Is Regular Physical Training Part Of Your Preparedness Plan? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your pet as part of your preparedness plan? The Machinist Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 44 01-25-2016 05:04 PM
Retirement Plan with Physical Gold/Silver? kalos72 Financial Forum 21 10-28-2013 05:07 PM
physical training for joining military convoy669 General Discussion 27 12-18-2012 09:12 PM
SHTF physical training: hiking thelaststand Health, Fitness and First Aid 8 08-15-2011 09:15 PM
physical preparedness brayden Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 11-14-2010 05:13 PM
What physical training do you do? adam90 Health, Fitness and First Aid 133 04-29-2010 08:59 PM
New File Added: FM 21-20 Physical Fitness Training OursDePapa Health, Fitness and First Aid 1 12-28-2009 02:15 AM
Physical preparedness aeropilot4fun Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 12-14-2009 12:33 AM
New File Added: PHYSICAL FITNESS TRAINING FM 21-20 Wolfen Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 07-20-2008 02:08 AM
New File Added: 5BX Physical Fitness Plan A7D Health, Fitness and First Aid 0 07-09-2008 09:21 PM

Old 09-15-2014, 06:09 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,407 Times in 1,323 Posts

Advertise Here

I work out 3-5 days a week average, I cant always make it to the gym so I keep a set of 25 pound dumbbells in my office so I can work in some curls when I get a few minutes to myself as well as 50 pushups per day and 4.5-6 miles about 3 days a week on my mountain bike.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Rifleman69 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 AM
Noble Savage

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,565 Posts

I don't really set aside much time to actually "work out", usually just a few sets of body weight stuff to help me wind down after work. I do however have a homestead and the manual labor required to keep it up more than makes up for it I think. I'm constantly having to repair fencing (carrying a 200lb railroad tie to the spot, digging the 1ft wide by 3ft deep hole, pounding in tee posts, etc) catching my escape artist billy goat (literally run down a quadruped, wrestle it to the ground, and drag it back more than half a mile) manhandle unruly horses, chop wood, and a whole list of other manual labor that's needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Axethebarbarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 07:46 AM
Hunter

When I was young yep I kept fit, hell I was bulletproof!
But as the years march past stuff happens and you just do your best and make up your physical imparements with cunning and treachery!

I have survived many SHTF events and am still here and I intend to stay here
whatever may come!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nightwind For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Noble Savage

Thanked 4,072 Times in 1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwind View Post
When I was young yep I kept fit, hell I was bulletproof!
But as the years march past stuff happens and you just do your best and make up your physical imparements with cunning and treachery!

I have survived many SHTF events and am still here and I intend to stay here
whatever may come!
When I first moved out to the country so my wife and i could help take car of her grandparents, I was helping her 80 year old grandfather fix a fence the ram had busted. I went to grab a couple more tools and on my way back I saw the 360lb ram charge him. He turned just in time to cock his fist back and puch it square in the face and I'll be damned if that 80 year old man didn't knock that ram cold. He had a single fractured knuckle to show for it. Never underestimate your elders. They might be "weaker" than a young person, but the skills don't go away.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Axethebarbarian For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2014, 02:18 PM

I do 5 hours of hardcore badminton a week and my lifestyle is pretty active. Being obese with heart disease and type 2 diabetes is not conducive to survival. Im in Europe and am shocked by how fat most Americans are. When TSHTF they have absolutely no chance.
Old 09-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,459 Times in 755 Posts

I've been working out since I was 12 years old (sheesh...32 years ago), and have owned a gym (or gyms) since 1995. Working out kind of comes with the job. Love it!
The Following User Says Thank You to SLED For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Man in a van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisdevie View Post
I do 5 hours of hardcore badminton a week and my lifestyle is pretty active. Being obese with heart disease and type 2 diabetes is not conducive to survival. Im in Europe and am shocked by how fat most Americans are. When TSHTF they have absolutely no chance.
How to win friends and influence people:
Go onto a yank forum, tell them you're foreign and that their all fat! Haha
Going the same way here though, The UK is leading Europe in soaring waist bands.

I was thinking much the same as the OP earlier today, I've looked at some awesome fortifications and BOVs on this forum, but if you lose everything,
your house is burnt to the ground, you flip the truck / shatter a diff etc,
All of a sudden you are reliant wholly on your body (and a bicycle if you're smart),
at this point the near infinite supply of beans in your basement won't help if you're a big fat fatty.

I'm 6' and 200lbs, whilst that suits what I do with myself now, my general level of fitness could certainly be improved.
I was 10st at my climbing weight which was way too lean, I reakon I need to drop 30lbs for an optimum balance of strength / agility.

General fitness will not only help with general mobility, but endurance and resiliance to activity and injury too.
I don't hoenestly expect a SHTF type of situation requiring extreme survival, but general fitness is just good for everyday life(!)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:59 AM
Target Shooter

A high level of fitness is very important and it is very important not to rely on fitness equipment.

Hiking and hill sprints are the main thing. That is paleo fitness at its best. If you live in a city or a flat area it becomes walking and stair sprints. You flat landers should be able to find a stadium, parking garage, or something with stairs.

Next, give preference to calisthenic movements over machines or even free weights. It keeps you honest because you could have a big bench press and still be too overweight to heave yourself over a fence or through a window. Plus, with a little imagination, calisthenic movements are just as scalable for the overweight and understrength as weights. For example: pushups against a wall, pushups against a counter, pushups against a bathtub, and on down as you get stronger, etc.

The thing that calisthenics can't do for you is make you strong at picking up a dead weight from the ground. That is an important functional movement and, unless you have access to a pile of boulders or sandbags, some kind of deadlifting movement with a barbell is your best option.

To sumarize: walk and sprint, move your bodyweight around from various angles, and pick up heavy things from the ground. That is survival fitness.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1611 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 10:29 AM

I live in South Africa, and a few months ago was not very fit at all.
I have since joined a local Hiking club, and we do at least 10-15km per week or so.
I also play Airsoft which is physically demanding at times.
Lastly, I cycle once or twice a week, and do sprints around my block.

I need to increase my fitness though by extending my hikes, runs and cycles.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:07 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,739 Posts

My "Lifestyle" Keeps me in shape. It is a physical Lifestyle.
The Following User Says Thank You to 6.8SPC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.8SPC View Post
My "Lifestyle" Keeps me in shape. It is a physical Lifestyle.
The best option when possible.

But some people don't have the requirement to cut and carry a lot of firewood or walk a trapline on snowshoes. Those folks need to include things in their lives to reproduce the physical requirments of tasks you do daily.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1611 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 02:12 PM
Is a great cartridge.

Thanked 5,594 Times in 1,739 Posts

I agree 101%..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1611 View Post
The best option when possible.

But some people don't have the requirement to cut and carry a lot of firewood or walk a trapline on snowshoes. Those folks need to include things in their lives to reproduce the physical requirments of tasks you do daily.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:58 AM

I have come to realise that by doing many things around the house instead of paying someone, can also contribute to good exercise.
Like mowing the lawn yourself instead of using a garden service.
Chopping wood.
Digging, renovating and carrying stuff where it needs to be.
Sounds basic, but good.
The Following User Says Thank You to TitaniumAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 AM
Target Shooter

Physical fitness an knowledge are the two most important preps. These two things will improve your chance of surviving most SHTF scenarios than a warehouse full of food, guns, and medicine. All preps can be lost, stolen, or you could be forced from the area where your preps are stored. Then what?

Even if I didn't have a prep mindset fitness would be my top priority. It's the first thing on my schedule each day. If I need to make an appointment for anything, I schedule it around workouts.

I hit the gym 4-5 days a week. I start off with 20-30 minutes of cardio then have varied workouts using free weights, machines, body weight, and TRX straps.
Three days a week I train in Brazilian Jujitsu. If you've never rolled before, let me tell you, it is definitely anaerobic with the added benefit of learning some self defense skills. My 3rd shift job keeps me from attending any striking classes at my MMA school. I'm restricted to GI BJJ due to my schedule. At 51 BJJ has improved my cardio to the point I beat most of the youngsters in my unit in the APFT run. It's also satisfying to submit a kid 80lbs heavier and 25 years younger.

I mentioned TRX strap. For those of you not familiar. I used to see these straps at my gym and it was mostly fat old ladies using them guided by useless gym employed personal trainers(money generators). I was recently at Fort Drum, NY for a week long fitness class, Mountain Athlete Warrior. The Army is evolving the PT program to a more functional fitness system. It's about time. Part of the class covered TRX and it shocked me how effective they are. You can perform roughy 300 different exercises with them and it utilizes body weight. The best part is they fit in a tiny nylon bag and can be used with nearly any door or simply tied around a tree limb. Great for a prepper or someone that travels for work. You can get a great workout in your hotel room.
The downsize is they're expensive. I bought the high end set that retails for $300. I went on Craig's List and got them for $140. There are cheaper suspension training systems out there; some as cheap as $50.
Now that I own some I realized most of the members at my gym shy away from them only because they don't know how to properly utilize them.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:47 AM

When I first started prepping I was 100lbs over weight. It would nearly kill me to walk a mile or do anything physically active. I knew I had to do something so I made a drastic lifestyle change and dropped 81 pounds so far. I'm 7 pounds away from being considered in the healthy weight range, but I can now be physically active without feeling like I'm dying. Major health issues subsided and my vision became much better because my blood sugar dropped dramatically. I mostly walk/jog with my dog and am conscious of what I eat now. DH and I spend a lot more time together hiking and fishing now which has made our marriage stronger. I used to lay around at home when he went, but now it's something we do together. I try and incorporate other activities in each week, but walking/jogging is my primary workout for now
The Following User Says Thank You to lashleighxd For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Information Super-Shammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lashleighxd View Post
When I first started prepping I was 100lbs over weight. It would nearly kill me to walk a mile or do anything physically active. I knew I had to do something so I made a drastic lifestyle change...
This was the same situation as myself. I also got a very physical job when I had decided to get healthy so losing weight and building healthy muscles and lungs was basically what I got paid to do. I try to stay in half decent physical shape these days. Now that my life has slowed down a lot it's starting to get harder. Can't go back to living like that though. I refuse.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,735 Times in 8,204 Posts

I get paid to work out 1 hour each day. Though, I do more on my own time.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 6,265 Times in 2,189 Posts

I spend so much time hiking, fishing, rock climbing and skiing in the high country I just don't hafta worry 'bout it.
Right now at 5 foot 8 inches tall and #170 I am a lean, fit, tough, strong guy thoroughly adapted to life above 10,000 feet. Look closely at my arms. Notice the ruck? I have no doubt I could easily out hump all but a small handful of members here. With a rifle. With an injured comrade. At night. In bad weather. In really steep rough terrain. After 3 days with little sleep and no food.

My lifestyle and my diet along with the genetics the Almighty blessed me with keep me pretty much a "Neanderthal".
I am the sort of person the "Golden hoard" will be facing when they decide to "Bug out to the mountains."!!!!

Bear Magnet out.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,190 Times in 4,167 Posts

It is part of my preps but the hard part is finding time in my day to do it. I do walk the dog every day, but it is hard fitting in exercise round the carer, housework etc stuff I have to do.

I also have weight issues now, caused by bad sleep patterns while being a carer, yep it's a proven link now, which really miffed me somewhat as I'd kept the weight off for a good 7 years before that. Grrrrrrrrrrrr. I think I will make it an early Christmas present to myself to get exceptionally fit and healthy for next year.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Ever since I got an office job, physical exercise has taken the back burner. I've got 1,300 miles worth of biking in this year and that is only because my office at work decided to have a small competition this year for it (and no, I'm nowhere even close to first place). And quite honestly, I don't think you get near the workout while you bike compared to running. If we do this again for next year I'll see if I can't get running thrown into the mix as well.