purposes, budget, and willingness to truly get involved to determine just what you carry with you in a BoB. Personally, I would probably combine the combat loadout (which would be of limited value depending on the SHTF level since that entire kit is based on the theory that you can get to a hospital after administering 1st aid) with my backpacking kit, and throw in as much extra stuff from the home kit as the space/weight constraints allow for.

Edit: Oh, and just a tip for those to which it is an option... If you have an HSA or FSA through your employer, 1st aid equipment DOES qualify under the current guidelines. It doesn't make the gear free, but it does make the money you spend on it free of INCOME tax at least, which is always a good start towards saving some coin!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragar View Post
For your BOB I'd go off the shelf then customize it. I like the AMK .7 and I built up and added from there........ Very cool kit.

Anything by Adventure Medical Kits (AMK) is generally considered pretty good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rocker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Giblet Head

I'll go ahead and list my entire first aid/toiletries portion of my BOB. Keep in mind that this is not my final setup, and there's probably way more stuff here than necessary. I'll obviously take out a few things, and definitely add some. And in the future I'm probably going to separate the two into different compartments, since the toiletries (thesuarus, anyone?) are non-vital, but only good to have, especially if bugging out in civilization.

First Aid:
~ x55 Band-Aids (3/4"x3"), (need to take down amount, get different types)
instant cold pack (5"x6", folded into small paper box to about 1/3 dimensions)
Coghlan's small snakebite kit (want to upgrade to a Sawyer extractor, but looks very bulky)
roll of waterproof tape (1/2"x10yd)
gauze wrap (4"x unknown length)
bottle of Liquid Bandage
small tube of Neosporin
insect-repelling bracelet, sealed in small plastic case for preservation
x2 2"x2" gauze pad
x2 4"x4" gauze pad
NasalCease to stop nosebleed (probably removing)
x2 2-pill packets of extra strength pain reliever
x2 packeted iodine antiseptic premoistened wipe
x2 2-tablet packets of antacid (I have frequent severe heartburn & indigestion)
x2 insect antiseptic/pain reliver premoistened wipe
x2 anti-itch hydrocortisone packet packet
x2 1-capsule antihistamine packet (for bad allergies & could help any reactions)
x2 burn gel packet
x2 triple antibiotic ointment packet
x2 1-caplet antidiarrheal packet
x2 different brand-named pain relief gels in packets
(need to add something for poison ivy/oak)
(want to add issue tweezers for splinter/tick removal, etc.)

Toiletries:
x4 contact lenses, two for each eye
nail trimmers
100 (yd?) roll of dental floss
x5 individually-wrapped hotel soaps, taped together for compactness
generic 2-blade safety razor
ChapStick (maybe remove?)
folding travel toothbrush
3"x4" stainless steel camp mirror (not sure about this)
x2 15-packs of lay-flat Wet Ones wipes (I've heard these are worth their weight in gold outdoors, for various uses)
travel size deodorant
travel size toothpaste (at all needed?)
thin travel size shave foam (1 1/2" diameter, 5" tall)
travel size bottle of hand sanitizer
small packet of 7 4-ply facial tissues
(plan to re-roll a roll of toilet paper into a smaller size and seal it well)

Maybe it would be better when putting together a FAK to list all first aid needs one might have, and then try to build it around possible issues. Like broken finger, sprained ankle, gunshot wound, minor cut, poison ivy, etc. ???

What am I missing, and what else should I be prepared for?
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyDaleShackleford For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 04:35 PM
"Normal" is an illusion

Well I'm just starting to assemble my FAK, and I'm a little overwhelmed.
I decided to divide and conquer, so the first area I picked is wound closure.
I've ordered two dozen 3/0 silk sutures, and one dozen 3/0 gut sutures. I've also ordered a 8 pc surgical s. steel instrument suture set to serve to set and remove the sutures...oh yes and Sterile gloves in size large (individually wrapped by pairs - 50 pairs).
That's it. That's as far as I've gotten. When these supplies come, I'll be practicing on pig's feet & watching youtubes until I'm somewhat comfortable handling these materials. Then it's on to dressing the wound, and all that that entails.
Once I feel like I've completely covered this one area I'll assemble the pieces into a kit and move on to the next category: broken bones....
I just hope I have enough time to do a FAK this way....
The Following User Says Thank You to love2garden22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:54 PM
DEFCON 4

Thanked 7,044 Times in 2,998 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1- Sleeve
4- 2”x 2” Gauze Pads
6- 3”x 3” Gauze Pads
6- 4”x 4” Gauze Pads
1- Sting Relief
1- CPR Mouthpiece
20- 1”x 3” Band-Aids
1- Tweezers
1- Stethoscope
1- 3” Ace Bandage
6- Pain Stoppers
1- Bloodstopper
2- Burn Gel
4- Finger Splints
1- Wire Splint
2- 5” X 9” Combine Dressings
3- Sun Block
12- Antiseptic Towelettes
6- Antibiotic Ointment
4- Sterile Eye Pads
4- Sterile Gauze Rolls-2”x6 yards
3- Adhesive Tape-1”x 10 yards
3- Pair Latex Gloves
1- Triangular Bandage
10- Large Butterfly Bandages
1- 5˝” Bandage Scissors
6- 3”x 1˝” Knuckle Bandages
1- Ammonia Inhalant (10 Pack)
1- Whistle with Lanyard
* Needle holder hemostat (used for suturing)
* 5" curved hemostat
* Scalpel handle
* Sterile scalpel blade
* Surgical probe
* Operating scissors
* Suture lip scissors * 5" Pointed forceps
* 10 Non-Suture wound closure strips
* Tincture of benzoin swab (used on skin around wound areas
to allow closure strips or bandage tape to stick to the skin)
* 2 Antiseptic towelettes
* 2 Alcohol pads
* 5-0 Black nylon STERILE suture (used for fine external skin and
mouth cuts) with attached needle
* 3-0 Black nylon STERILE suture (used for external muscle skin)
this is what i use.... i find this to be as comprehensive as needed for my skill set... as well as very light and easy to pack!!!! plus add normal aspirin,daily meds for all etc...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sniperfx For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyDaleShackleford View Post
Coghlan's small snakebite kit (want to upgrade to a Sawyer extractor, but looks very bulky)
Just a suggestion, but I would drop the snakebite kit entirely. I thought long and hard about the Sawyer kit, and have had numerous opportunities to pick one up, but in the end the concensus seems to be that it's about as worthless as a voodoo doll in this case.

http://www.itstactical.com/medcom/me...om-a-crotalid/

Being in Arizona, and surrounded by those little critters I definitely don't take the subject lightly. Prevention is always the best option, but in the event of a bite and actual envenomation, getting to a hospital as quickly as possible really is the only real 'cure'. Even then expect some SERIOUS pain for quite some time after the fact.

Disclaimer: This article specifically mentions two types of venemous snakes... crotalids and elapids. I'm basing my choice on the fact that the location the article is based on (Texas) is virtually identical to Arizona when it comes to snake species/populations. Being on the Eastern side of the country, it may vary for you, although I sincerely doubt that the snake type is going to change the value (or lack thereof) of any of the snakebite kits out there.

Cliffnotes from the link above: "DO NOT waste your money on these. They typically have a scalpel, suction device, constricting band and alcohol wipe. The only thing of any benefit in these kits is the alcohol wipes, which can be used to clean the bite."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,359 Times in 834 Posts

http://www.jrhenterprises.com/produc...&categoryId=-1

This comes from one of the site's sponsors. It and it's larger version are both pretty good.

What you really need to do, though, is get KNOWLEDGE. You need to know what a "sucking chest wound" is. You need to know how to perform an emergency tracheotomy. Even stuff as simple as how to clear the airway if someone has had a siezure and throws up. (You don't want them choking to death on their own vomit.)

The American Red Cross offers a (sometimes free) course in Advanced First Aid. I can't even begin to describe how good that basic AFA class is.

I used to do "testing" for the course teachers. A local hotel let them use the rooms to set up scenarios. They'd bring groups from room to room, and in each room they'd have a different scenario they had to treat. I was always the drunk who would pass out slumped against the wall and throw up. If they didn't move me and clear my airway... I could potentially choke on my own vomit. (This is how Jimmy Hendrix died.) My girlfriend would always play the "suicide." She'd pass out in front of the group, then get up and order them out of her hotel room. Since she had already passed out once - they failed the test if they left the room before the police or fire department profeesional crew arrived. There were empty pill bottles on the floor to give away the clue that she had swallowed the contents.

Basically, they had about a dozen real life scenarios, everything from a broken thigh bone that could cause someone to bleed to death internally to a guy who supposedly accidentally shot himself in the lung while cleaning his 22 pistol (punctured lung) - and all these things the class learned how to treat in that basic AFA class.

It was truly remarkable because often the groups that came in were compromised. Even though they might have started out with a first aid kit - at the time of testing in some rooms they were told that for that scenario they just stumbled on the situation and didn't have their first aid kit with them. They'd have to perform a tracheotomy using a pocket knife and a ball point pen (if they figured out how to improvise.) The funniest I saw was a group of kids using empty bag of Fritos (plastic cover/seal) and Disney Mickey Mouse stickers (surgical tape) to close a sucking chest wound.

Not everybody got everything right, but it was always a really fun day to be part of the testing and help with that class. And I was way way impressed with how much that basic AFA class taught that was plain and simple priceless real life information.

Before you invest in any medical gear for your bag - I'd advise you to take the basic AFA class from your local Red Cross. You will be 200% better prepared than with any gear you can buy. I don't know if all AFA classes are as good as the one I saw there, but if your local one is even half as good it will be smoking for you to have this kind of knowledge.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to A-Team For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2011, 11:52 PM

Check out this website for alot of good "Trauma" type medical supplies and kits.
http://www.chinookmed.com/
Old 08-17-2011, 12:49 AM
COINTELPRO Operative

johnson and johnson makes a pretty decent first aid kit for about 10$.
It comes in a plastic case but you can remove all the contents and place them in a 200 round molle, or alice, pouch.
It has...
Medical tape
Painkillers
Anti oh shat medicine
Assortment of bandaids
icepack

thats the main portion of it.

idk alot of people have seemed to mis-label first aid kits and trauma kits